PDA

View Full Version : Look what the cat dragged in! Could not help myself

GARD72977
10-11-2013, 10:20 PM
I have been sliming down my MLs to just what I am going to shoot in competition. (Thanks John Allen) Well I was at the local country store where I buy gas and eat twice a day. The guy that works there is a friend and knows I have started shooting ML. He tells me about a double rifle he has had for 25 years. Its a CVA 50 cal. Nothing fancy and lots of blueing loss. The stock has never had a butt plate. Needless to say it has come home with me. Bores are good and the nipple areas are clean with no pitting. I may put a butt plate on it but other that that I just want to hunt with it. Not a gun I would have been looking for but for the right price I could not say no. The trigger guard and locks are in great shape.

TCLouis
10-11-2013, 10:41 PM
Let us know about the regulation and grouping as you work this one out.

rodwha
10-11-2013, 11:18 PM
"I have been sliming down my MLs to just what I am going to shoot in competition."

The irony!

Nice rifle though!

Hanshi
10-12-2013, 01:23 PM
You don't want to keep that piece of ****! Tell you what; I'll take it off your hands for, let's say, postage. Don't thank me; just being a friend.

Nobade
10-12-2013, 05:26 PM
A friend had one of those. The barrels can be adjusted for regulation, and once it is set it shot really well.

-Nobade

GARD72977
10-12-2013, 08:38 PM
This is a really old one. It does not have the rings around the ends of the barrels to adjust. The guy I bought it from said it was pretty close. elevation was right on but the barrels shot to a different point on the windage.

shredder
10-12-2013, 10:25 PM
elevation was right on but the barrels shot to a different point on the windage.

Too bad it was not the other way around. If they shot to the same windage but different elevation you can work with that. One for short range and one for long. If you are hunting, once you get the sights set for the first barrell you should almost never need the second except maybe for a coup de gras, which may be very handy.

You will likely want to try a few different loads and see if you can bring the barells together that way. Projectile weight can have a fairly dramatic effect on regulation. If you can get some bore sized cast and may be some sabot loads and some patched roundball you should find out quickly what will work best. Never mind rifling twist, she will tell you what she likes. It may help if you can locate a manual for that rifle, it probably has some suggested loads in there.