PDA

View Full Version : Smokeless ??

sagamore-one
11-03-2007, 02:06 PM
I decided to try my hand at Bullseye pistol shooting. (conventional pistol). All was well and good out doors. When we moved to the indoor winter range the guys were very vocal about my smokey powder. Question is: is there a smoke free or less smokey powder for use indoors ? I shoot 357 mag. with 148 wadcutters loaded in full length 357 cases. 700x powder is horribly smokey but I was given seven lbs of it. Bullseye is almost as bad. So is 231. I tend to load a little stiff, around 850 - 900 fps. I am thinking about 4756 powder. Anyone got any suggestions ??

crabo
11-03-2007, 02:12 PM
What lube are you using?

singleshotbuff
11-03-2007, 02:15 PM
Sagamore-one,

I think the smoke you are getting is from bullet lube. I run into the same thing at indoor IDPA matches in the winter time. If I shoot jacketed bullets with the same powders, I get almost no smoke. I prefer to shoot cast, so I just put up with the ribbing over the smoke.

SSB

sagamore-one
11-03-2007, 02:26 PM
Lube tried : Tamarack, Rooster Zambini, Magma green.
Tamarack is 50/50 beeswax-alox. It is the smokiest.
Is it possible that I was given the 700x powder because it was starting to decompose and become even more smokey ?
The guy who usually shoots next to me is using my 45 acp bullets lubed with Tamarack and shows hardly any sign of smoke.

singleshotbuff
11-03-2007, 02:48 PM
I've never used 700x, so I can't comment on it's "smokiness". I use Javelina 50/50 alox lube for pistol boolits and it smokes with all the powders I have tried.

Come to think of it, the "least smokey" cast loads I shoot are 45 Colt with maximum charges of W296, also using Javelina 50/50. These are high pressure loads, so maybe "lube combustion" (for lack of a better term) is tied to pressure??

My normal powders for standard velocity handgun loads are W231, HP-38, Universal Clays and Unique. They all smoke with Javelina lube.

Fortunately for me, I shoot outdoors 3/4 of the year and only shoot indoors for winter matches.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

SSB

dromia
11-03-2007, 03:02 PM
Its the Alox that smokes, less is best.

Try Glenn Larsens BAC or Carnauba Red, Red needs some heat.

Link at the bottom of the page, Lar45's LsStuff.

Johnch
11-03-2007, 11:58 PM
700X isn't the problem
I use it in my 45 ACP loads all the time

I agree it is your lube

I just grin and ignore the coments

John

kawalekm
11-04-2007, 10:47 AM
I second the lube idea. I historicly used Bullseye for 38spl, but switched to 700X because I thought it was significantly cleaner. My favorate lube is Thompson's Blue Angel which doesn't smoke much. I also dabbled in making my own lube and settled on a recipe using 60/40 % by weight candle wax and vasoline jelly. That homemade lube smoked a lot! People beside me would stop shooting to watch the clouds of smoke being produced. Why don't you switch brands and see what happens. I'd suggest trying a hard heat only lube.
Michael