PDA

View Full Version : Using the Ideal #1 Sizer

KCSO
08-23-2005, 02:36 PM
I recently had the opportunity to use my Ideal #1 Sizer lubricator that is pictured below. This is an early unit with the water faucet handel on top and is in just aboout new condition. I purchased a Lyman 45 for sapre parts and when I opened the box nesteled in the instructions for a 45 was this #1 complete with a set of 358 dies and a R/N top punch. I am working on an article on reloading with original tools for NCOWS and I used the sizer in conjunction with an Ideal #3 tong tool and an Ideal #5 powder measure.

The Ideal is very similar to the #45 Lyman, but not as robust and not as much leverage. This coupled with the old style sizing dies and the old style split ring pressure nut for the lube makes for some interesting work.

#1 The split ring pressure nut will not hold the lube as well as the modern O ring design. This means that you must lube each bullet individualy rather than pumping up the pressure and doing several in a row. I don't find this particulary objectionable, as this is how I was taught to use the 45. The Water pump handle is different to say the least and takes some getting use to.

#2 The old style dies coupled with the lack of leverage and a firm desire NOT to stress anything means you can't size more than 2 thou max. Cast from 1-20 tin to lead 360 dia. bullets for the 38 S and W were putting some stress on the handle of the sizer. I tried a 360 from 1/2 Lino 1/2 W/W and couldn't even get it started with the pressure I wanted to put on the handle. I couldn't imagine trying to size a w/w 461 to 457 in this unit, I would bet that the handle would break off before yo got through a box of shells.

All in all this is a luber in the main and will size about 2 thou in soft alloys. The old style dies, in addition make it hard to size a concentric bullet if it is much over that 2 thou mark. Compared to pan lubing and squeezing through a #10 tool the Ideal #1 is some hot stuff. Compared to the Star sizer it is a Model T compared to a Porsche.

Bent Ramrod
08-24-2005, 01:27 AM
That's a fabulous specimen, KCSO.

I haven't tried the one I have. It's missing the wrench on top, but is otherwise complete. As you noted, their successful use relied a good deal on bullet molds and sizing dies that were precision manufactured close to their stated diameters, and soft alloys. Bringing a linotype bullet down four or five thou is a job for a much heavier machine.