PDA

View Full Version : My church needs help adding on

pmer
10-15-2013, 08:55 AM
I go to a small non denominational church and we are adding on to the building. They are adding bath rooms and a small office area and increasing the size of the sanctuary for a larger congregation. It's a wood frame building with a shingle roof.

We thought we had enough for a good start but got hit with higher expenses for engineered trusses and floor members. The situation is such that some serious help is needed for materials because it sounds like there isn't enough cash on hand for roof sheeting and or shingles. Parts of the existing building are exposed to weather because new walls are up and attached.

So I'm faced with wanting to help any way I can, I think I need to learn how chase up low cost building materials or learn how to ask for financial help.

Any ideas out there to help a small church in need?

Zymurgy50
10-15-2013, 09:03 AM
Try checking with the local building trades unions. They can at least point you in the right direction.

MT Gianni
10-15-2013, 07:28 PM
In general Union members take an oath to work for scale or give it away. You might see what they can do. If you cannot afford materials to finish it is past time to talk to a banker.

pmer
10-15-2013, 08:57 PM
Okay thanks for the tips. I didn't now about the oath. They seem to have the trades covered, I think it's more on the funding end.

Postalpaul
10-15-2013, 10:22 PM
Check with your local union hall
They will volunteer from time to time!

Sometimes you can hit the lumber yards and score some free seconds/blems

Good luck

unclogum bill
10-15-2013, 10:46 PM
This really sounds nuts even to me but, Mitt Romney: info@mittromney.com

Romney for President, Inc.
Post Office Box 149756
Boston, MA 02114-9756
Phone: 857-288-3500 Send the guy an email, God works in funny ways and listening to him talk ,he gives a lot to charity.

williamwaco
10-15-2013, 10:46 PM
Google "Church Bonds"

This is a fairly common way for churches to finance improvements.

MaryB
10-15-2013, 10:51 PM
Need any vinyl siding I have 400 sq feet left over from a project, starter strips, corners, j channel etc. About $800 worth for $400 Menards Cedar Creek double dutchlap

jsizemore
10-15-2013, 11:43 PM
Fund raisers. BBQ chicken plates, fish fry, yard sale, pancake dinner,etc. Every little bit helps.

unclogum bill
10-16-2013, 12:17 AM
Fund raisers. BBQ chicken plates, fish fry, yard sale, pancake dinner,etc. Every little bit helps.When l was a kid Granddad use to pack us up and stuff us in the Baptist Church . Was a depressed area and the usher would usually pass the plate 3 times before he would let us go. He never got our fish fry money though. Down the road was an all you can eat and we could eat. Our pay for humping bales. slopping pigs AND tending chickens ( some 50,000 at a time). Good times....

Bzcraig
10-16-2013, 01:06 AM
Hardhats for Christ, Tradesmen whose ministry is to donate time for worthwhile building projects. They may have a local group or be able to mobilize one.
http://www.hh4c.org/

waksupi
10-16-2013, 01:30 AM
Ask your local lumber yard. Tax write off for them.

pmer
10-16-2013, 09:16 AM
Many thanks for the suggestions I will bring these back to Pastor Harvey and check lumber yards. I did ask for an itemized list of material needed in hopes of showing to lumber yards. I sure other members are working on something too.

The church is small, they don't have a full time staff and it's so far out in the country one member bow hunts across the street and there is rifle hunting on property out back. We have a pastor and 5 elders. The pastor is a retired teacher from a seminary and is like a walking biblical encyclopedia. So I'm learning things like Aaronic Priest hood and the Davidic Throne. He coined the term "dusty bible" that I used in my Bible 101 thread.

Funny thing is that I drove by this church my whole life while going to another church. Years ago it was Baptist and I was Lutheran.

I'd like to go on but I have to start moving for work. Again thanks and blessings.

Recluse
10-16-2013, 11:38 AM
Check with the larger non-denominational churches and see what assistance they might offer. I know our church has helped smaller growing churches with facilities improvement projects. A lot of such churches help smaller churches in outlying areas as part of our mission according to Acts chapter 1, verse 8:

But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.

This verse talks about our influence in our local community, then area, then nation, then throughout the world.

Ask around with some of the larger churches that have deeper pockets and see if they will/can help.

:coffee: