PDA

View Full Version : Success at last

GOPHER SLAYER
10-13-2013, 02:43 PM
By Jove I think I've got it. I said in a previous post that I was not able to cast a usable bullet from my Hoch .321 mold. Many of you advised me to use more heat. When I cast I usually cast with three molds and use them in rotation but this time I only used the Hoch. I also applied some added heat from a propane torch. Well to cut this narrative short, it worked. This was also the first time I had used a bottom pour pot. That did not go so well. I could not get more than a drip from the pot. I even used the torch on the spout but nothing helped. Not wanting to waste melted lead I just dipped around the lever. What a pain. Today I took the pot apart and I can not see any light through the hole. I tried the torch again without any luck. The point of the shaft that fits in the hole measures 35 thou across. I did the same with another pot and it measures the same. I know that pot worked because when I bought it I got a lot of cast bullets with it. At any rate I am I sure will press on to success. Some of you may feel as thou you should compliment me on the neatness of my work area. Please don't, I embarrass so easily.

runfiverun
10-13-2013, 03:11 PM
paper clip through the hole usually cleans it out.
if not then torch tip cleaners will.
sometimes the handle just doesn't lift the rod high enough to allow alloy from the hole.

GOPHER SLAYER
10-13-2013, 03:34 PM
I tried a vey sharp pick as well as the torch. While trying to cast I removed the bracket stop and I could lift the plunger as much as I wanted but it didn't help. I think I could have removed the plunger entirely and It would have made little difference. I thought of enlarging the hole by drilling but if I made the hole too big I can't put it the mettle back.

youngda9
10-13-2013, 04:25 PM
I always just cram a paper clip way up in there and then it flows just fine. Be sure you are fluxing well.