PDA

View Full Version : Off topic but need help

44man
11-04-2007, 12:12 PM
I need a cheap but good recorder that can be plugged into the computer. Then I want a program (Free download if possible.) to analyze the frequencys picked up. Decibals don't matter.
I have a heck of a time with some bows that are quiet but generate a high freq sound that scares the devil out of deer. When the wind dies in the evening and it gets still, I can not hit a deer with one bow at all, every one jumps the string.
I would like to work on the bow and find out how to stop the noise.
If I buy a new bow I want to record a bunch and see which do not generate the wrong noise.

Junior1942
11-04-2007, 12:19 PM
Try the sound recorder built in to Windows. It includes an oscilloscope-like window.

Scrounger
11-04-2007, 02:06 PM
Is it the bow or the bowstring that is making the noise? Whichever it is, it's diameter and tension are what is controlling the vibration frequency, altering either of those should change it somewhat. Ever see the weights attached near the ends of gun barrels? Their purpose is to modify/ stifle the vibrations. I wonder if attaching a weight near the ends of the bow would do the same? Easy enough to try. Easiest way to get what you want might be to record the sounds on a simple portable pocket recorder and then take it to a TV repair shop or electronics repair place and have them graph it for you.

waksupi
11-04-2007, 03:44 PM
Try Polderbits. i believe they have a 30 day free trial, and I seem to recall it has a frequency monitor in some part of the program.

44man
11-04-2007, 03:46 PM
It's not the string. I have tried all kinds of silencers on it and have the best right now. None made any difference. The whole bow has a higher pitch then the other ones. I even put the rubber dampers on it and a special stabilizer.
The string is heavy as the bow is heavy. With everything off of the bow it still makes the high pitch sound. I can't blame the quiver, sight or anything else.
Low frequency noise will not bother deer no matter how loud but once a freq gets to a certain high point, they go nuts. The sound can't be heard by the human ear. Like a silent dog whistle.

crabo
11-04-2007, 04:09 PM
Here you go.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Lloyd Smale
11-04-2007, 04:24 PM
had a golden eagle that did the same from new. Never did pin down the problem but it did spook deer. My cure was a credit card.

44man
11-04-2007, 09:04 PM
I took my other bow today and shot a large doe. No problems at all. This is my second archery deer this season. Now it is time for revolvers.

44man
11-04-2007, 09:13 PM
Crabo, I can't get it to download. I am having a friend try.

AZ-Stew
11-05-2007, 03:37 PM
Since you've tried silencers on both the bow and the string (would have been my suggestion) with no positive results, have you tried contacting the manufacturer? They may know the secret and have a fix for it.

My $0.02.

Regards,

Stew

44man
11-05-2007, 11:09 PM
OK, I got the download and bought a recorder at Radio Shack. Testing will be done once I figure out how to use both.
Stew, no one agrees with me about the frequency thing. Not even the company that makes all the rubber silencer stuff. They just say any load noise scares them. Trouble is that all of my bows are quiet to a human. Some of the quietest bows I have had could not hit a deer. I test with squirrels! :mrgreen: If one on the ground doesn't move when shot at, neither will a deer.
The sound is subtle. In the morning when crows, wind and squirrels are making noise, it damps out whatever scares the deer.