PDA

View Full Version : How'ed I do with this?

oldred
10-13-2013, 12:23 PM
I, and I suspect most here who live out in the boonies, rarely ever go outside to work on my farm without my pistol, I would just feel nekid without my 45! A guy came by today with tractor parts that needed machine work (I do that "on the side") and he had his two children with him, a boy about 12 and girl who looked to be about 9 or 10, which he seemed overly concerned about since I was obviously armed. Although the children were totally oblivious to the pistol IMO (they were at the time completely focused on the large population of Bullfrogs in my small pond) he asked me if I would put away my pistol because he did not want his children to be intimidated by it. My first impulse was to explain that this was private property and my private property at that and that I don't take off my pistol for anyone and if he didn't approve he was free to leave, with his children within hearing distance I thought that might not be the best response however. So rather than put him on the spot in front of his kids I, as politely as I could, explained that a firearm is only as dangerous or evil as the person holding it and that if he wanted I would be very happy to have him and his kids out to my little makeshift range for a firearms handling and safety session plus some very kid friendly 22 target shooting. These kids were all for that and were not the least bit intimidated by my 45 auto and I could tell by their expressions they definitely wanted their father to take me up on the offer! He was polite about it and never said one way or the other but seriously I doubt I will hear from him on that one but at least it left him with an out in front of his kids and I never took off my 45!

Was that handled right or was my first impulse more appropriate?

Finster101
10-13-2013, 12:29 PM
I believe you did fine. Making a point does not have to cause a confrontation. I bet when he comes back for his parts his kids are not with him though.

starmac
10-13-2013, 12:57 PM
He may send the kids to get the parts, it sounds like he is the wuss, that is intimidated.

oldred
10-13-2013, 01:00 PM
I bet when he comes back for his parts his kids are not with him though.

I would bet that's going to be what happens but I would love to have him bring them back, I have a bunch of 22 LR and a couple of rifles that are just dandy for kids, I even have an original Chipmunk I bought for my now adult son when he was 10 and I'm sure that girl and it would be a perfect match. I would just really enjoy explaining firearms to these kids (and their father) and I would be willing to let them burn through a lot of that 22 stash to make it enjoyable for them, I seriously doubt it's going to happen however.

Bzcraig
10-13-2013, 01:04 PM
Polite, intelligent exchange of words, offering to educate so the kids, who obviously weren't intimidated, to safely handle and shoot could not have been more neighborly. I think you provided an apprehensive father an opportunity to later talk to his kids and hopefully not scare them about guns/shooting.

Love Life
10-13-2013, 01:07 PM
I think you did the right thing.

If I were in that situation I'm not sure what I'd do. Half of me says that a derogatory remark about his manhood and mother would be called for.

The other half says "Dick, there's money involved. Shut your mouth and make the money."

I am a man torn....

jmort
10-13-2013, 01:09 PM
100% right -on

koehn,jim
10-13-2013, 01:50 PM
I think you handled it well. It is possible to make a point and not be hard about it, good job.

EMC45
10-13-2013, 01:58 PM
You did well.

HeavyMetal
10-13-2013, 02:03 PM
Dale Carnigie would be proud!

You handled it correctly and offered him something he could refuse without regret or embarrasement.

You also let his kids know that having a firearm doesn't make you a jerk or a serial killer.

Odds are he won't bring his kids back with him but you may see his wife, who obviously owns part of his antaomy, and she may give you a lecture on scaring her kids!

Right after she low balls you for the work you've done!

oldred
10-13-2013, 02:48 PM
Unfortunately for those kids the "tractor parts" are for a large yard tractor for their over-sized lawn and they don't live on a farm, he told me they moved here recently from Toledo. My first thought after his request was of course to explain to this guy that the road leading to my place runs in both directions but those kids were having an absolute blast with that frog pond and I wouldn't have spoiled that for anything! That little girl held a huge Bullfrog out at arms length and grinning ear to ear excitedly told me she had never seen a real one before, that was simply priceless!

Down South
10-13-2013, 02:53 PM
You did great!!!! That was a very good response.

300savage
10-13-2013, 04:33 PM
u r a better man than me

w5pv
10-13-2013, 04:59 PM
I think that if I knew him any at all I would call him and see if he or his wife would bring the over for treats and then see if they would be interested you setting up a little class on gun safety,sportsmanship and shooting.When my granddaughter was still at home her friends would ask her if I would mind if they came over to shoot my guns and ammo.At first a couple of the moms were a little worried until they found out that I was serious about the safety aspect and that came before any thing else.I cannot remember of any incident with them.

Ed Barrett
10-13-2013, 10:30 PM
You did it just right.

smoked turkey
10-13-2013, 10:38 PM
yup, I think you did very good. Quick thinking on your part. Sounds like you were a true gentleman. You represented us "gun people" in a way that should make us proud. The old saying you catch more flies with honey applys here. I hope your new neighbor comes around to learn the ways of us country folk and will understand we are not the bad guys often painted out to be by the liberal media.

Garyshome
10-13-2013, 10:55 PM
Way to put the fear of God into a lib!

archmaker
10-14-2013, 10:23 AM
You did right. I married a woman that was very intimidated by guns (never grew up around them, and other issues - too long to tell), I wear all the time that I can, and she is getting more comfortable around them. She now jokes about the fact that I carry - running joke in our household, the prettier our daughter gets the more guns i get.

People fear the unknown, and you showed them a reasonable, intelligent, person with a gun. Which is in contrast to what they have been told/heard to expect. You planted a seed, you may not get to see that seed come to grow, it may not grow, or it may be something that you do get to see. The key is that instead of throwing away the chance you gave it a chance to grow into something. Those kids may someday want to shoot because of the way you handled the situation.

nhrifle
10-14-2013, 11:23 AM
You did better than I did. The last confrontation I had in that context happened on what for me was a particularly bad day, so I allowed my frustration and anger to show itself a little. A Justin Bieber wannabee and his Barbie doll girlfriend were standing behind me at the grocery store and I heard them whispering. I glanced behind me and she was gesturing toward me.

And then he said it. "Mister, you shouldn't bring that in here." referring of course to my 1911. "You're making people nervous."

I turned and squared off with him, looked him in the eyes, and invited him to try and take it if he didn't want me to have it.

I could have reacted better and I am not proud of the way I handled it, but the sheeple that are among us irritate me.

gbrown
10-14-2013, 11:29 AM
I think you handled the situation correctly, IMHO. I don't see a confrontation here, but an explanation, which you, apparently covered completely. I think the children's take of the situation was a correct barometer of the whole thing. They weren't running for the truck or hiding behind Dad. I see Dad overreacting and forgetting where he was. In another person's world, where that person has the right to do things. As you said, the road to your place can be travelled both ways.

MBTcustom
10-14-2013, 11:40 AM
That's exactly how I would have handled it (I think). I didn't take my gun off when I married my wife, and I certainly won't for a complete stranger. That feller was not less of a man. He's just coming from a different culture. He might change his view one day, but that's not going to happen if folks rub his nose in something he's not at all comfortable with. Firearms are dangerous tools, and it takes years of handling to get where you are comfortable with them being a regular part of life. Me? I was using cast boolits to knock down my GI joes when I was a kid. There were loaded firearms in easy reach at all times. However, I fully recognise that there are lots of "city folk" that don't have the benefit of that education.
I agree wholeheartedly with you for not disarming, but I also tip my hat to you for using a light touch with this feller. After all, he was looking out for his kids, and had the balls to ask an armed man to put away his gun. Misguided, but he's not a lost cause.
All in all, I'd say that was very well handled.

felix
10-14-2013, 12:12 PM
If all my friends carried firepower, concealed or not, I would be perfectly happy as if none of them carried as well. Friends are friendly to me by definition. However, in the work environment, the purpose of dress choice is to NOT offend the person next to you. For example, I would be nervous should the pilot for a major airline appeared unshaven with bluejeans and sandals. ... felix

Cactus Farmer
10-14-2013, 09:24 PM
You did right. I married a woman that was very intimidated by guns (never grew up around them, and other issues - too long to tell), I wear all the time that I can, and she is getting more comfortable around them.

My sweety was also not raised around firearms but her dad wasn't an anti either. Since we've been married, I took her shooting and then got an old 32 S&W cal Hopkins & Allen top break. It was dry but complete so I fixed it up a bit and gave it to her for her "car gun". Now she carries it and a Model 36 S&W 3". Got her licence too. I don't think she would shoot you if she was mad but if you scare her,all bets are off.

labdwakin
10-14-2013, 10:21 PM
You did way better than I would have for sure! You show up at MY HOUSE and start trying to tell me what to do? NO GO. But, I hurt a lot and am pretty short-tempered these days and that's why I stay so far away from other people... LOL Major kudos to you for handling that so well!

Frank46
10-14-2013, 10:58 PM
The wife had to go out with one of the kids and left me waiting for the exterminator. I left a note that I would be cutting the grass out back down by the bayou. I sometimes carry a 1911A1 loaded with shotshells as seeing cotton mouth or other snakes is usually common. Well the bug guy shows up and drives his truck out back to let me know he's here. He sees the 45 and asked what that was for. Snakes sez I. OK sez he I understand. Got to the house unloaded and he commenced to spraying. Have seen more than a few folks carrying while working in their yards. And snakes do get around. Frank

badge176
10-15-2013, 12:28 AM
I teach a firearms session for our city's "safety camp", and I'm real proud to have a table with a BIG hammer, a scissors, a chainsaw, and an assortment of firearms. The kids pick up real quick that just like the hammer, scissors and chainsaw, the guns are just tools.

They all callout the NAME of the item, the PURPOSE or function of the item, and if it COULD hurt you if you messed with it without training, supervision and permission. I think they are suprised when I admit to having gotten myself hurt with each and every one except any of the guns!
By the time we get to the guns, they've picked up on the gimmick and shout out "to shoot stuff like targets", "to Hunt deer/ ducks", or "to Stop bad guys" when I present the appropriate firearms for those tasks.

We watch the Eddie the Eagle video from the NRA, and I answer lots of questions. Possibly the best day of my whole working year...

1Shirt
10-15-2013, 10:54 AM
Well handled! Ya done good!!!!!
1Shirt!

oldred
10-15-2013, 11:15 AM
The kids pick up real quick that just like the hammer, scissors and chainsaw, the guns are just tools[/B].

My S&W 1911 is a tool around the farm like lots of other things I use everyday, there are the usual assortment of 4 legged varmints plus a few that fly and some that slither and running back to the house (which might be a mile or more away at the time) to get a gun from the safe is just simply not an option! I have had a few people ask "why the gun" and my standard reply is that I sometimes need it here on the farm, most folks just let it go at that but one lady in particular about a year ago obviously didn't approve. When I told her it was for the farm she asked what kind of farm need? I explained about the rats, etc but also that it's just me and my wife living back here in the boonies and when a strange vehicle shows up I don't know for sure that they will always have neighborly intentions to which she snobbishly replied "well I wouldn't live in a place where I had to be afraid". I told her I was not the least bit afraid I can take care of myself but I would be very afraid in a big house somewhere unarmed, hiding and wondering why the heck the police were taking so long to show up! She didn't say anything else, she just paid for the apples she was buying and left but I think she got the message.

DRNurse1
10-15-2013, 01:51 PM
Kudos and maybe your visitor will understand he brought the problem with him (not the kids) rather than found it when he got to your place. I teach firearm safety to neophytes and kids who want to learn so this type of confrontation is frequent, if unwelcome. You did us proud.

John Guedry
10-18-2013, 02:19 PM
You handled it very well. I don't think I could have done as well as you did.

William Yanda
10-18-2013, 09:27 PM
You did well, thanks for sharing. I'll remember that and hope I have a chance to use it sometime.

Reaper
10-18-2013, 09:51 PM
You done good. Kids are naturally attracted to firearms. Unfortunately, the father passed on a teachable and enjoyable experience.

BoolitBullet
10-18-2013, 11:48 PM
You did what we all need to do. People who are pro-guns are feeling like our rights are constantly under attack and far too often it makes us combative when a person whose only experience with guns is the evening news where they only tell what the bad guys do with them. No wonder they freak out when they see one. The father and children both need to learn that good guys carry guns too. Being an ******* and telling them to take a hike makes you seem like one of the bad guys. Smiling, acting kind, and offering to teach them the truth of guns makes you a good guy. Oldred, I not only commend you on how you handled the situation, I thank you as well. You have done right by us all.

Piedmont
10-19-2013, 12:53 AM
I'm generally non confrontational, but I think I would have lowered my voice so the kids couldn't hear, looked him in the eye, and asked "Do I ever come over to your house and tell you what to do?" That would have put him in his place, if he had a brain, without directly insulting him.

missionary5155
10-19-2013, 06:14 AM
Good morning
Not knowing the background this feller has come through you handled it all very well.
My mother in law had an abusive dad who liked to wave firearms around in the face of his children especially after tipping bottles. For years she could not understand my interest in firearms. She was very afraid for her safety and her daughter's safety for years.
Gladly that is all past. My MIL no longer lives that and even aproves or her daughter having her own pistols.
Maybe the "firearms opposition" is not all commy liberal.
Mike in Peru

Frosty Boolit
10-19-2013, 06:57 AM
If I had showed up to buy apples and you were carrying a pistol, We would have probably ended up talking guns for an hour or so.