PDA

View Full Version : Questions on Lyman lube sizers

randy_68
10-15-2013, 07:53 AM
I'm just a small time, beginning caster and I have been upgrading my equipment as I go. I just ordered a couple of NOE molds and have some Lyman, RCBS and Lee molds that I use but I have always tumble lubed with 45/45/10 Alox mix. It seems to do fine and is easy for me since I use the Lee push thru sizers. I have a mix of tumble lube and conventional groove boolits. However I am thinking about going to a Lyman sizer since some of my bullet molds are the conventional type lube grooves.
My questions are
Is there a big advantage to going to a Lyman sizer over the Lee push thu?
What are the advantages/disadvantages between the 45,450 and 4500?
Any advice is much appreciated.

theperfessor
10-15-2013, 11:47 AM
Lyman sizes and lubes at same time, gives wider choice of lubricants.

The 45 is a different design than the 450/4500. the 4500 is just an updated 450 and is similar in design to the RCBS sizer. The 45 isn't as strong overall but is an easy to use luber with many fans. My BIL has one and loves it. All take the same nose punches and sizing dies, but the 45 uses a setscrew that bears on a groove around the die, while the 450/4500 use a 7/8" hex nut with a very fine thread to hold the dies in the luber.

randy_68
10-15-2013, 03:05 PM
theperfessor, thanks for the info. I see you are in Evansville, I am in Dale just up the road about 50 miles. I will send you an email about your products.

Mike,also thanks for the info about the perfessor and his set up.

MT Chambers
10-15-2013, 04:10 PM
I'd go with the RCBS luber over the Lyman, more robust......because you still want to size and lube all in one.

gwpercle
10-16-2013, 04:37 PM
I have a Lyman 450 sizer. I LOVE it. What I like about it is it lubes and sizes in one stroke. Goes in , a small tweak of the lube handle , raise the handle, it comes out and you are done. I don't care for the look of tumble lubed bullets and I always make a mess when pan lubeing. So the lube/sizer works better for me. Not to mention you can tailor the size of the boolit to your bore or throat. So many times "as cast" just isn't quite right . It's not realy necessary to have one but it does speed up the boolit making process.

Gary