PDA

View Full Version : Chore-Boy Replacement

steve4102
10-13-2013, 03:31 AM
I was just introduced to this product on another forum. It's supposed to remove barrel Leading like the all Copper Chore-Boy only better.

Anyone have any experience with it?

http://www.big45metalcleaner.com/

jonp
10-13-2013, 07:32 AM
I would give it a try but hesitate on using it on blued steel like it recommends. The only drawback I can see is that it looks like stainless and a less careful person might swap by accident

'74 sharps
10-13-2013, 09:19 AM
I would try to determine what is causing the leading, then the product would not be needed.

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-13-2013, 09:22 AM
0000 steel wool and Kroil works great for my usage when I'm stricken with a lead fouled barrel.
Jon

DGV
10-13-2013, 09:51 AM
Home Depot and Lowe's sell brass wool. It works well

bhn22
10-13-2013, 10:15 AM
I know guys who use it, but Chore Boy copper (never stainless) is much cheaper.

Walter Laich
10-13-2013, 10:21 AM
I've used a similar product (looks the same). Did what it was advertised to do: remove rust without hurting bluing. Still have it but haven't had the need to use it in quite some time

Shiloh
10-13-2013, 10:34 AM
I know guys who use it, but Chore Boy copper (never stainless) is much cheaper.

And available anywhere.

Shiloh

steve4102
10-13-2013, 11:15 AM
And available anywhere.

Shiloh

That's part of the problem, it's not anymore. Many stores have quit carrying the All Copper Chore-Boy because it is used in the manufacture of Crystal Meth. Rumor has it that it may be discontinued altogether for the same reason.

snuffy
10-13-2013, 11:28 AM
So color me gullible, it sounds good enough. I just ordered some, I'll revisit this thread after I get it with a report.

steve4102
10-13-2013, 11:49 AM
So color me gullible, it sounds good enough. I just ordered some, I'll revisit this thread after I get it with a report.

Thanks, I ordered one as well.

jmort
10-13-2013, 11:57 AM
No shortage here

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_5?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=chore%20boy&sprefix=chore%2Caps%2C388

robpete
10-13-2013, 12:23 PM
I read about using bronze wool in Fryxell's book. I figured I'd give it a go and it works flawlessly. The best part is no mess(all of the little shards when to cut chore boy). Most boat shops sell it, but I bought a large bag on ebay. Buy the coarse stuff. you won't be disappointed.

Horace
10-13-2013, 08:24 PM
Been using it for 10+ years in bores and on blued barrels it works.

Horace

jonp
10-13-2013, 09:07 PM
That's part of the problem, it's not anymore. Many stores have quit carrying the All Copper Chore-Boy because it is used in the manufacture of Crystal Meth. Rumor has it that it may be discontinued altogether for the same reason.
I wandered down to the local Food Lion and bought a box for a couple of bucks

imashooter2
10-13-2013, 09:18 PM

It's true! I heard it from these guys:
http://www.big45metalcleaner.com/

:roll:

JohnFreeman
10-14-2013, 06:54 AM
I think it's incredible that a perfectly useful product can be run off the market because someone figures out how to misuse it. It's like banning screwdrivers because they can be used to make bombs.

PbHurler
10-14-2013, 07:21 AM
Judging from the photo on Big45's website; it apparently removes rifling too! :bigsmyl2:

'74 sharps
10-14-2013, 07:31 AM
Like is said on the tv infomercials........"WAIT,THERE'S MORE!"

Sasquatch-1
10-14-2013, 08:03 AM
After looking at the pictures that are linked to the ad, I could see using the product on some of the guns pictured. Most have already been ruined by rust.

The last time I looked in the grocery store they still had the 100% copper Chore Boy and some other brand of 100% copper scrub pad.

I have also thought of ordering some brass screen fabric (like that used in the Lewis Lead Remover) on line but the price gets a little prohibitive.

snuffy
10-19-2013, 02:01 PM
Well, mine arrived yesterday. No report on how it works, BUT it looks like a stainless steel pot scrubber. I'm gonna clean a lightly leaded 500 smith, that should be a good test. 5 days shipping to central WI!

Echd
10-19-2013, 02:38 PM
Can't imagine anything working much better than Chore boy. I don't have many leading problems but every now and then I do, and it's just a couple of passes and clean as a whistle with chore boy.

prs
10-19-2013, 03:05 PM
DO NOT, REPEAT; DO NOT try to tear that stainless product with you bare hands. You don't have to guess how I figured that out.

prs

abunaitoo
10-22-2013, 08:09 PM
Been using it for years.
Looks the same as pot scrubber I get from the store.
Sometimes at the dollar store, it's a dollar.
I use it mostly on surplus rifles.
To use, I get an old, worn out, bore brush. Wrap a bit of it around the brush and it cut it with a scissors. Spray it with PB Blaster. Scrub, scrub, scrub, the barrel. Spray more PB when needed.
After a while you'll feel it getting smoother.
I follow it up with a cloth patch with some Flitz on it.
Most barrels come out as clean as they'll ever be.
Never used it to remove surface rust. For that I use steel wool and oil.

varmint243
10-22-2013, 09:03 PM
I use the stainless steel chore boy.
It works like a champ, doesn't hurt a thing, been using it for years.
Little piece wrapped around a worn out brush a little WD40 and 1/2 dozen swipes back and forth at the forcing cone area and you can tell when the lead is all gone.
If you think about it the force of a little chore boy on a worn out brush being used by hand is only a tiny fraction of the force when firing a bullet.
The SS is at such a shallow angle it shaves the lead off in a couple swipes.
The copper takes a lot more effort.
I do use the cone on the cleaning rod to protect the muzzle every single time.