PDA

View Full Version : Bible of Handloading?

SCHUETZENBOOMER
10-15-2013, 01:32 PM
Is there a definitive read on the theory of handloading?

Questions like: how do I determine what powder is best for my XX Wildcat or what powders perform better with a little compression, or what case capacity is near ideal for a caliber/powder combo, or…….? I have experimented with wildcats for years and come to some of my own conclusions but would love to read others opinions on some of these subjects. The more I learn the farther I get set back with more questions. The multitude of modern powder selection is nothing short of mind-numbing to me. (Oh, to have a keg of the original surplus H-4831for my .257Imp!)

oldpapps
10-15-2013, 03:08 PM
My, that would be grand. New information, up-to-date components and all of the new great and less than great chamberings.

But, alas, I know of none. And I do hope that I'm told of one or two here.

My out-of-date standards are:
For the 'How to' data - 'The NRA Handloader's Guide', mine is dated 1969.
For the 'What there is (or was) data - 'Cartridges of the World' by Frank C. Barnes, mine is dated 1972.

If someone [with a lot of knowledge] were to put together a good, unbiased, source, I think it would be a big seller, bound or PDF format. I would buy it.

Load with care,

OSOK

Bent Ramrod
10-15-2013, 03:31 PM
Naramore's Principles and Practice of Reloading Ammunition, though dated in terms of component availability, has a scheme for working up optimum loads with unknown powders. Ackley's Handbooks for Shooters and Reloaders have some general information on wildcatting and its aims, with a treatise on the extent to which cartridge cases are optimum or "overbore" for their calibers.

There is no one place where all the info and theory resides. I don't think, from reading gun magazines, that there is any consensus on what is the best powder, or case shape, or level of compression, or anything, for a given cartridge. It seems to change from month to month, and from advertising campaign to advertising campaign.

bangerjim
10-15-2013, 04:22 PM
Check out http://www.lasc.us

Pretty everything you need to know about casting, loading, gun stuff!

bangerjim

Garyshome
10-15-2013, 04:28 PM
That lasc is a great site. much info.

cbrick
10-15-2013, 05:43 PM
Check out http://www.lasc.us

Pretty everything you need to know about casting, loading, gun stuff! bangerjim

That lasc is a great site. much info.

Aww, now you made me blush. :oops:

Online you can still find "Complete Guide to Handloading" by Phil Sharpe. It is outdated as to modern powders but there is more info in that book than a normal person can digest. Ole Phil was one sharp cookie. (pun intended) :mrgreen:

Rick

MtGun44
10-15-2013, 06:26 PM
cbrick,

Please educate me. Are you related to the LASC site? I know Glen has posted a lot there, but not sure about you.

Bill

OuchHot!
10-15-2013, 07:54 PM
I do not have, and haven't tried the Handloading magazine cd compendium. It is spendy but if you can truly search the cd you would have an amazing amount of info all the way back to Ken Waters pet loads and other data. I have almost the complete hardcopy of handloader and from the old days, there was a lot of good info.....but hard to search.

cbrick
10-15-2013, 08:22 PM
cbrick, Please educate me. Are you related to the LASC site? I know Glen has posted a lot there, but not sure about you. Bill

lasc.us is my web site, for good or bad every page. I thought most of the old salts here new that. I started it for the club but it quickly morphed into a cast boolit and article site and there are only a few casters at LASC. I published everything from Glen I could get, many articles he wrote for the lasc.us site and he offered me the book for exclusive publishing. Since I escaped from California someone else is doing another web site for the club.

I do not have, and haven't tried the Handloading magazine cd compendium. It is spendy but if you can truly search the cd you would have an amazing amount of info all the way back to Ken Waters pet loads and other data. I have almost the complete hardcopy of handloader and from the old days, there was a lot of good info.....but hard to search.

I have all of the paper Handloaders up until about 10 years ago but I have every issue on DVD plus most of the other CD's Wolfe put out. Anymore I get the current years magazines on DVD in December. There is a wealth of info there but to be honest, this site has better more up to date casting info. Most of the casting info in Handloader is from years past and rehashes things that many here have debunked as old wives tales.

Rick

OuchHot!
10-15-2013, 08:46 PM
I agree Rick. I took the op question to be handloading in general. Handloader mag was never that much for cast boolits, sadly. In my opinion, the magazine is sliding downhill even so.

jmort
10-15-2013, 09:45 PM
It should be called AKSC. Never knew it was your site. Well God Bless you for all the help it provides.

Postalpaul
10-15-2013, 10:16 PM
This is an excellent question, one I had myself

Wish all the companies would collaborate on this project

oscarflytyer
10-15-2013, 11:02 PM
Dean Grenell's "The ABC's of Reloading - January 12, 2005" (author, and then editor of some later editions). I have a copy. Priceless! It is probably as close as any reloading "bible" as I have ever seen. No clue if you can get a copy these days...

Other one - I JUST got a copy - I would recommend is Waters' "Pet Loads." It is NOT a reloading bible, but it sure will save you a ton of wasted experimenting in your loads.

Neither is new printing stuff. A lot of older info. And MUST check ALL published loads against CURRENT data! But both of these should be priceless in getting you started. Other two books I would recommend are the Lyman Reloading manual and the Lyman Cast Bullet Manual. Espec the Cast manual if that is what you are going to shoot.

bangerjim
10-16-2013, 12:16 AM
cbrick........you are scholar and a gentleman! Kudos in spades to you for one of the most valuable sites I have ever found. Between this and yours, people young and old, novice or expert can share and learn.

Thanks!

banger