PDA

View Full Version : Todays gun show

starmac
10-12-2013, 05:32 PM
I just got back from the gun show, one more next weekend then were done until febuary.
This is a pretty small one, but it is actually the first time I have ever picked up a gun at one.
I wasn't even in the market for one but a nice 308mx followed me home.
I also picked up a set of 358 win dies, one of these days I will come across an affordable M99 in 358 (hopefully)
A new in the box perfect powdre measure and an old original lee 12 gauge whackem loader.

TES
10-12-2013, 05:34 PM
any ammo in any caliber?

starmac
10-12-2013, 05:45 PM
There was some, but not a lot. we have a bigger show next weekend, that will likely have more. What there mostly was today was just peoples left over ammo.

starmac
10-12-2013, 05:48 PM
She can bring 11 pounds back. She went to the post office and weighed it on their scales, and had to take out one 50 round box of 22wmr to get it under the limit.

shooter93
10-12-2013, 06:06 PM
Lots of times the smaller shows are the better shows atleast around here. last couple I went to ammo was everywhere but 22lr was way to high but the guy wasn't able to sell any. Powder and primers had fair availability. It's slowly getting better .....atleast till Hillary wins....then it will get a lot worse....smiles.

starmac
10-12-2013, 06:18 PM
LOL The only 22 ammo I saw was in some kind of packs with a few boxes and a knife of some sort, I didn't even look at it. I didn't see any primers, and the only powder I saw was some antique containers, they may have been empty for all I know.
There was one old lyman mold and a few boxes of bullets scattered about at pretty much retail prices.

there was a nice s and w stainless 44 with a red dot on it that caught my eye for 700, she dropped it to 650 as soon as I showed any interest. I think 6 would have took it home.

500MAG
10-12-2013, 06:20 PM
I long for the shows when I was younger. Remember when you could dive in a box of old gun parts, military stuff, and reloading items. How about the racks of M1's for $89 each. Those were the days. The deals were awesome.

brtelec
10-12-2013, 09:44 PM
I long for the shows when I was younger. Remember when you could dive in a box of old gun parts, military stuff, and reloading items. How about the racks of M1's for $89 each. Those were the days. The deals were awesome.

I agree. Now it is 200 tables of AR15 stuff. 100 tables of overpriced dealers and 20 tables of crappy knives. Then very lightly interspersed through out are 10 tables of something worth looking at or buying. I have pretty much stopped going to them.

shaune509
10-13-2013, 05:03 PM
I asree, the old shows had the parts bins that often had that needed item for fair price. Last show in Spokane was still over priced for most items even the book tables are higher priced than direct from the publishers site. Gun prices were looking better but still higher than new at dealer, one table had a Mini-14 wood stock for $900+ when the AR,s are back below $1100 to 750.
Shaune509

shooter93
10-13-2013, 05:13 PM
Our smaller shows are much like the shows of old. I've purchased more from them over the years than the big ones. When stuff is available I will say the bigger shows have a couple of huge powder/primer sellers which is handy. Last small show I bought (only like 50 tables) at I got a very nice Belding and Mull for 70 bucks and at the very last table was an unfired Colt SAA in 44 Special for 900 and a mint 86 Winchester for 1000....both left with us.....smiles. Shows to me are much like auctions...you need the time to go to a bunch of them to stumble on the good buys.

Epd230
10-13-2013, 05:52 PM
I saw a decent supply of powder and primers today. I brought home two boxes of Winchester small rifle at 35 each.

Many ARs and all over 1000.

I did see 223 at .50 each!

AlaskanGuy
10-13-2013, 06:27 PM
Hey starmac, you hanging out with mooseman? Did you guys go to the big lions club show at the alaska state fairgrounds?? Not sure when that show is, but would love to go this year.. That is if you guys are gunna go... Last time i went was about 6 years ago, and would love to go .... But last time i went, seemed it was just before breakup?? I cant remember though for sure... I looked on the state fair website and it wasnt listed, so have no idea when it is....

TXGunNut
10-13-2013, 06:37 PM
Haven't been to a gun show in years, it was a lot more fun before dealers were allowed to sell there. Don't get me wrong, I bought a fair bit from the dealers as they have better merchandise and often better pricing. I't just that for some things you'll only find them on the table of another hobbyist.

brtelec
10-13-2013, 07:43 PM
I would love to find a small show that wasn't dealer central. Gun shows used to be very much looked forward too by my kids. When I would come home from work they would announce that they had seen an ad or billboard for a show and they would mark it on the calender. I had always looked forward to taking my grandkids when they get a little older but it just isn't the same. I miss it

starmac
10-13-2013, 09:07 PM
No this was just a small show in fairbanks. I will see mooseman tomorrow though.
We have the tanana valley gun show next weekend too, it usually is pretty good.

Ed Barrett
10-13-2013, 10:15 PM
Yes it seems to me gun shows used to be more fun. You could find all the parts you ever wanted and all the odd reloading tools. Now most of the stuff is AR related, not much in the way of parts or reloading.

quilbilly
10-14-2013, 03:02 PM
At our gun show there were plenty of primers and all sizes of ammo. 22LR's were universally $50 for a brick of 500 but there seems to be plenty. Powder not allowed at that venue.