PDA

View Full Version : Star vs. Phelps

Morgan Astorbilt
11-04-2007, 02:47 PM
The Star and Phelps sizer-lubricators appear to be identical. I know the Phelps uses the Star dies. Is the quality the same, and are the rest of the parts interchangeable? A used Phelps doesn't seem to bring the high prices the Star does.
Morgan

rbwillnj
11-05-2007, 09:37 AM
For all practical purposes, Stars and Phelps are the same. I have owned them both. You can use Star dies and punches in a Phelps, and visa versa. Many of the other parts are interchangable, but I wouldn't want to claim that they are all interchangeable because I haven't tried it. I have one Star that has a Phelps casting on it.

Whether it's a reloader or a lubesizer, Stars always bring more money than a Phelps.

Morgan Astorbilt
11-05-2007, 09:58 AM
Thanks, I'm not interested in resale value, just functionality. Due to the supply of cheap cast bullets used in cowboy action shooting, drying up, I've returned to casting my own. My son and I shoot about 750/mo., and am just trying to increase my sizing and lubing speed. I've heard that the Phelps tools are variable as far as quality, and want to know that I can repair it if necessary.
Morgan

omgb
11-05-2007, 10:32 AM
A call to Magma will confirm this but In my experience, Phelps parts will not interchange with Star thus leaving you with an orphan should something internal break. A new Magma Star will interchange with the old Stars and can be had, sans dies brand new for under $250. You might save $125 or so by buying the Phelps but once it breaks all you've got is a $100 boat anchor.

As to quality, that all depends. Some Phelps units were well made, some had issues. Quality was not consistant from machine to machine. The real issue though was with the reloaders. Those were not even in the same league with the Star machines as far as quality and funtionality goes.

Sundogg1911
11-05-2007, 03:35 PM
I have both. The handles are different. The Phelps handle is cast, and much heavier, also there are allen head screws that hold the body of the machine to the lube resovoir, if these screws loosen up the handle goes out of alignment and it binds. Other than that they seem to be the same. The Phelps has a little better leverage because of the longer cast handle. I really can't say that I think one is any better or worse than the other. If you look at the castings they look identical, except where the Star has the name and address, the Phelps says nothing. Both of my Phelps sizers were purchased from a Guy that thought that they were Stars

rbwillnj
11-05-2007, 06:25 PM
I have heard the stories about variable quality with Phelps, but I have yet to see it. I currently have 5 Star Reloaders and one Phelps, and have refurbished and sold another half dozen Star Universals, and one Phelps. The Stars are fantastic, but I can't see any place were the Phelps fall short. None the less, they are copes of the Stars, but very good copies. The same can't be said for the Berdon and CPM copies.

deltaenterprizes
11-21-2007, 01:17 PM
I have had both,Phelps is a real close copy and parts should interchange