PDA

View Full Version : I Hate Airports

Down South
10-13-2013, 02:44 PM
I have come to the point in life that I dread having to fly commercially. The flying part isn't so bad. It's dealing with the goofy airports and TSA.
I have to leave for Milan Italy tomorrow for a 6 hr meeting Wednesday then turn around and fly back to Houston on Thursday.
Hopefully that flight will go well since I won't be checking luggage. But going through all of the Customs is a pain. Flight leaves Houston, lands in Frankfurt Germany, then on to Milan Italy. I swap planes there Then reverse order on Thursday.
And before someone asks, these people know how to do Video Conference but they want my presence. Not only that but I'm having to bring my engineer along. So, that's two business class round trip tickets and they ain't cheap, close to $20,000 for the two of us. With cab fares, meals and motel rooms, it will be well over 20K.
I leave Houston around 4:00 PM on Monday and get to Milan at noon Tuesday.
I tried this same flight on coach class last year and said never again. I was able to trade my business class ticket for two coach tickets so my wife could come along.

Week after next I fly to Edmonton Canada for a hunting trip. I'll have check baggage this time plus my bow. I worry about my bow with all of the thievery from the baggage smashers these days.
This flight will be out of my pocket so here I go coach again.

brtelec
10-13-2013, 03:24 PM
I fly to work 5 or six times a year all over the world and I feel your pain. After doing this for 20 years I am just numb. I hardly notice any of it anymore. I agree that business class is the way to go, but some of the airlines have very nice overseas coach class seating. Any of the newer jumbo jets at British Airways and Air France tend to be nicer than the rest. If you want a real experience fly through some of the West African countries, Congo, Democratic Republic of Congo, Nigeria or Angola. That will give you a whole new outlook on flying from the US.

historicfirearms
10-13-2013, 05:01 PM
I am an airplane pilot for vocation. I get to fly out of small airports and don't have to deal with TSA. Whenever I fly on an airliner, I just have to grit my teeth because I see how ridiculous all the security bs is.

JeffinNZ
10-13-2013, 05:23 PM
You just have to 'zone out' and dedicate some of your life to idiots in positions of power. Fact of life now.

MtGun44
10-13-2013, 05:50 PM
Jeff nails it. I have traveled a lot over the last 10 years, mostly for business overseas and a few
times for pleasure, too. PITA, but not a thing you can do - any complaining and the idiots will
take it out on you and push hard enough and you'll get arrested for interfering with a federal
officer, even if he/she is a minimum wage fool.

If it were me, I'd stay a few extra days to adapt to the time change and see some sights in Italy.
Never toured Milan but Florence and Rome have some really amazing places to visit. If you rent
a bigger car, it can be interesting to cruise above 120 mph on the northern Italian autostrada.
If you spend that much money, you ought to do a little sightseeing to enjoy it, too. Doing a
quick turnaround like that is brutal.

Bill

grumman581
10-13-2013, 05:58 PM
One of the things that I noticed in Italy when I was in Europe a couple of years ago was the lack of parking spaces (and extremely narrow roads). I don't think I could have even found a parking spot for a normal size street bike (since hopping the curb is not an option with that type of bike). That's probably why you see so many scooters and dual-sport bikes over there.

I hate having to take commercial flights, but my plane just does not have the range to cross the Atlantic (or Pacific).

TXGunNut
10-13-2013, 05:59 PM
Good luck on the turnaround, a day or two there could actually shorten recovery time. I love flying but hate airports, TSA droolers and airlines so much I only fly when I absolutely have to.

Down South
10-13-2013, 08:56 PM
Jeff nails it. I have traveled a lot over the last 10 years, mostly for business overseas and a few
times for pleasure, too. PITA, but not a thing you can do - any complaining and the idiots will
take it out on you and push hard enough and you'll get arrested for interfering with a federal
officer, even if he/she is a minimum wage fool.

If it were me, I'd stay a few extra days to adapt to the time change and see some sights in Italy.
Never toured Milan but Florence and Rome have some really amazing places to visit. If you rent
a bigger car, it can be interesting to cruise above 120 mph on the northern Italian autostrada.
If you spend that much money, you ought to do a little sightseeing to enjoy it, too. Doing a
quick turnaround like that is brutal.

Bill
Bill, I've been before and did the sight seeing bit. This probably won't be my last trip to HQ. I have a lot going on this month so I'm making a quick trip such as it is. Really not much quick going to Italy and back. I may run out to
The historic part of town and walk around a bit, pick up a few souvenirs and head back to the motel.

bayjoe
10-13-2013, 09:04 PM
There is nothing about any airport that is pleasant in my opinion. I flew last month, ended up missing a plane due to weather and had to spend the night in airport. Airports suck !!!!

btroj
10-13-2013, 09:51 PM
Beats walking.

I don't care for airports but if I want/need to get somewhere I suck it up and deal with them. Gotta do what ya gotta do sometimes.

grumman581
10-13-2013, 10:15 PM
Beats walking.

I don't care for airports but if I want/need to get somewhere I suck it up and deal with them. Gotta do what ya gotta do sometimes.

And it's not like there is regular ship passenger service around the globe anymore. The passenger shipping industry these days is mainly geared towards leaving from one port and returning to that same port after stopover in a few different ports. Sometimes you can get a ship repositioning cruise where it will take you across the Atlantic or Pacific, but don't happen that often (probably only once per year for each ship each way).

And could you imagine trying to *drive* to some foreign countries from the US? Try driving to South America without having to resort to having your vehicle shipped at least part of the way.
Darién Gap (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dari%C3%A9n_Gap)

When I go to Cozumel for diving, I have a choice of a 2 hour commercial flight across the Gulf, flying my plane all the way around the Gulf via either the Yucatan or Florida and skirting Cuban airspace, or driving 1800 miles for around 30 hours in my car. One of these days, I hope to not be so pressed for time that I can actually drive there. Flying my plane there would probably only be a bit less than 1800 miles since I do not have the range to fly straight across the Gulf.

Of course, that "2 hour" commercial flight pretty much ends up taking all day once you factor in the hour drive to the airport, the extra hour to go through TSA and such, the time to get your luggage and go through Customs in Mexico, and the time to get a rental card and get to the hotel in Mexico. As such, I usually figure on a full day being wasted for travel there and back.

Sometimes, you just have to bend over, grab your ankles, and put up with the BS of the TSA and commercial flights.

btroj
10-13-2013, 10:27 PM
Having been in Rome recently I'm not sure I care to drive in some places. Traffic laws there seem to be merely suggestions.

JakeBlanton
10-13-2013, 10:30 PM
Having been in Rome recently I'm not sure I care to drive in some places. Traffic laws there seem to be merely suggestions.

I've found that to be the case in a lot of the countries that I've visited. We always said that they didn't issue cars with brakes in Italy -- they gave them horns instead.

MtGun44
10-13-2013, 10:48 PM
I lived in Italy for a few years a long time ago and found the driving style to be "envigorating". The thing
is that the rules are DIFFERENT.

1) if your CG is ahead, you have the right of way. No discussion and they MEAN IT.
2) everyone is PAYING ATTENTION and if you are not, you will be hit because they EXPECT you to have
your head out of your butt and make room if they move over with their CG 1 foot ahead of your CG, even
though there is a 3 or 4 foot overlap. The correlary is that if YOUR CG is ahead, you can smoothly move
over and they will give way without whining.
3) They are IN A HURRY and you should be moving fast and fully focused on the task at hand or you will
be run over and pushed around.
4) if you get into the game, PAY THE HECK ATTENTION and run with the flow, it can be fun.

Bill

runfiverun
10-14-2013, 12:34 PM
in other words, drive like you want to get a traffic ticket in the states. :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ic9G_psdEUk
I think it all goes something like this

Down South
10-14-2013, 02:33 PM
LOL, I know how the driving is there. I never have driven in Italy but I have taken cabs several times. The little scooters are something else, even on the way too narrow roads. They will ride beside you close enough that you could roll the window down and punch the driver. They will put their foot on your bumper at a stop light instead of putting it on the ground.
Parking is a joke. Any space that you can fit anything into has something parked in it.
I've been there before, going again and will be a good bet I'll be back in the future but I don't plan to do any driving myself.
I'm at the airport now, way early but I don't like being pushed for time.
I printed my boarding pass at the house last night and I'm glad I did. The lines to check in we're very long. There must have been 150 people trying to check in.
I'll be flying Lufthansa, Airbus A380. That is one big plane.

grumman581
10-14-2013, 02:50 PM
LOL, I know how the driving is there. I never have driven in Italy but I have taken cabs several times. The little scooters are something else, even on the way too narrow roads.

Could you image trying to drive one of our Texas sized 4 door pickups around there? Hell, it would make trying to find a parking spot for that same truck in the New Orleans French Quarter seem comparatively spacious. :)

Down South
10-14-2013, 03:01 PM
Could you image trying to drive one of our Texas sized 4 door pickups around there? Hell, it would make trying to find a parking spot for that same truck in the New Orleans French Quarter seem comparatively spacious. :)
Yes, that thought has crossed my mind a few times. I have a Dodge 1 Ton dual rear wheel long wheel base. I had problems with it in New Orleans but being used to driving it, I made out.
In Milan, it would be tough, but you could make em get out of the way. That big ole truck imtinidates lots of little vehicles.

grumman581
10-14-2013, 03:24 PM
Yes, that thought has crossed my mind a few times. I have a Dodge 1 Ton dual rear wheel long wheel base. I had problems with it in New Orleans but being used to driving it, I made out.
In Milan, it would be tough, but you could make em get out of the way. That big ole truck imtinidates lots of little vehicles.

But then you might find that someone had parked their old little Fiat in the bed of your pickup. :)

I never took my pickup into the Quarter. It was just too much of a pain to find a parking spot for. On the other hand, I had a 1995 Jeep Cherokee (XJ) that was a lot easier to park down there. It was lifted and had heavy duty aftermarket bumpers, so those those stupid horse head poles that were right on the curb were just "feelers" for me to park by.

Now, taking my pickup across the Huey P. Long Bridge was always fun. It was a guaranteed white knuckle experience for my wife. They sure had narrower lanes back then.

olereb
10-14-2013, 06:09 PM
I never liked to fly due to issues in the past with lost luggage and stuff like that but after flying to NY last week and back today I now will add hating the tsa to my list of reasons for not wanting to fly much,i swear they have to fail a iq test to get hired.

BBQJOE
10-14-2013, 06:22 PM
I used to fly all the time for work. At least once or twice a week. They were never short flights. It always seemed to be from one side of the country to the other. It used to be fun, right up until OK city happened. That's when the whole flying thing went downhill, and became a PITA.
I absolutely hate the hell out of flying now, and won't do it, unless it's critical.

I'm sure it's not the right answer for all, but there is only one thing I can say. ALCOHOL. And lots of it.

medalguy
10-20-2013, 11:31 PM
I used to travel to China several times a year and I was always amazed at the traffic over there. My cab would pull up to a traffic light, wait for the light to change, but usually before it changed, about a dozen scooters had pulled around us and were in front of us. As soon as the light changed, it was every man for himself getting through the intersection.

But the truly amazing part was, the traffic really did move down the street. It's really important to pay close attention to the traffic, get "into the zone" and go with the flow. If you do, you move pretty well, but if not, you get left behind.

starmac
10-21-2013, 12:34 AM
I'm sure it's not the right answer for all, but there is only one thing I can say. ALCOHOL. And lots of it.

It wouldn't be an answer for me. I'm pretty positive that if I still drank, that tsa would have had me on the no fly list pretty quick. come to think of it, it might just be the answer. lol

unclogum bill
10-21-2013, 01:07 PM
I have that airport stuff down pat. Wallet belt watch it all goes in the carry before I hit the gropers . Cheap pair of boat slip ons make the shoe bit tolerable. If there was one thing I will not do again its board a Spirit Airline plane. Even the carry on allowed is down sized. Think they nabbed me 35 bucks each way, A got-ya if ever there was one . A sardine in a can has more comfort than I in their seats. Nothing given, a bottle of water is 2 bucks. I will always choose a real flight from now on.

JakeBlanton
10-21-2013, 03:17 PM
I have that airport stuff down pat

I think that was what this guy was saying also.

http://www.theblaze.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/airline-man.jpg

drinks
10-21-2013, 03:17 PM
I know a few people who use cooperative small jet charter systems to fly without going through the main airport and the TSA gestapo.
They say if the occupancy is at least 50% of capacity, it is very close to 1st class and much more pleasant.
Has anyone here tried that route?
I have never been more than 18' off the ground and that was on a ladder, have made 73 years with out flying anything except RC models and plan to die without having been up.

jsheyn
10-21-2013, 03:28 PM
I used to be on the rode 48 weeks a year. having two little ones and wanting to spend more time with them I swapped that job for one with no travel. Now I spend 3 hours a day on a bus commuting into the city....the only good thing about riding the bus is being home every night...otherwise I would fly any day over riding the bus.

starmac
10-21-2013, 04:18 PM
Dadgummit Jake we could have done with out that. Though I have thought about grabbing their ears and giving them a little shove during patdowns, but the thought of what happened to my uncles when one of them did that to a customs officer coming out of Mexico years ago keeps me from it. lol

Down South
10-21-2013, 09:44 PM
Got back from Milan Thursday. Heading for a Canada trip in the morning. So here I go again. Looks like Milan again next month. That is a long flight.

starmac
10-21-2013, 11:56 PM
Got back from Milan Thursday. Heading for a Canada trip in the morning. So here I go again. Looks like Milan again next month. That is a long flight.

I'm guessing alberta??

Echo
10-22-2013, 01:26 PM
I retired from the consulting business in '02, and have travelled little since then, so I got out just before it really got painful. Before, it was 44 hours per weekend at home - one week I stayed in 5 motels in 5 days. Good thing about it was that a round-trip ticket was a round-trip ticket, so SWMBO would come spend a week in Seattle, Anchorage, Ft Lauderdale, &cetera, and then we would fly home together. Taking off tomorrow for Texas, showing MS (Main Squeeze - she hits me when I call her that) Galveston, Alamo, & family & friends. Flying SW, and they DON'T charge for checked baggage.

Iowa Fox
10-22-2013, 02:05 PM
I'm just glad I'm retired. The last time I flew out of country for work was 2000 and it wasn't bad. After that if we had to fly for work we hopped a charter on a private plane, still lots of fun.