PDA

View Full Version : bonehead stories

tommag
10-13-2013, 01:50 AM
Ok, after responding to another post, I wondered how many of you have done completely bone headed things involving fire arms?

I've done more than one, but the best example I can remember (aging can be good,selective memory) is when I sat down by a ditch, leaned my shotgun against the fence, and rolled a cigarette.
A few hundred yards down the ditch, I flushed a pheasant.
Somehow, something seemed wrong... Oh yeah, forgot my shotgun.

I'm sure I have worse examples, but like i said, aging and selective memory.:-)

starmac
10-13-2013, 02:48 AM
At least you noticed it wasn't there. I got my old long barreled 12 gauge when I was 13, so I was between 13 and 15 i was headed out of the woods when I killed one last squirrel. I started to pick it up, but it wasn't completely dead. I leaned my shotgun against an old oak and finished off the squirrel and put it in my vest walked out of the woods and drove home to clean the squirrels. I never missed the shotgun until a couple days later and I was headed squirrel hunting and didn't have a gun. I had to think awhile, until I remembered having to lean it against that old tree. LOL This was down on lake houston, and me and a couple more kids basically had acres and acres back in them days to ourselves, so it was there waiting on me. lol

wch
10-13-2013, 07:11 AM
Well, it wasn't I who made this bonehead play (thankfully), but I once had a PFC who told me (after a 30 minute movement in the "rain forest") that he had left his weapon behind in our previous position.
We retrieved the AR, but I made sure that the miscreant and his squad leader were both reduced in rank and sent off to other duties.

bikerbeans
10-13-2013, 07:31 AM
I took my son deer hunting about 15 years ago. After hiking about 45 minutes and getting him into his stand I went to mine and waited for the sun to come up. Just as it was getting light I put a loaded mag into my Marlin bolt 12ga and went to rack in a round. NO BOLT, I had left the bolt in the gun case back in my truck.

BB

shredder
10-13-2013, 08:27 AM
I'll contribute 2. One is mine and it is up first.

I was hunting waterfowl 2 weeks ago and my position on the marsh was perfect that morning. The geese were coming over in waves. After emptying my gun I hurridly reloaded as a pair of big honkers pumped directly towards me in the wind about 30 feet off the ground. For some reason my trusty 870 would not cycle. A quick glance revealed that I had inserted the last shell backwards! Brothers, if you have never done that, I can assure you that your blood pressure will rise as the game birds fly over and your try to extract that nightmare. It took me a few minutes to get that cleared up. Good thing I had my swiss army knife to press in the shell latch and release the demon. Not fun.

The second is another frustration tale. A good friend of mine is a full time wilderness trapper in northern Manitoba. His cabin is overr 100 miles by air from anywhere and the country is wonderfully pristine. I was staying with him for a few days one winter and we were out on the trap line. An opportunity came about and he wound up shooting 2 woodland caribou. Then the fun started because if you can believe it both of us had left our knives at the camp. We did have the axe of course but if you have ever trapped you know we were knocking holes in beaver lodges and muskrat push ups with it. Not the sharpest tool for field dressing caribou. Very long day.

runfiverun
10-13-2013, 11:14 AM
I'll contribute 2. One is mine and it is up first.

I was hunting waterfowl 2 weeks ago and my position on the marsh was perfect that morning. The geese were coming over in waves. After emptying my gun I hurridly reloaded as a pair of big honkers pumped directly towards me in the wind about 30 feet off the ground. For some reason my trusty 870 would not cycle. A quick glance revealed that I had inserted the last shell backwards! Brothers, if you have never done that, I can assure you that your blood pressure will rise as the game birds fly over and your try to extract that nightmare. It took me a few minutes to get that cleared up. Good thing I had my swiss army knife to press in the shell latch and release the demon. Not fun.

pulled this one twice in the same day with 3-1/2" shells in a win super-x2, found it fastest to pull the barrel and dump the shell out then re-assemble.
I have learned to look at the rounds since then, cold fingers don't feel rims too well.

I once managed to forget which way the three way safety on my 93 mauser went to fire the rifle, and just about bent the trigger trying to shoot a real nice 3 point buck standing broadside at 25 yards.

reloaderman1
10-13-2013, 03:20 PM
I once invited a friend to deer hunt with me at a property I had access to. I took him out early in the morning ( still dark ) and took him to the very wooded selected spot. I told him I would be around the hill about 500 yards away and out of his line of sight. I make it to my stand and start setting up, then I walked back to my friends spot to pick up the gun I left there. I said I might need this and he agreed.
:bigsmyl2: