PDA

View Full Version : Lead-Tin Alloys (smooth and even sprue cut)

detox
10-10-2013, 03:37 PM
Have you ever noticed how smoothly the sprue plate cuts sprue off base of boolit using this type of alloy...no voids caused by brittle antimony..just a super smooth cut. If you time it right you can cut sprue just by pushing sprue plate open by hand (No knocking stick needed). RCBS recommends 1-10 alloy in most all of their pistol moulds. I know 1-10 can be expensive which is the main reason most people do not use it. I have plenty 1-10 alloy that i want to compair against my other alloys (Linotype, #2, WW). I bet it shoots best in my 686 357 magnum.

country gent
10-10-2013, 03:49 PM
I have been using 20-1 alloy in the Black powder rifles now. Its soft enough to bump up casts very nice and seems to grip the shilouettes more on impact. I cast 30 lbs of 40-1 to test in my 45-90 hepburn and sharps. Im shooting paper patched bullets so leading isnt an issue. But I have found much fewer Voids or rough sprue cuts with these alloys also. My mold s are nose pour so after cast the bullets dont show any discrepencies. I have cast Lymans 45 cal postell ( my mould is converted to nose pour also) with the same results.
I find I need a hotter temp with these alloys though around 750 degrees. But then Im casting big boolits at 500+ grns.

'74 sharps
10-10-2013, 07:45 PM
Fine article on the LASC website about alloy hardness.