PDA

View Full Version : Johnsons Paste wax

mooman76
11-03-2007, 07:17 PM
I have a questions concerning the application of Johnsons pate wax. I did a search and couldn't find anything on how to apply. I'm sure I just wipe it into the lube grooves but what is best and should I let it dry awhile before I load it?:Fire:
I have a gun that I don't have the propper sizing die for mostly because they don't make it so I need an alternative and don't want to use allox.

Scrounger
11-03-2007, 07:27 PM
The search function here never works for me either. Probably the software has been upgraded too many times. Seems to me I remember someone claiming to apply the paste wax like Liquid Alox, putting a bit into a baggie and squishing the bullets around in it.

mooman76
11-03-2007, 07:29 PM
Thanks Scrounger

The search worked ok but too good. It pulled up lots but too much to weed through and I saw nothing on how to apply!

woody1
11-03-2007, 07:29 PM
I have a questions concerning the application of Johnsons pate wax. I did a search and couldn't find anything on how to apply. I'm sure I just wipe it into the lube grooves but what is best and should I let it dry awhile before I load it?:Fire:
I have a gun that I don't have the propper sizing die for mostly because they don't make it so I need an alternative and don't want to use allox.

I use it with hot boolits heated in a jar on the wood stove. Put in a dab of jpw and shake or tumble as with Lee stuff. Here's a link that may have much of what you're lookin' for. Do a search for jpw.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=17641&highlight=jpw
Regards, Woody

mooman76
11-03-2007, 07:34 PM
Thanks woody1!

WHITETAIL
11-03-2007, 07:40 PM
76, I am the biggest fan of the JPW lube. What I do is size the boolets first. ( no lube )
Then do the JPW treatment. Then I size and lube again. Then they are ready to load.:Fire:

Dutch4122
11-03-2007, 08:24 PM
Another easy way to apply JPW is scoop some into a small glass bowl and heat it on a hot plate set at low temperature just hot enough to melt the JPW. Then grab the boolits by the nose, dip them in base first up to the top of the bands, and set them on a sheet of wax paper to dry overnight. Next day you can wipe the excess JPW off the bases and the JPW will have hardened enough to load.

Works well for me. Hope this helps.:lovebooli

jack19512
11-03-2007, 09:24 PM
76, I am the biggest fan of the JPW lube. What I do is size the boolets first. ( no lube )
Then do the JPW treatment. Then I size and lube again. Then they are ready to load.:Fire:

Your post brings up a point that I have wanted to ask for some time. I know when using my Lee sizers I am suppose to lube them first but I tried sizing them without the lube and in all honesty I can't tell any difference in the sizing process or the sized bullet using no lube. But I am curious why you size them twice, is it just to remove excess lube?

Ohio Rusty
11-04-2007, 06:11 AM
I use a 50/50 mix of JPW and Beeswax. I heat the mix in an aluminum baking pan until it melts. I put the boolets in so they also get warm. They get rolled around a bit, then removed one by one (sometimes with tweezers if small boolets) and set on wax paper for several days to harden. You can definitely see this lube harden as it starts to age. The first day it is still soft on the boolet, the next days after it feels harder to the touch and won't smear like it does the first day.
Ohio Rusty

woody1
11-04-2007, 09:56 AM
Your post brings up a point that I have wanted to ask for some time. I know when using my Lee sizers I am suppose to lube them first but I tried sizing them without the lube and in all honesty I can't tell any difference in the sizing process or the sized bullet using no lube. But I am curious why you size them twice, is it just to remove excess lube?

Jack, I believe the reason Lee says to lube first is to prevent possible galling (leading if you will) of the sizer. If I'm sizing j-waxed boolits, I always apply the j-wax again after sizing. Some don't but that's the way I do it. Regards, Woody

Ricochet
11-05-2007, 08:50 PM
If a bullet is hard and a good bit oversized, it will jam very tightly in the die without lubrication.