PDA

View Full Version : Filson?

LIMPINGJ
10-10-2013, 10:56 AM
My son got me a gift certificate from Filson for my birthday. I was looking at their Packer Coat and wondered I anyone uses this coat? I am in East TX where our winter is usually wet. I could purchase a wool liner later if I got to hunt someplace colder.

Char-Gar
10-10-2013, 11:29 AM
Years ago I bought a Filson Cruiser made from the "Forestry Cloth", a tightly woven wool fabric that was fairly light. That would shed water like a duck and keep you warm to boot. I used it for years until I outgrew it and then gave it to my son who also used it for years. I don't know if they still make them or not.

wch
10-10-2013, 12:35 PM
Filson clothing is great stuff; I have used the same coat in rain and snow for 15 years and other than re-waxing once, never had another thing needed for continued use.

remy3424
10-10-2013, 02:57 PM
"when you have to have the best"...great stuff, I have only had the pleasure to own their tin cloth chaps, worn them out after 10 years or so of bird hunting and now into a set of double tin chaps...have a cap also made for their waxed tin cloth...the best...no help on their coats, would love to have a couple though!

Outpost75
10-10-2013, 03:00 PM
Waxed tin cloth packer coat with zip-in wool liner is perfect for your part of the country.

http://www.filson.com/products/tin-cloth-packer-coat-extra-long.10002.html

PbHurler
10-10-2013, 03:34 PM
Outpost75 (above) is right.

I wear a Filson waxed tin Outfitter coat, (looks like this coat is no longer available in "tin" though). I use either the lightweight wool zip-in vest in the very early winter or the lightweight wool zip-in jacket when the sleet flys. Both have been plenty warm in Oklahoma's extremes anyway.

The only time I used a heavyweight wool liner was to shovel the drive; it'll get too warm (for me) when exerting myself.

Your son cares about you, he gave you "The Best"

powderburnerr
10-10-2013, 10:20 PM
A filson "tin" coat is stiffer than all get out and takes a lot of wearing and abrasion to soften up If it is just cold and not really wet the same coat without the wax is still very waterproof and a lot more flexable especially on cold days . I got both and like the unwaxed one a whole lot better.

redneckdan
10-10-2013, 10:21 PM
I have the packer coat. It does work pretty well. I bought Jen the women's upland game coat before her first forestry job out west. Some how she manages to wear the oil finish off in a years time. I recoat it and leave it pretty heavy. Most of the marking paint over spray doesn't stick and wipes off after it dries. Not sure it's completely worth the cost. Doesn't help that the friggin hipsters have driven up the price of anything Filson, Pendleton, etc...

Kull
10-10-2013, 11:10 PM
Go to Filson's site and check out reviews of their different gear. Lots of good honest opinions about their different cloths, fit, durability, etc.

I have the Tin Cloth Field Coat and Zip-In Jacket Liner. It's what replaced my hella old hand-me-down Golden Fleece jacket I loved. Tin cloth by itself is not warm, at least I don't think so when the temp is 28F or less. The coats/jackets are not fully lined, and be aware that the Packer Coat is not designed to take the full sleeve zip in liner, only the vest. Tin cloth is also as already mentioned pretty stiff at first, and if you've never worn any oil cloth before it's definitely a different experience. Of course Filson is expensive, and like Dillon you can't really shop around as it's all the same price no matter where you get it from.

For me the best things about their tin cloth stuff is it's damn near waterproof, definitely windproof, and almost indestructible.

PS Paul
10-10-2013, 11:39 PM
Worked very near their production facility in Seattle for 7 years. Dealt with their products A LOT over the years and found it all to be virtually the very best money could buy. I own one of their wool jackets (red/black plaid) that is over 45 years old. Hand-me-down from an Uncle and VERY used, it still looks great despite being worn whilst taking over 35 deer, 15 elk and numerous grouse/pheasant/etc. Not to mention the many DOZEN razor clam digs I've been on while wearing the thing........

WallyM3
10-11-2013, 12:13 AM
Recently, Filson has "out sourced" some of the catalog items, but the coats and jackets, for which they are justly famous, are still USA made (I understand).

Amongst those, you can almost close your eyes, stab at the catalog pages and have a garment that will last unto the fourth generation. My wool coat (just a gray thing that never seems to show any age, though I wear it mercilessly) is decades old.

waksupi
10-11-2013, 01:51 AM
If this would fit you, here is a good deal in their close outs.

http://www.filson.com/products/antique-tin-cloth-barn-coat-extra-long.10233.html?fromCat=true&fvalsProduct=collections/web-specials&fmetaProduct=cc15

Ramar
10-11-2013, 07:02 AM
waksupi, good buy, but an import.
Ramar

TheGrimReaper
10-11-2013, 09:29 AM
Filson makes some FINE stuff!!!

Kull
10-20-2013, 01:22 PM
Something maybe worth mentioning that I've never seen anything about on their site, but they say is seen all the time on the floor, is fit of the liners to the coats. You would think a large liner would fit a large coat but no. Soon as you zip everything in place the liner will bunch up around the neck, and do the same thing all along where it's zipped in when you zip the coat up. Surprisingly uncomfortable. If you buy a vest or full sleeve liner with the intent of never wearing it by itself, always zipped in, buy one size smaller than your coat/jacket.

geargnasher
10-20-2013, 01:31 PM
I'm sorry to hear they're outsourcing now. I have a couple of polished cotton shirts that are over 20 years old and still going strong, but would like more since I've uh, "widened" a bit since high school.

Gear

Kull
10-20-2013, 01:40 PM
http://www.filson.com/filson/about-filson-products/where-our-products-made/

I don't like that they have some things that are imported, but at least it's very few things. Seems like 99% of it all is either made at Filson or made in the USA.