PDA

View Full Version : Any 338 RCM fans out there?

cainttype
10-11-2013, 05:45 PM
I'm curious if anybody has a few pet loads for cast (at any velocity) in the 338 Ruger Compact Magnum Hawkeye carbines. Having a new rifle but no casings to load with seems to give me plenty of time to look for success stories from others.
Hornady has said (several times) for 9 months that they will be making brass runs to alleviate the lack of availability... Eventually, I assume I'll actually be shooting the rifle. If not, it could very well be the beginning of a new 458x2. I KNOW I can get brass for that anytime.

frankenfab
10-11-2013, 05:54 PM
I saw Hornady 30 RCM ammo on the shelf today at Ft. Thompson Sporting goods. I bet they had 338 as well. About the only thing they don't have is the cheaper 22 shells and 300 Blackout.

I don't have anything in either cartridge, but I bet they are both good cast boolit rounds.

cainttype
10-11-2013, 06:02 PM
The ammo is available but I want casings. I've contemplated factory ammo to aquire the brass but it really doesn't appeal to me...That's why I'm still patiently waiting for Hornady to step up, with the better part of a year having passed since the first phone call.

kmoomoo1
11-08-2013, 02:31 AM
Still not available. I don't see it coming any time soon either. I have 150 rounds I bought several years ago (all Hornady brass). I've loaded it 2 times so far and it's holding up well. I also bought 100 rounds of loaded winchester last year for the brass. Got it at a show for $22/box (20 rnds ea) and couldn't pass it up. Haven't shot the factory yet but the reloads with the 225 Hornady Interbond are SUPERB! 2.5" at 300 yds. For me, that's superb as it will put down anything walking in North America with the combo of bullet weight, group and velocity at range. Love the rifle too (Ruger .338 RCM in LH, beautiful furniture and great bluing).

osteodoc08
11-08-2013, 10:32 AM
I've inquired about the 30 RCM and 338 RCM and the responses I got on another board was they are essentially dead. Personally, I love the concept, especially the 338 RCM. I'm sure it would make for some fine elk medicine. You don't have to have the fastest and greatest. Sometimes something just plain works. Perhaps that's why I love my 7mm-08 and 45/70.

If your hard up for brass, PM me and I'll give you the name of my LGS as they had some in stock last time I was there. Hornady brass I believe. They're expensive, but perhaps you can strike a deal with them to get it to move.

texassako
11-08-2013, 11:03 AM
I would start looking real hard at how to form the cases yourself. You might be waiting a long time for brass, and the .375 Ruger parent is popular enough you can even get it in basic form.

cainttype
11-08-2013, 09:57 PM
I've stocked up with 375 Ruger brass already, in case I need to resort to forming. I'd prefer saving them as an excuse to shop for a new toy in that chambering, though.
I have no problem waiting for brass to become available now, but eventually that will change.
Hornady has said they're catching up. They made a run of 300 RCM a few months back, and it apparently sold out in a few weeks. You'd have to think with that sort of demand they'd be trying hard to keep the production going, especially for proprietary brass. When you have the market cornered, it makes good business sense to supply it before paying customers lose interest and migrate to less problematic alternatives.
I have some 338 RCM brass, but would like more. I plan on being patient for the time being but hope that Hornady doesn't drop the ball. If they supply the components more readily I doubt that the RCMs will actually totally die off. They're too good a concept for that, regardless of lackluster sales. The people that currently enjoy them will continue to use them.
I've used wildcats for years so case-forming isn't an obstacle. I'd rather have it easier with a "factory" chambering, though.

Wolfer
11-09-2013, 11:31 AM
I don't have a 338 RCM. I do have a 338 win mag. A year or so ago I bought a lee mold but couldn't find any checks. Finally got some checks and worked up some loads. I didn't have time for an extensive work up, I was just looking for velocity.
My alloy is pretty soft, bhn 10/12. My first powder in cast rifles is always 2400. I've never shot it in any rifle that it wasn't accurate in if everything else was correct. Accuracy usually starts to fall off above 1700/1800 fps in my 10" twist rifles.
I started with 20 gr and worked up to 24 gr to get me to 1775 fps. I didn't set the bench up so I didn't shoot for group. In working up the loads I noticed that where ever the crosshairs were when the trigger broke that's where the boolit landed. I throwed a few together and rang my 200 yd gong until dark.
Lube was LLA and I didn't use any filler.
24 gr doesn't occupy much space in the mag case but seemed to work just fine. I have 5744 that I'll try sometime but in the past it hasn't worked well me. Seems to me by the time it has enough pressure to burn right I've passed my rpm threshold. I picked up some 4759 yesterday to play with so I'll see how that goes.
Deer season starts here next week and I think I'll try one with this load. I don't consider the lee to be the best choice in a game boolit but it's pretty soft and I'm sure if I do my part it'll work.
Recoil is about like a 30-30 with factory loads.
Woody

ol skool
11-13-2013, 03:44 AM
Brass can be made from 300rcm too. 375 needs the neck turned, 300 doesn't.

Anyone signed up for the NOE 338320 201Gr. FN group buy?

noobie steve

cainttype
11-13-2013, 10:37 AM
I passed on a run of 300 RCM a few months ago, thinking the 338 run would shortly follow... that was obviously a false assumption. I've got 300 RCM ammo stashed for the same reason I have the 375 Ruger brass.
I'm in no hurry. I've never been able to "catch up" with my to-do list in the workshop, so it isn't like I don't have other things to keep me occupied. I just thought that there might be a good chance someone visiting this site would have an idea where some brass might be collecting dust.
The case-forming from 375 would be the last resort if the RCMs were ever actually discontinued in the future. Forming from 300 at this time presents the same issue as the 338, in that I can't find it stocked at prices that I recently passed on. Since I'm waiting anyway, I'd just as soon have the correct headstamp.
I appreciate the replies. Now, if someone was to stumble on a good stash of 338 RCM brass to trade with (or sell)...that would make my day. :)

ol skool
11-14-2013, 11:15 PM
Curious to what experienced boolit makers think of this?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?133410-NOE-338320-201Gr-FN

cainttype
11-15-2013, 09:30 PM
I signed up for the NOE GB about 6 weeks ago, but the list hasn't updated since. The drawings work well with several .338 rifles I use, in fact, it closely resembles a couple of LBT .375 moulds that I'm very happy with.
I expect it to be really useful, and would actually be surprised if it doesn't work exceptionally well in 338-308 and 338-'06 class case capacities.

ol skool
04-23-2014, 01:51 AM
Bump this...

Anyone contact Hornady? Are we gonna see brass before hunting season? Time to think of rechambering or is 375 Ruger gonna be made to wildcat the 338? I can deal with 375 if they ARE gonna make it.

To bad they (Ruger and Hornady) bailed. Only short that made any sense...

cainttype
04-25-2014, 01:06 PM
I didn't have much trouble finding 375 Ruger, even Ruger Basic...although I haven't tried for a few months.
I don't see the 375 disappearing from either Ruger or Hornady's line. The 375 has enjoyed wide acceptance, it's popularity and potential for big market success is obvious. If the brass is difficult to obtain now, it should be available before many other less popular products.
I'm thinking that other major manufacturers will be producing 375 Ruger brass eventually.

cainttype
04-25-2014, 06:16 PM
Bump this...

Anyone contact Hornady? Are we gonna see brass before hunting season? Time to think of rechambering or is 375 Ruger gonna be made to wildcat the 338? I can deal with 375 if they ARE gonna make it.

To bad they (Ruger and Hornady) bailed. Only short that made any sense...

A quick check at Gunbroker shows a fair amount of 375 Ruger brass available. Still no 338 RCM brass, but the ammo is available. Ammo for the 300 is also listed.
Hope that helps.

ol skool
04-25-2014, 09:52 PM
Yea, I know that. Like you I have 375 and 300 brass in reserve. I haven't have time to call Hornady. Like that would do any good.

Plainsman
10-09-2016, 11:49 PM
I just acquired a brand new .338 RCM Hawkeye Standard with open sights amd am as excited as a kid on XMas morning! I ordered 50 rounds of new brass and a die set, which will be here Thursday. I could only find three different bullets in town, settled on the Hornady SST 250 gr. I'm looking for load data for those currently. Any leads would be greatly appreciated!

I'll be buying a Lee mold fo sure and will be looking for more molds along the way. I see the NOE mentioned above and will look into that. Also, does anybody know of a roundball mold size that I should consider for messing with? I use .451" with a .430 sizer for the .44's for fun, and am willing to do something similar for the .338.

Thanks for any/all leads!

Plainsman
08-03-2017, 02:21 PM
I just did some looking for more brass and can't find any! I wish I had ordered more than 50 last fall! Guess Ill have to buy as much as I can when I see it again!

I did a wide internet search and think I've just ordered the last 250 rounds of brass to be found in the nation. I hope they are really in the warehouse and being shipped!

Plainsman
08-06-2017, 07:35 PM
My brass is on the way! It should be here Tues!

capitanoinsano
03-16-2021, 12:42 AM
I am looking for .338 RCM brass. New or once fired. Thanks