PDA

View Full Version : Lead shortage

Bear Claw
11-03-2007, 03:30 AM
Is anyone else noticing lead is getting a little harder to find?

I still have my secret source's for WW & 20 or 30-1 mix but pure lead is strangely MIA and my usual supply source has dried up, went to the big local plumbing supplier here but no luck.

Anyone know how much tin if any is in lead shot? I have a small (200lb)
stash of that, I am not in a panic ( yet ) I just was wondering if it is a local phenomenon or not.

:drinks:

MGySgt
11-03-2007, 07:48 AM
Sorry - I have about 1K worth of Pure, don't really use it, just collect it. Lately the only place I have been getting it is from my WW buckets. I will probably make some 20-1 or 30-1 out of it some day.
All the 'Stick On' type go into a seperate 5 gal bucket instead of in the melt with the rest of the WW.

Right now I have about 1.5 5 gal buckets of the Stick on's that need to be smelted. I have another 10 buckets (5 gal) that need to be sorted and smelted. Probably wind up with another 1/4-1/2 bucket of stick ons from them.

Drew

singleshotbuff
11-03-2007, 02:41 PM
Bear claw,

There shouldn't be any tin in lead shot, if I read your question correctly. Should only contain lead and antimony, plus a trace of arsenic I think. The amount of antimony will vary, depending on if it's "chilled" or "magnum" shot. Please think before you melt shot to make boolits, lead shot has gone through the roof in price. I bet you could swap lead shot for alloy in a pinch and help out a shotgunner. I know I personally would swap alloy for shot at this time, if I could find some local. I'd even be willing to swap 2:1 alloy for shot. I have alloy for boolits, but refuse to pay $49.00 a bag for shot, it was $19.00 last summer. My shotguns have been pretty quiet this summer.

SSB

NSP64
11-03-2007, 11:33 PM
singleshotbuff, what size shot were you looking for? I have 14# of no8 lawrence magnum and a brand new lawrence 25# bag of 7 1/2 chilled I would trade for some WW or 20-1 ingots[smilie=1:

singleshotbuff
11-04-2007, 12:15 AM
newsmokepole64,

PM on the way.

SSB

Bret4207
11-04-2007, 09:18 AM
All scrap metal, all metals for that matter, seem to be high now. I think we're in a highly inflationary period right now.