PDA

View Full Version : Good day with my Win 94 - 44 Magnum

LET-CA
11-03-2007, 07:00 PM
I recently mounted a Williams Receiver Sight on one of my Winchesters and took it out to the range for a few minutes to get it dialed in. I was fortunate that it only took a few rounds to get it adjusted. I then shot three 5-shot groups of three different bullets without adjusting the sights to see how it would behave. For reference purposes, the loads were:

1. Bullet: 44 Caliber Saeco #433, 292 Grains (rich in linotype)
Powder: Acc. No. 9, 18.0 Grains
Primer: Federal 150
Case: Winchester

2. Bullet: 44 Caliber Lyman 429640 HP, 265 Grains
Powder: H110, 21.0 Grains
Primer: Winchester Large Pistol
Case: Winchester

3. Bullet: TLC-432-285-RF (Ranch Dog Custom), 265 Grains (rich in linotype)
Powder: H110, 21.0 Grains
Primer: Winchester Large Pistol
Case: Winchester.

I was shooting at 25 yards, and with the exception of one flyer got a nice tight group about 2 1/2 inches high. The 100 yard lanes were all filled so I didn't get a chance to see where it would print at that distance, but I'm happy. Lots of fun and smoke.

:castmine:

http://www.lennytaylor.freeyellow.com/44Mag.JPG

wolfspotter
11-03-2007, 08:04 PM
Nice shooting.:drinks:
I put a Williams Receiver Sight and a globe front sight on my TC New Englander 50 cal and it worked great for target shooting. Everyone told me the sight setup wouldn't work in the woods for deer hunting. Went out and shot a buck at 75yds and I swear, looking through the peep sight, I could see the patched round ball impact right where I was aiming. The following year I shot a doe at over 100yds and she did a flip and dropped.
When I get done with some other projects i want to install the Williams Receiver Sight on my Marlin 357 and 444.

nicholst55
11-04-2007, 01:06 PM
Unfortunately, aperture sights have been pretty much forgotten by the shooting public. Everybody thinks they need a 6.5-20X illuminated reticule scope that costs more than the gun these days.

If your eyes are good enough, it's amazing what accuracy can be achieved with aperture sights. Just look at what they do at Camp Perry every year!

I have a still unfired Win M94 Trapper .44 Mag in the safe - one of the tang safety types. When I get around to it, I'll install a Williams Fool Proof rear sight and a fiber-optic front sight on it, slug the bore and work up a good load for it, and then see if I can kill a deer with it. The relatively short sight radius makes it a challenging type of gun to shoot well, but the short lever guns sure are handy in the field!

I foolishly traded off the first M94 Trapper that I owned - I think I'll hang onto this one. ;)

LET-CA
11-04-2007, 01:56 PM
I had two 44's out with me but only gave this one the test. They're both 16 inch Trappers that I purchased to give to my grandsons when they get a little older. Until then I'll work on loads. . . (shoot the bejibbers out of them)

Ranch Dog
11-04-2007, 02:25 PM
I had two 44's out with me but only gave this one the test. They're both 16 inch Trappers that I purchased to give to my grandsons when they get a little older. Until then I'll work on loads. . . (shoot the bejibbers out of them)

So you did buy the rifles! Good for you!

LET-CA
11-04-2007, 03:56 PM
So you did buy the rifles! Good for you!

Your TLC432-285-RF seems to be the bullet to beat. I loaded two hundred more last night.

I'm going to try some of the Lyman 429640 (non-hollow point) later today. I found one of those moulds on eBay awhile back and have several hundred bullets cast.

Poohgyrr
11-07-2007, 12:38 AM
[smilie=w:

You have shown excellent taste there!! ;)

Winchester