PDA

View Full Version : Raspberries

el34
10-13-2013, 09:16 PM
ES powdercoating has become a big part of the whole casting/reloading hobby for me. I even acetone-washed hundreds of finished lubed boolits so I could PC them.

I chose a candy raspberry from powderbuythepound for the 102gr 356RN for 380 auto. Today I coated 3 batches, total 240 pills. I also squeezed in doing 240 9mm candy teal, pics are in another thread.

84250 84251
Sittin' on the bush, before and after powdering.

84252 84253
Post-bake, pretty eh? This is really fun.

Beagle333
10-13-2013, 10:50 PM
Nifty! This looks like a much better way to lube than the way I was doing it (tumbling, dipping and pan):-D

el34
10-14-2013, 02:30 PM
Nifty! This looks like a much better way to lube than the way I was doing it (tumbling, dipping and pan):-D

If you're the type that likes to add pizazz to the purely functional you might like doing this too. There's a learning curve but not too bad. Unfortunately there's a shortage of magical 'how to PC boolits with the HF gun' youtube videos.

I can't see PC being easier than tumbling but I'd guess it to be about equal to or better than pan lubing time-wise.

IROCZ
10-20-2013, 02:02 PM
Forgive me for the dumb question but does this PC take the place of lube? Or do you still need to lube them? Either way they look cool! I could see using this to mark different loads and attract attention at the range. Way cool.

wrinkles
10-20-2013, 05:29 PM
It takes place of the lube.

SciFiJim
10-20-2013, 06:20 PM
Unfortunately there's a shortage of magical 'how to PC boolits with the HF gun' youtube videos.

If you make one and put in on youtube, then there will be one!

I really haven't given powder coating much thought, but would be interested in learning.

el34
10-20-2013, 07:13 PM
If you make one and put in on youtube, then there will be one!

No fair! We're entitled to what we want and we want it now and we need to find out why we're being cheated out of it!!

Editorial comment there. I agree with you and thought about how long it would take me to learn how to do a vid.

I really haven't given powder coating much thought, but would be interested in learning.

There is ever-increasing success here. Besides the method of application, a lingering issue is how to keep electrical conductivity from the electrostatic voltage generator (Harbor Freight system) to the boolits without making it difficult to cleanly unstick them after baking.

But you know- necessity is the mother of invention.

Echd
10-20-2013, 09:32 PM
I really can't say I have much of a problem, even on nonstick foil.

Grab them out of the oven when they're hot and either dunk the whole pan in a bucket of water or just knock them over.

I have more trouble when I bake them longer than if I do it for 10-15 min. I was doing 20 min and was indeed having some ghetto aluminum gas checks formed out of foil stuck to some bases.

el34
10-20-2013, 10:17 PM
I really can't say I have much of a problem, even on nonstick foil.

Grab them out of the oven when they're hot and either dunk the whole pan in a bucket of water or just knock them over.

I have more trouble when I bake them longer than if I do it for 10-15 min. I was doing 20 min and was indeed having some ghetto aluminum gas checks formed out of foil stuck to some bases.

If you knock them over fresh out of the oven, isn't the coating still soft and gets dinged?

I usually forget to preheat the oven so I set it for 20min. The powder specs say 15min while the base metal is 400F. I boldly guess the extra 5 will allow the boolits to get up to temp.

It would be helpful if you can put up a couple of pictures of how yours come off the foil.