PDA

View Full Version : Bullet question?

Muddydogs
10-14-2013, 12:45 PM
Got back into muzzy hunting last year, purchased a used Knight .54 inline and have been shooting 300 grain Hornady 45 cal XTP's out of it.

Last year I shot a fork horn Mule deer at about 50 yards bullet hit about the 3rd rib back and came out just behind the off shoulder, hitting the lungs and top of the heart. Exit wound was not much bigger then bullet diameter and I noticed that there was just not that much damage.

This year I shot another fork horn Mule deer at about 25 yards. Deer dropped in its tracks like I had shot it with the 7mm back legs twitching. The Deer proceeded to get up and fall down twice then the third time it got up it took off. I blood trailed the deer for about 300 yards until I lost the track. Last thing I saw was a track and single spot of blood in a small patch of snow. There was not a lot of blood at the shooting sight and it quickly went to a drop here and there until I lost it. I'm thinking that I shot the deer low through the brisket and didn't hit lungs. There was blood on both sides of the track so I poked holes on both sides of the deer i'm thinking.

Although this year I messed up the shot I still have this feeling that the XTP is just to much bullet for the muzzy. I'm thinking about going with my Lee 452 230 TC TL bullet. The bullet casts at 240 grains with wheel weights which keeps me legal in Utah. Do you guys think this is enough bullet for deer and elk? I'm shooting 110 grains of Pyrodex with the XTP's.

Rattus58
10-14-2013, 01:37 PM
Got back into muzzy hunting last year, purchased a used Knight .54 inline and have been shooting 300 grain Hornady 45 cal XTP's out of it.

Last year I shot a fork horn Mule deer at about 50 yards bullet hit about the 3rd rib back and came out just behind the off shoulder, hitting the lungs and top of the heart. Exit wound was not much bigger then bullet diameter and I noticed that there was just not that much damage.

This year I shot another fork horn Mule deer at about 25 yards. Deer dropped in its tracks like I had shot it with the 7mm back legs twitching. The Deer proceeded to get up and fall down twice then the third time it got up it took off. I blood trailed the deer for about 300 yards until I lost the track. Last thing I saw was a track and single spot of blood in a small patch of snow. There was not a lot of blood at the shooting sight and it quickly went to a drop here and there until I lost it. I'm thinking that I shot the deer low through the brisket and didn't hit lungs. There was blood on both sides of the track so I poked holes on both sides of the deer i'm thinking.

Although this year I messed up the shot I still have this feeling that the XTP is just to much bullet for the muzzy. I'm thinking about going with my Lee 452 230 TC TL bullet. The bullet casts at 240 grains with wheel weights which keeps me legal in Utah. Do you guys think this is enough bullet for deer and elk? I'm shooting 110 grains of Pyrodex with the XTP's.
No offense.... lead is a wonderful media for killing deer. Driven too fast, XTP can fail to expand I'm told and a shot through a wood post confirms that if the hole gets plugged, it won't expand well.

Since you're using sabots anyway, try some lead 45-70 bullets or even some 50's... made of lead and see how that works would be my prescription for this.... but then I shoot a 58 ... that leaves a nice hole as it... :grin:

johnson1942
10-14-2013, 03:01 PM
you will probably find the 250 grain bullet wont be as accurate as the 300grain bullet, i would go with the suggestion of 45/70 (.458) sized fown to .451 or.452. of find .458 sabots. also go to at leaste 400 grain bullets. most likely a 1/28 twist gun so also try a .50 sabot with a 500 grain bullet in it. mmp sells all sizes off of the internet. too much bullet, i dont understand that. when they drop they drop and dont suffer and you dont have to track them. idaho ron just posted about shooting a elk with a 500 grain bullet and he got his deer recently out west with a .45 (i think) 400 or so grain bullet. i have a muzzle loader that i have stated is too much gun for deer and it shoots a 720 grain pp bullet. however im in the process of have a castbullet bullet made for it at close to 700 grains and im sure i will use it again for deer, if i live long enough. ill make you an offer that others have accepted. i have tons of swageing equipment and i like to use it. you sent me a box of soft, 30/to 1 or 20/to1 500 grain 45/70 bullets and i will reshape swage them to a round nose .50 flat solid base bullet. all you have to do is send me return postage and they will be back in a week. also buy the .50 mmp sabot. in a .54 gun recoil wont even be that bad. go bigger not smaller, the offer stands, and have fun.