PDA

View Full Version : Getting the lead out ( HELP ! )

FloridaFlyBoy
10-15-2013, 09:30 PM
sorry, double posting-newbie-not sure how to fix it

FloridaFlyBoy
10-15-2013, 09:33 PM
Getting the lead out ( HELP ! )
I am new to cast boolits, and also steel targets for pistols.

My club requires at less than 25 yds. that lead be used on steel targets ( ricochet problems with jacketed.)

I have shot my .357 Colt Python, and Ruger Redhawk .44 Mag with cast boolits. I am concerned with getting lead build-up, as I have noticed a difference in the throat of ( primarily) the Colt barrel .( silvery streaks and discoloration at the throat, silver circles toward the front ends of the cylinder chambers)

I do not want to ruin the crown by rubbing and scrubbing pushing the rod in and out of the barrel numerous times. ( I have tried using a soft metal rod, phosphor bronze brush, alternating Hoppe's #9, then Birchwood Casey products, including a soaking swab of the barrel for a few hours)

Any good suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks y'all,

500MAG
10-15-2013, 09:39 PM
Choreboy works pretty good with removing lead. Also, if your getting that much leading your doing something wrong. Proper boolit sizing and lube will cure your problems. From the description it seems your having problems with both. My Redhawk 44 has no leading issues and I have shot nothing but lead out of it for 30 years.

FloridaFlyBoy
10-15-2013, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the reply. I am not casting my own ( newbie), and using commercially cast from Space Coast Bullets, Florida.

How should I lube in this case (home reload cartridges, CCI primers, Winchester W231 mid-range powder load, Lee 4 turret press, Lee dies, factory spec's regarding OAL and powder )

Your suggestions and guidance are greatly appreciated.

454PB
10-15-2013, 09:56 PM
You're using Lee dies......does that include a factory crimp die?

500MAG
10-15-2013, 10:03 PM
Check with the different suppliers and see what the sizing is. You can slug your barrels to check what size you need. Also, once you have the size you need, you can place a "buy" ad and I'm sure there are guys here that will sell you the boolits you need in the proper size and maybe even lubed. For now, you can tumble lube the ones you buy with Lee Liquid Alox. If the leading is occurring at the end of the barrel it means you are running out of lube.

turmech
10-15-2013, 10:06 PM
http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm

The link above is to a free book which would most likely answer all your question and some you don't even know you have yet. The members here will help you as well but it is hard to help without some basics. There are also stickies on this site which have tons of information.

And welcome to the site.

freebullet
10-15-2013, 10:09 PM
I had a leading issue in a 357 earlier this year. I found that a boresnake is the easiest way to deal with it, no rod nec. You can wrap a few strings of dead soft copper chore boy scrubbers around it if you need to, but the built in brushes take care of most issues. I've found that using a fast evaporating solvent on the boresnake works great because its gone before your range session is over.
Make a dummy round pull the bullet & measure it, sometimes your crimp will resize the boolit. It happens

FloridaFlyBoy
10-15-2013, 10:11 PM
You're using Lee dies......does that include a factory crimp die?

Yes, a very light crimp on the .44, which I loaded as .44 Spl. , and some .38 reloads from a gun show for the Colt Python .357

FloridaFlyBoy
10-15-2013, 10:15 PM
Thanks guys for all the input. I really appreciate them all,

Paul

FloridaFlyBoy
10-15-2013, 11:56 PM
http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm

The link above is to a free book which would most likely answer all your question and some you don't even know you have yet. The members here will help you as well but it is hard to help without some basics. There are also stickies on this site which have tons of information.

And welcome to the site.

Thanks! And Oh...how littel I knew. Chap. 7 nearly describes my predicament. Thanks so much for a great suggestion