PDA

View Full Version : Cast Lead Boolits with Lee Classic Reloader

Squeaky3436
10-15-2013, 08:03 PM
Hi All,

I am new to the forum and have some general questions for you more experienced reloaders. I am trying to put togethor a super basic, on the move reloading kit and after research I chose to cast my bullets and reload with a Lee Classic "Wack It" style handloader. I am familiar with presses, dies etc.. but for this project I wanted something that was compact and could be used in the field with minimal concerns so I chose the Lee Classic.

That being said, are there any issues I should be concerned with in regards to reloading pure lead cast bullets with a lee mold and a Lee Classic Reloader? I have read some forums where people say they have been doing this for years with no issues and others have been commenting on problems with the crimping and bullet set depth after feeding on 9mm..

Appreciate the info!

TMenezes
10-15-2013, 08:45 PM
Never tried that style of reloading. I use a single stage press and dies.

Also I don't reload 9mm, heard that round can be tricky.

I assume your building some sort of 'bug out' for shtf scenarios. In that case I would say you can make it work if you had to as long as you weren't going for max pressures or velocities.

I am reading a bit into what your saying so correct me if I am not on your track. But in such a situation most lead you come across is not pure. Most (not all) but most of the lead commonly available is not pure and will have some hardeners added by the industrial manufacture. Usually antimony as its the cheapest, but also a bit of tin or a trace of arsinic.

jmort
10-15-2013, 09:07 PM
Get this for cast bullets and the Lee Loader:

http://leeprecision.com/custom-flaring-tool-for-lee-loader.html

Mine took about 2 weeks. I doubt it will take as long as they state.

Squeaky3436
10-16-2013, 12:05 AM
We'll I guess you could say that type of scenario is what I had in mind. Generally I was trying to gear toward more of a self reliant situation when it comes to ammo. I want to be able to make ammo if there is a time I can't get it without spending a ton of money on a full press and die set. Right now I have 20lbs of lead, some unique, primers, a couple molds and a couple lee classic loaders just in case I need them. I appreciate the info and I'm hearing a few folks say 9mm is tough.

Squeaky3436
10-16-2013, 12:09 AM
Thanks jmortimer, that takes care of the flaring but what do you think about crimping? I have heard some people worried that cast boolits can easily slide back and set deeper during cycling causing pressure issues? Have you heard or experienced this? The Lee Classic doesn't have a crimp option without finishing the reload in a press/die if I understand correctly.

jmort
10-16-2013, 12:16 AM
I watched a couple videos and it may not crimp 9 mm. The revolver models roll crimp. Instructions say no crimp for semi-auto ammunition.

Squeaky3436
10-16-2013, 12:33 AM
Awesome thanks!