PDA

View Full Version : Police in trouble

leeggen
10-14-2013, 09:55 PM
This morning in around Nashville a police officer was dispatched to a neighborhood about a coyote running around. The animal control was too far away so the officer was told to take care of this. after shooting the yote one neighbor has 2 bullet holes in his truck door and one has a hole thru his daughters bedroom window while she was in the room. the police say it was richichaes and will investigate to see if the officer did anything wrong.
Lets see what did he do wrong, rifle fire in a close neighborhood, 3 shots to kill yote, so on and on we go, not to mention why not leave the yote alone he was only looking for breakfastprobably from trash cans. Rubber bullets would have been fine too.
nothing against any of you that are policemen but this was really stupid.
CD

mac60
10-14-2013, 10:06 PM
Of course, the consequences for the cop will be nil. On the other hand if you or I did the same thing it would be a life changing event with huge consequences.

SeabeeMan
10-14-2013, 10:14 PM
No question that he failed in following a fundamental rule of firearm safety: be aware of your target and what is beyond. Obviously "beyond" was a surface prone to causing ricochets. I have the utmost respect for LEO's and have a few in the family, but he's lucky he didn't kill somebody and heads ought to roll from his up to the chief. I'd be very concerned by a department that lax in its firearm safety.

runfiverun
10-14-2013, 10:15 PM
so did he get the coyote or just shoot the place up??

oh coyotes [and Mtn. Lions] are prone to eating pets rather than garbage, now bears on the other hand...

labdwakin
10-14-2013, 10:16 PM
Having been to Nashville for work a few years ago and having to interface with Nashville PD because of my job at the time... I'm not surprised.

Garyshome
10-14-2013, 10:37 PM
None of us would do anything that STUPID!

turmech
10-14-2013, 10:45 PM
I can already read the headlines, it was cause by one of the evil black rifles no fault of the officer. At least that seems to be the trend.

pmer
10-14-2013, 10:51 PM
darn coyote wouldn't stand still..

gandydancer
10-14-2013, 11:01 PM
Most cops could not hit a cow in the answer with a Banjo.All cops should be "and they all say that they are" made to maintain a score level on a range with all types of weapons called for on their jobs. and to maintain that level or dismissed. and with all the shootings of late from trigger happy cow pasture commandos and their commanding officers saying it was all done by the book. I say BS. time for a new book.

geargnasher
10-14-2013, 11:04 PM
Did the officer get arrested and charged for reckless endangerment, destruction of property, attempted murder, or anything else? It was a freakin' COYOTE, it doesn't need to be dead badly enough to nearly kill someone's little girl, or even put holes in someone's truck for that matter. What sort of officer that would be so reckless? Either stupidity, a monumental lapse of good judgement, or no fear of consequences. I would expect a cop to at the very least always be thinking of how their actions will affect their career. Of course there are LEOs, there are the Keystone Cops, and there are sanctioned goons.

Gear

leeggen
10-14-2013, 11:18 PM
Believe it or not he did get the yote. Even showed the pic of him with it lying in front of him on the ground. Sure surprized me that he killed it. They will payoff the famillies and nothing more will happen, seems to be the trend. HUMMMMM bet he was using that new fangled Long Range Precision ammo, that's why it hit the truck and a house.LOL If one of us had done this we would be in jail.
CD

starmac
10-14-2013, 11:25 PM
What exactly does a guy say when he calls the police and reports a coyote???

badge176
10-15-2013, 12:14 AM
Of course, the consequences for the cop will be nil. On the other hand if you or I did the same thing it would be a life changing event with huge consequences.

There will be days of unpaid suspension for antics like that, if not dismissal.

On a funny note, only because to guy who did it is a complete tool, we had an officer once shot a wounded (car crash) deer witha 12g slug- went right through the deer and put like 4 holes in the nearby resident's hot tub. One of the Fire Fighter doodled up a cartoon that will be haunting that cop all the way to retirement, and the city paid to replace the hot tub. Never heard what sort of discipline was applied, if any.

I always make certain of my backstop when putting injured animals down. Once forgot about the "line of sight- not even with the line of bore" feature on AR 15 patrol rifle and my close range headshot below the ear became shooting the poor whitetail's lower jaw off, the whole damn thing! It got back up and trotted off into the ravine where I stalked up and put one rounds through the lungs, then I went back after my shift, tracked the blood and dragged her out. Still feel terrible that I muffed the first round (backstop was a grassy hill topped with a concrete retaining wall). Won't ever forget the bore axis- sight axis disparity again with those rifles! Heart wrenching lesson.

Usually, I'll use my back-up .38spl with the huge open cavity ("HP" doesn't seem to capture the enormity of the Gold Dot 135g 'short barrel' load by Speer) to head shoot deer. I've not had a bullet come out the other side and terminal effect is amazing/ disturbing, by a fast/ merciful end to deer that get hung up/ impaled on wrought iron fences, stuck in between converging corners of adjacent privacy fences (folks don't realize that by trying to pull/ push/ lift a deer out of that pelvic entrapment the deer breaks their own bone struggling)

As a city policy we leave Coyotes alone, educate home owners on how to dominate/ "haze"/ or otherwise scare them off, and how to not make their yards attractive to 'yotes (no bowls of dog food on patios, garbage kept closed, don't leave 'toy' dogs out in I fenced yards unattended, etc.). We haven't had to shoot any, yet, despite the demands of the uninformed and uneccesairly terrified suburban 'sheep'

Taylor
10-15-2013, 07:26 AM
This happened in Clarksville. Tinytown road area,still some rural area there.Supposedly the coyote was rabid,or "foaming at the mouth".I agree,I don't see what the truck and house had to do with it,or why they needed to be shot.My understanding is that he never actually got the coyote.

w5pv
10-15-2013, 10:12 AM
His shotgun would have been a better choice,he needs to be required to go back to firearm safety school until he knows the rules from A-Z and Z-A.

swheeler
10-15-2013, 10:27 AM
Maybe the yote was shooting back, was he wearing a red or blue bandana, maybe his brown flannel shirt was buttoned tight around his furry little neck.

rsrocket1
10-15-2013, 10:36 AM
"You are so Nashville if"
... you are charged with protecting the public and you are a bigger menace to the citizens than a coyote on the loose.

roysha
10-15-2013, 11:01 AM
Some thoughts about coyotes:

!. A dead coyote is a good coyote.

2. They do indeed eat pets over garbage and anything that is harder to catch, such as cottontails or birds and such. Over the years we have lost dozens of chickens, kid goats, and I have no idea how many cats, to coyotes.

3. I don't know about the rest of the country, but right now we are having a severe outbreak of mange in coyotes. Mange is transmittable to all sorts of other mammals.

4. Also they are quite common carriers of rabies.

5. See note 1.

As to the cops performance, well I think it all has been pretty much said, but I believe, stupid, would pretty much cover it.

Moonie
10-15-2013, 11:08 AM
Obviously the truck and house were coming right at him in a threatening manner, probably foaming at the mouth as well...

cliff55
10-15-2013, 11:48 AM
Obviously the truck and house were coming right at him in a threatening manner, probably foaming at the mouth as well...

Worked for city street dept. When we got calls obout sick or injured animals.we would take the 22 with shorts or cb shorts and take care of it. Calling cops was a scary idea.

BBQJOE
10-15-2013, 12:58 PM
Calling the cops for anything anymore is becoming a very bad and dangerous idea.

oneokie
10-15-2013, 01:10 PM
Ryan Healy of Noble, OK was killed by a Norman, OK PDO trying to kill a snake on a bird house pole.

Abenaki
10-15-2013, 03:31 PM
Where is Hickok45 when ya need him!!!!!!!!
He would have fixed that Yote!!!!!

Take care
Abenaki

bosterr
10-15-2013, 04:43 PM
If "Gangsta Yote" was hanging out the drivers window of his low riding '63 Impala pointing his "9" sideways... absolutely justified!

MUSTANG
10-15-2013, 04:48 PM
1. Absolute stupidity on the part of the Police Officer.

2. In Las Vegas; the going rate by Metro's "Legal Representation" to make unwanted events go away is $50,000.00. This applies to situations similar to the Coyote in Nashville, "Wrong Address Raids", etc... That amount is given away far more than the public knows each year. Excuse is that it's cheaper than defending in court.

3. I could have some sympathy for the Nashville Police Officer if there had been a pack of coyotes. In the 1970's as a Young Marine on Guard Duty, I was posted to patrol the Armory Perimeter with a 12 Gauge "Trench Gun". During those times, as many older members may recall, we had these peace loving individuals from the Students for a Democratic Society, Black Panthers, and others who loved to visit armories in the middle of the night.

At about 3:00 AM, down the road came a pack of 13 Coyotes. I was surprised when they kept coming even though there was enough light to see me, not my usual experience with Coyotes back in the Panhandle of Texas. As the pack started to spread out and still come towards me, I started becoming a little worried so I yelled - No action they kept coming. I started moving toward them yelling, a few started snarling at that point. As I pumped a round into the Chamber, I began to rapidly assess exactly how many stripes and dollars this was going to cost me for an "Unauthorized Discharge". Fortunately, this particular pack of Coyotes must have come across a Pump Shotgun in their past because they all turned tail and headed off the road and up the hill into the grasslands. Back then, packs of Coyotes were at a high point with reports of attacks on babies and children particularly, but also the occasional hiker attack appeared in the papers.

Mustang

smokeywolf
10-15-2013, 05:56 PM
I'm hearing and seeing more coyotes in our neck of the woods (suburban Los Angeles/Ventura County line area). Was taking Timber for a walk in the wee hours the other night and had one cross our path (15 yards), stop, and start doing the "hey big, dark and fuzzy, come and get it dance" for Timber. He was, to say the least, quite interested. She stepped up on the curb, laid down and waited. Although Timber was of a different mind, we left her waiting and wanting. We don't let him associate with girls from the other side of the tracks.

The coyote definitely needed to be dispatched. But, as far as the way the cop shot the coyote, she screwed up and presented a more immediate danger to the residents of the neighborhood than did the yote.

smokeywolf

starmac
10-15-2013, 08:07 PM
Calling the cops for anything anymore is becoming a very bad and dangerous idea.

Agreed, but every time there is a (what to do) thread on here, that is overwhelmingly the answer.

Dale in Louisiana
10-15-2013, 08:30 PM
Worked for city street dept. When we got calls obout sick or injured animals.we would take the 22 with shorts or cb shorts and take care of it. Calling cops was a scary idea.

In most cities, you NOT being a cop would mean that you lack the special abilities to be able to wield deadly weapons. They're the 'only ones' with those skills and special personalities to safely carry and use firearms. </sarcasm>

My brother used to be a 'nuisance animal' designee with the state wildlife and fisheries department. He was called about a deer that had been hit by a car. The deer, somewhat damaged, then jumped a ditch and got tangled up in a barbed wire fence. Brother wasn't near home. He dispatched the deer with a clawhammer.

dale in Louisiana

leeggen
10-15-2013, 09:16 PM
Yep it was in Clarksville Tn. just used Nash. as close location, evryone knows where Nash. is Now the report is that the yote had distemper, as per local heath athorities, first time I ever heard of dist. causing foaming at the mouth, usually foaming from the other end. Still officer used poor safety in the action he took. They did show a pic at one time of the yote lying in front of the officer but haven't seen it sence all the publicity. Guess we have to wait and see the outcome on the last page of the local bloh bloh paper.
CD

unclogum bill
10-15-2013, 10:04 PM
Had a husky come down with distemper, It came up fast and dog could not stand, (like a balance issue. ) sent in tissue sample , seems like it took a week to get results.

nvbirdman
10-15-2013, 11:07 PM
This whole story surprised the **** out of me.
I had no idea that Barney Fife had moved to Nashville.

Bad Water Bill
10-16-2013, 01:38 AM
Several years ago the CHIRAQ police found a real live wild cougar in someones front yard.

Instead of calling either of the 2 world famous zoos in the area to tranquilize the the cat they sent in 8 - 10 cops armed with handguns.

Local papers and T V featured pictures of the dead cat laying on well manicured grass inside of a metal picket fence and the brave LEOs that protected the citizens.

Not a word about shots fired or damages done by stray rounds.

William Yanda
10-16-2013, 07:35 AM
His shotgun would have been a better choice,he needs to be required to go back to firearm safety school until he knows the rules from A-Z and Z-A.
+1 my thoughts but you said it first

southpaw
10-16-2013, 09:31 PM
For the past month or so we have been hearing yotes out in the swamp here. Do I call the state police or the township/borough cops?

I am not sure that I buy that yotes eat pets. My Mom has cats, dogs, horses, goats, chickens and possible some other things that I have forgotten and she has yet to have any of them go missing. And believe me she takes roll call.

Jerry Jr.

unclogum bill
10-16-2013, 10:17 PM
As to whether they eat pets, here's an example . Females in heat will also lure your dog to yhe coyote dinner table. How could any male be that stupid:bigsmyl2: http://youtu.be/TQbXSl1ReuQ

starmac
10-16-2013, 10:36 PM
I have had yotes tear a whole in chicken wire to get chickens, more than once. I have also had to put down grown cows that yotes have gotten to when they were calving.
I never have lost a pet to one, but the only dog that I owned in yote country made pretty short work of them. They would start singing their songs out in the pasture, and it wouldn't be long before you could listen to a huge dogfight. lol

shooterg
10-17-2013, 07:52 PM
Hey, birdman, couldna been Barney Fife. He only had one round ! Maybe that's all this guy should be issued too.