PDA

View Full Version : Powder coating 300blkout

crs7861
10-12-2013, 01:02 AM
Never made a formal first post thread. I think this is my third post on this forum. But I've been lurking and absorbing for a long time. I'm accessing from a galaxy S phone (@ 3 yrs. old) so please expect typos.
Probly not the right place for introductions, so I'll just down to it.
I've been reading about powder coating replacing boolit lube and I've been very interested in this.
My first foray into the firearm world (as an adult) was a Colt M4. I quickly pieced together a 300blkout upper and havej@2nt fired a 223 in over a year. The colt upper still sees regular use with .22 aguila sss 60gr. @and a cmmg conversion kit for rabbits, squirrels, and rats (the new best shooting sport ever here in southern oms, except i'm down to @ 200 rounds and even at $80 a brick, not in stock anywhere).
So, I've been collecting lead piece by piece for sometime now with the expectation of eventually making my way to casting my own bullets. Decent jword bullets are 30 cents a piece. Good ones (my favorites are noslers at .50 cents slug). They just go up from there.
I'd like to make my own bullets to escape the cost and availability issues of buying. Likely gonna buy a lathe and make my own molds so I can tailor those to my needs as well. Then come custom chambers, etc. My woodshop is probably soon going to be adulterated into a metal working facility what with the casting and gunsmithing and all.

crs7861
10-12-2013, 01:36 AM
Had to post and start over. My phone wont let me go back to the end of my post. God help me if i touch the wrong spot on my screen. Hence, low post count. Generally not worth the effort.
Back on subject. Got a lee 312-155-2r mold. Cleaned and made about 24 lbs.of ingots from berm lead, battery terminals (I know, batteries are poison), and roof flashings ( u know, vent pipe shrouds). I was really suprised how easily I collected casting necessities from my barn. Pot, ladle, burner, flux (I have a woodshop and definitely endorse sawdust over wax anyday), etc.
So i casted about 10 lbs. of these 312-155gr bullets. Actually weighed in around 160gr. Short and fat AK style. Not at all the pointy AR bullets I'm accustomed to. Ended up with a COAL of 1.190 to make the crimp groove (short and fat). Really should be shorter still for proper mag length function. Havent got that far. Maybe these arent ideal for AR use.
The PC part. I requisitioned an electrical panel cover for my baking sheet. I finally found a use for all those cut off 223 necks from making 300 brass. Managed to place 80 of these neck down to hold my fat lead boolits nose down.

crs7861
10-12-2013, 02:20 AM
This phone is so aggravating.
Turned out like soft points. Stuck to the foil (not nonstick). Waterdropped the whole mess. This lead is really soft. Could dig a hollow point with my fingernail. Purple green ingots.
Skip ahead, grrrr.Casr boolits.. thick necks...
Finally, the money shots ;). Fired these bad boys this evening. First, my target is 28" wide by 12" tall. Holds three 8.5x11" targets. Point of aim bullseye of center target ( imagine 3 pieces of printer next to each other, really cuts down on walking to replace targets).

K. Four kids.. 2 hours on $%%&ing phone. Anti-social personality.
5 rnds, 14gr lil'gun. 5 rnds, 15gr lil'gun. Coal 1.19. Wolf small rifle magnum primer. No gas checks. Really hoped pc would replace gc.

2 shots hit paper. 1 14gr @ 3" low. 1 15gr @ 3" high.

Zero leading. Still a buttload of work to do before I kill any deer with this. Guess its jwords for deer season this year. Definitely for rabbits too. Pics to come. Soon as kids and wife get over this phone #$%& trial.

3006mv
10-31-2013, 06:07 PM
you may need harder cast or a different powder/load
at least you are not seeing any leading.

Crytes
10-31-2013, 07:10 PM
some other pc boolit threads posted results that suggest that best results come from still gas checking gas checked boolits. I'm using the same mold for 300blk and am just waiting for some range time to do some testing. Thing my next purchase will be for doing pc I got my eyes on neon green with a green glow in the dark additive. Wonder if rule against hunting with tracers will include those?

popper
11-01-2013, 10:11 AM
Probably need an alloy with ~3% Sb, WDd. That mould has a very thin rear drive band, won't take much pressure without the GC. You're PCing so cut out the lube groove to make the D.B. larger. Go with a slower powder. I got good (1"@50) results with RD311175 sans check using the H-T stuff (30/30), 1350 fps, LeverE powder which is really slow. I've used H4895 as low as 19 gr, no filler, no problem. AA2400 was all over the place, even PB version.

Smoke4320
11-01-2013, 11:00 AM
leads too soft ..
I would add 50% Clip on Wheel weights
Ideally 48% lead, 50% COWW, and 2% tin .. then PC, size and wait 2 weeks to fully harden
with powdercoating you should be able to work up to about 1900 to 2000 FPS
YMMV

fastglock
11-01-2013, 03:15 PM
I wasn't having any luck shooting that boolit powder coated without a gas check. in my opinion the gas check for that boolit is required for bearing area. Without it there is just not enough bearing area for the rifling. I have a plain base on the way in a group buy....

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?210659-HM%B2-312-155-2-300-BlackOut-boolit-6-cav-s

fastglock
11-01-2013, 03:24 PM
I just got this mold from Accurate. Originally 225B specifically for 300BLK. I had the rear cut to lighten the weight. Haven't shot it yet. Will do tomorrow and be back with a range report. ES PC the rear only.

http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b507/x300blackout/20131031_195848_zps25596af0.jpg

http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b507/x300blackout/20131031_195314_zps9352bc35.jpg