PDA

View Full Version : Any words of wisdom for me as I go hunting for the first time?

7Acres
10-09-2013, 01:41 PM
I'm not sure how to start this post. So I'll just throw out some detail to paint a picture. I've never hunted before but I've been around guns (mostly pistol), shooting and reloading for years. Moved out to a house in the country 3 years ago. I've got several wooded acres just like all my neighbors. House came with a permanent tree stand back in the woods.

I've got a great relationship with my neighbor whose property backs up to mine. He's going to teach me how to skin a deer if I get one this year. Long story short, I'm all licensed up for hunting dear and I finished replacing the rotten floor of the tree stand last night.

My hunting IQ is just this side of zero. I'm doing basically exactly what my neighbor has told me to. I've got an old camo army jacket I bought from an Army Navy store several years ago, a pair of black army boots and a pair of medium brown Carhartt pants. All sprayed down with Earth Masking Scent. I've also purchased a grunt call to do a doe blat if the deer keeps walking and won't hold still (neighbor's advice).

My neighbor hunts shotgun only because he said he's too shaky for rifle. So he defaulted to advising me to hunt with a shotgun w/ 00 buck. My only shotgun is a home defense shotgun with a 18.5" barrel. But I really want to take my Rossi .357 lever gun loaded with some 158gr or 125gr cast.

Rifle season opens Friday and I've got the day off of work. My expectations are low but I am excited to finally be getting into hunting! I'm almost sure the deer will spot me or I'll scare them off somehow because I have no clue. What advice could you offer to a new hunter like me?

country gent
10-09-2013, 01:50 PM
First off its hunting so Its a grab bag from the start. Things to increase your odds are no cell phones on. Deer dont want to hear it either. Stay as still as possible movement stands out way more than anything else. Be comfortable in the stand. Have a saftey strap to prevent falls.
Most of all enjoy the day pay attention to all the critters moving around the breezes and just the beautiful day. Take advantage of the solitude and Gods amazing beauty he made. Also set out some range markers to help you judge the distances. A simple stick with a marked end at 40 yd increments to judge distance can be a big help also.

Sensai
10-09-2013, 01:52 PM
Safety, first last and always! The most important thing you can do is to control the muzzle of your gun. Don't count on a mechanical safety to do it's job. If you have practiced with it you would be much better off with the rifle, but that's just my opinion. Tree stand safety is a whole topic of it's own. The first rule is not to climb with a gun. The second rule is not to pull the gun up by the muzzle. And whatever you do TIE OFF! Once you're up there just try to be still and quiet. Remember, it's supposed to be fun. Best wishes, Gary

starmac
10-09-2013, 01:54 PM
Have you patterned that shotgun at different ranges, with the 00 buckshot.

7Acres
10-09-2013, 01:57 PM
I forgot that my neighbor did give me a harness. I will now figure it out and use it. Thanks for reminding me!

gnoahhh
10-09-2013, 01:58 PM
I would use the rifle, unless you have patterned the shotgun with buckshot and know exactly how far away you can shoot and still hold a tight enough pattern to do the job. Get up in your stand before daylight, sit still, keep your eyes open, and be darned sure of your shot when you pull the trigger. That .357 isn't a long range gun- let the deer get close. Pass up a shot that you can't guarantee will put the deer down efficiently. Better a passed up shot than to needlessly wound a deer that you might never catch up to after it runs off.

Sitting in one spot staring out at the same trees for hours on end can drive anyone bat****. To pass the time while sitting still, I often take a book along. Look up from the page every few seconds and keep your ears peeled. Once you get the hang of it, nothing will sneak past you.

7Acres
10-09-2013, 01:58 PM
starmac, at 15' it spreads out to about 14".

s mac
10-09-2013, 01:59 PM
Hunt into the wind. Don't you need hunters orange? A deer's nose is it's best defence.

7Acres
10-09-2013, 02:02 PM
What about shotgun with deer slug VS .357 lever gun?

7Acres
10-09-2013, 02:07 PM
S Mac, neighbor did tell me to get an orange hat. I bought an orange camo vest instead. I think I'll take back the vest and just get a hat. Thanks!

s mac
10-09-2013, 02:36 PM
In my state a hat and vest or coat is required, camo orange does not suit requirement.

starmac
10-09-2013, 02:41 PM
It would be in the regs what your state requires for the percentage of orange, if any, not all states require it.

Blammer
10-09-2013, 02:42 PM
Use the 357 with the 158gr bullets.
Find out WHERE to shoot the deer for a good kill. I suggest heart lung with a shoulder combo. In a tree stand you may have to aim LOWER for the vitals, figure out where they are on a deer. Don't be afraid to shoot more than once! Shoot till he/she is down, then of course, stop shooting.

Bring a snack, something comfy to sit on and a sharp knife.

Dress warmly. Get a hat and a scarf of some sort. Not necessarily camo but something to keep your head warm, personally I never leave home with out a hat. An orange one is best.

7Acres
10-09-2013, 02:44 PM
I'm about half way through the SC regulations. I guess those details are coming up shortly.

Blammer
10-09-2013, 02:56 PM
ah SC, you have tons of deer running about, should be no problem to get one. I think you're allowed 30 a year or so.... :)

300winmag
10-09-2013, 03:04 PM
medium brown Carhartt pants.
Be careful with the brown some trigger happy will shoot you. Brown with a white hanky hanging out the back pocket, you might get shot.
Good luck on your hunt.

Smoke4320
10-09-2013, 03:09 PM
what are of SC are you in?
the 357 and 158's should get you deer to 100yds WITH proper shot placement.. The shotgun not so much.. 18" barrel and buckshot would be less than approx. 35 yds for a clean kill .. Slugs you will need to pattern to know the drops at different ranges
As said before while on the stand control your scents and movement/noise.. deer can hear/see better than you think..
Good luck love to see more hunters in our ranks :) :)

300savage
10-09-2013, 03:25 PM
after you shoot one you are going to be excited and likely to forget a few of your basics. so the first thing to remember is that before you make a single move to get out of your stand check, and REcheck to insure you do not have a round chambered.
and if your the praying sort, take a moment to thank God for the gift. it will make the moment even more special.

popper
10-09-2013, 05:11 PM
357, low power binocs, pit stop before you climb. No chariso for breakfast or beans for dinner. Study anatomy as you will be shooting DOWN. Scout for the trail before you climb, make sure you have a good shooting alley.

Janoosh
10-09-2013, 06:59 PM
Get in before dawn...note the colors...as the sun comes up your sight picture changes...if you have a round oval "moon" face...watch for sun reflection, as you will become a spotlight. Enjoy every minute of the hunt... and stay caim.

obssd1958
10-09-2013, 07:19 PM
Something that is mentioned infrequently, and shown even less - sometimes you can't tell if the deer is hit right away. They don't always "hunch up" or "kick up their heels" or fall down. If you take the shot, do the responsible thing, and follow it up by checking for blood or tracking the deer to make sure that you either hit it or not. Every one that I know who has been hunting for any substantial amount of time, has at least one story about the one who didn't react to the shot, but was found lying dead not far away.
I know, lots of things to think about, but you'll get it!

Don

dragon813gt
10-09-2013, 07:25 PM
Don't get all worried about sitting absolutely still. I can't stay in the same spot long and have to constantly adjust. My cell phone ringer is turned off but I use it to break the boredom of sitting in the stand. I don't use it when it's still dark. But I don't worry about moving around or using the phone. They walk out right in front of me all the time.

Make sure you read all the regulations before you think of going out. Especially the orange requirements. I don't know if they're in effect on private land in your state. But on opening day up here even private property has people that will walk through so better to be safe and wear it.

Your heart is going to race when you see a deer and you're going to rush to pull the gun up to take a shot. Relax, concentrate on your breathing to slow your heart and bring the gun up when a deer isn't looking at you. And any movements should be slow and controlled. If it's 100 yards off it's not as important but at archery distance it is. Make sure you know where the deer was standing when you shot it and which way it ran if it does. Not knowing where to start looking for a blood trail can be frustrating.

And I'm hoping you read up on how to field dress the deer. Skinning is completely separate. Watch the bladder if you shoot a buck and don't feel bad when you cut his manhood off ;)

Tdart
10-09-2013, 07:50 PM
When you do shoot one, look for very clear landmarks of where it was when you shot. Things look completely different from the ground, and it is so easy to lose where the deer exactly was.

When it is time to shoot, pick out a hair and aim for it. It's the old aim small miss small adage, but it really works.

turmech
10-09-2013, 08:32 PM
Lots of good advise give already and it should serve you well. Best advise I would give is stay safe and enjoy yourself. Don't put any expectation on yourself and just enjoy the experience.

I have never been a big fan of buckshot for deer. Although that is nearly all my dad would ever use in one of his old single shots. As a young man it is what he gave me to use. To this day when he does hunt with me I can't seem to get him to put the buckshot down despite having many other choice. It will defiantly kill a deer no doubt, but if it does not drop right there we rarely if ever had a blood trail. The buckshot either would not exit or the hole would close or clot. You get to be a good tracker by finding shot deer without a blood trail, but given the choice I definitely prefer one. I would use a slug or the 357 vs the 00 buck. If you are set on the buckshot 000 always did better for us. Another good suggestion is if your shotgun is a pump, double or auto use a slug as the first shot and buckshot as a follow up.

375RUGER
10-09-2013, 09:25 PM
I'll just tell you what I told my wife, Take the first legal shot you can. She didn't, because she wanted a BIGGER one. She learned a valuable lesson that day. She has since learned some other lessons about hunting and is wiser because I told her it is a learning experience and that filling a tag is not all there is to hunting. But I do so want her to get something. She didn't draw a tag this year though. Maybe next year.

starmac
10-09-2013, 09:33 PM
Is New Mexico draw only now?? Or is it just the area you hunt in?

oscarflytyer
10-09-2013, 09:46 PM
wind in your face. wear orange. UNLOADED GUN on the ground - pull it up into the stand with a rope - THEN load it. Full body Safety Harness - ALWAYS. And as stated, don't get excited after the shot and lose your mind - and possibly your life! UNLOAD gun, lower it, climb down with the harness ON! Reload gun. Approach deer from the back and rear - NOT hoof side! Poke it in the rump to make sure it is dead. then go poke it in the eye as well.

Use a SHARP knife. Dull gets you hurt. Never pull the knife towards you. Always let someone know where you plan to be, and when you are expected to return. Wear rubber gloves when you dress/butcher deer. Lesson hard learned. Almost lost my hand when I was younger for lack of this!

Be careful, relax and thoroughly enjoy the outdoors experience. It is not always about killing something! Good Luck! Hope that BIG buck walks under you and stops broadside for you!

missionary5155
10-09-2013, 09:51 PM
Greetings
One week before I start bow hunting all my gear gets washed in no scent, no UV soap. Then deposited in large plastic bags full of leaves and some dirt.
Nothing rattles, nothing shines. Day before season one apple gets cut into quarters. Park the vehicle so the movement into stand area is into the wind as best as possible. When I leave my car and away from the road, into the grass I rub down with apple my boots, camo, day pack.. everything gets apple rubbed. I arrive early enough that I will be in my stand settled 30 minutes before it is light enough to see. Movement to stand is slow, cautious and as quiet as possible. 15 minutes before first light I stop any unnecessary movement. Become part of the woods. No sounds, no movements. Slow head rotations no matter what.
Last hunting season I had 13 deer walk up to my tree and sniff around. All my deer in the last 5 seasons when I was up north there were stuck at 15 yards and most at 10 yards and less. Only one buck was stuck at 22 yards which is my farthest shot to date. I have had deer actally lick my tree steps tasting the apple residew. Deer like apples. Smell like an apple.
Mike in Peru

jeepyj
10-09-2013, 09:57 PM
One fellows opinion, If your brush hunting a shotgun is good but sitting in that lovely tree stand go for the 357. Bring a nice full Thermos of coffee and ample snacks. You are already ahead of the game with a tree stand.(my method of hunting) Listen to your surroundings as others have mentioned it becomes pretty amazing. Be patent while enjoying just existing with nature before long if your in a area that Deer frequent they will come along. Take your time and squeeze the the trigger. If you are unsure of the shot placement in 5 minutes you can look on the internet for the optimal place to shoot a deer. For some future reference consult with a local university or a knowledgeable hunter and do some planting that deer can't resist. I have a friend who hasn't failed to ether shoot a deer or help a youth shoot one (my son included) each year for the last 10 years or so on his own land. The internet can also can be a wealth of knowledge for future deer plots. good luck!
Jeepyj

freebullet
10-09-2013, 09:58 PM
Take a pee bottle, & water/snack. Go early- stay late. I'd use 357, it works. It should get you to 60yds easily. Slugs work great but they take more practice to be accurate with most times. Go put a few on paper before the hunt. If you need to reposition for the shot when a deer is in sight simply WAIT for the deer to look away. Be patient you can spook them from a small property easily. Secure yerself to the tree, & relax.
Good luck!

7Acres
10-09-2013, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. One question. I remember reading here that some like blued barrels for hunting to minimize light glint off the metal. My rifle is SS. Should I put dark tape on the SS?

tommag
10-09-2013, 10:20 PM
One thing I was taught long ago was if you are sure you made a good hit, relax for 20 minutes or so. Give them time to lie down and stiffen up before tracking them. Otherwise, adrenaline might keep them moving farther than they might if you start out after them right away. Obviously this wouldn't apply if you watch it go down.
Never done this, but a camera shot of where it was when you shot might help in case you have a hard time finding the blood trail.**

Never hunted with buckshot, but in the academy we shot it to show its weaknesses. Cylinder bbl and 50 yards, frequently all pellets would miss a man sized silhouette target while striking all around it.

contender1
10-09-2013, 11:12 PM
A Hunter Safety course should be required if you haven't taken one.

300savage
10-09-2013, 11:19 PM
one last bit of advice from me, and one i learned the hard way and caused me to come as close to losing my life as i have ever come on a hunt.
if you walk up to your deer and his eyes are closed, HE IS ALIVE !!!
shoot him again instantly.

i found myself in a wrestling match with a big mule deer in arizona in my youth that i almost did not win.
there were three things that saved me, first is that he was spine hit and only had the use of his front legs, but believe me when i say that is enough to take you out..
two was the steepness of the mountainside helped prevent him from getting good purchase with his front legs, and three i was a professional rodeo cowboy in fighting shape used to wrestling calves on our ranches, oh and one more and that was God obviously still had some use for me in this life or i would have been skewered thriugh the liver that day.
at one point in our fight to the death i literally had his antler tip pressing into my guts.did you know that a deer can roar like a lion? he was throwing rocks with his front hooves as he was about to win that match when his downhill leg slipped and i was able to take advantage of him being off balace which gave me just enough of a chance to twist his head over and roll him down the side of the mountain.
i kept that shirt i was wearing that day for many years just so i could look at the tear across the belly to remind myself of how fast things can turn deadly in the bush.
good luck, suck the marrow out of the entire experiance , not just the kill, keep a cool head and come home safe.
there are people somewhere i am sure who love you and are counting on you to come back for them.

oscarflytyer
10-09-2013, 11:30 PM
one last bit of advice from me, and one i learned the hard way and caused me to come as close to losing my life as i have ever come on a hunt.
if you walk up to your deer and his eyes are closed, HE IS ALIVE !!!
shoot him again instantly.

+10!!! Why I recommended walking up from behind. DEF check his eyes - CLOSED IS B A D - Shoot again!!! If open - and yes, can be open and VERY alive too! As stated already - poke him in the **** first, away from kicking hooves! A live one can spin their hooves like lawnmower blades! IF he passes the rump test, again, away from hooves, put a stick or gun bbl in his open eye. If no reaction - good to go.

I have shot just one deer in the neck of all of them, and did not kill her outright. She was spinning and kicking and raising Cain. Her hooves were deadly! They can rip you open like a can opener. Be cautious upon approach.

smoked turkey
10-09-2013, 11:58 PM
You have had so much good advice already. So in an effort to encourage you I will say that I shot a very nice doe last season with a .357 rifle loaded with a 180 gr cast boolit and 6 gr. of Herco powder. I limited my range to 50 yards since my rifle has open sights. Make no mistake, the .357 rifle will do the job for you if you respect the distance and do your part in boolit placement. After the shot do your best to watch the deer and note two things: 1. Where the deer was at the shot and 2. Where was the deer when you last saw it? Chances are if you did your part right you will find the deer within 60-75 yards. If it was a solid hit in flesh (no bone), then the deer can travel further than you might think. Lots of times they don't know when they are done. I have also noticed that a well shot deer will travel downhill since its easier than going uphill. Most importantly success isn't always measured by the kill. It can be a successful hunt for you by just enjoying the experience even if no shot is fired. Let us know how it was.

Rainier
10-10-2013, 12:01 AM
To answer your SS question - I'm not sure it's that big of a concern but some might think so. I once had a .223 varmint gun that was stainless. I would cover the barrel with a cut down gun sock. I slid the sock over the barrel and fore grip and borrowed a couple of my wife's black ponytail holders to secure it in place. Might be easier then removing tape and a sticky mess.
Have fun! And above all Stay Safe!

MtGun44
10-10-2013, 01:18 AM
If legal, use the .357! Better range.
Try to move as little as possible, and if you do move, move very slowly.
Keep scanning and listen. You can often hear deer way before you see them
of the leaves are dry. Do you know how to deal with a dead deer?

Good luck!
Bill

dragon813gt
10-10-2013, 05:29 AM
A Hunter Safety course should be required if you haven't taken one.

He should have had to present his card to get his license the first time. But I haven't seen anyone do this since I was a kid in the eighties. Hopefully he did participate in one.

Thumbcocker
10-10-2013, 09:04 AM
If you are shooting from a stand be sure to remeimber that you are shooitng at a 3 diemnsional target. Aim for the exit hole and you will be fine.

crowbuster
10-10-2013, 09:15 AM
Be sure of your target, never shoot at movement. Its not about the kill, enjoy the woods and all the critters, be carefull and have fun.

Sensai
10-10-2013, 09:47 AM
^ THAT It stinks like the dickens after you spend the day trying to find him/her.[smilie=s:

searcher4851
10-10-2013, 01:27 PM
Much very sound advice here. I'd just like to stress making sure what is BEYOND your target. As others have said before me, hunting is an experience in itself, whether you take an animal or not. I've had days hunting that were maybe even more enjoyable when I didn't get my quarry, but saw so much other wildlife going about it's business, that the experience was more memorable than the taste of any meat harvested could have been.

7Acres
10-10-2013, 01:38 PM
The regs say a hunter safety course is only required for people born after June 1979. I was born in 1978! Must be the reason I didn't get challenged on that when I applied for and recieved my license.

Regarding wearing orange, best I could tell, all the orange rules are for hunting in Wildlife Management Areas. I still did buy an orange hat and will be wearing it though. Don't want to get mistaken for medium-sized thin skin game :-)

thekidd76
10-10-2013, 01:39 PM
It's been said, but don't get discouraged. Some people have hot streaks and others have cold streaks...i know guys who went years without filling a tag, so just be patient and enjoy the time.

dragon813gt
10-10-2013, 05:56 PM
It's been said, but don't get discouraged. Some people have hot streaks and others have cold streaks...i know guys who went years without filling a tag, so just be patient and enjoy the time.

Tell me about it. I've missed my last five shots dating back to last year. This is for archery. I finally found that the red dot on my crossbow was not holding zero. New scope was installed on Sunday but nothing walked in front of me on Monday and Tuesday and there is no a monsoon here :(

Just wait until you see a deer for the first time and your adrenaline kicks in. Learning to control it is going to help you tremendously. Guys that grew up hunting probably don't remember and it's second nature to them. But I started in my mid twenties so the feeling is still in my memories.

7Acres
10-10-2013, 09:19 PM
Just loaded up 10 carefully selected 158gr boolits on top of 12gr of Accurate #9. I only put 6 of them in the magazine tube because I liked the balance with only 6. Tube will take 10. Any reason I'd want all 10 in there?

starmac
10-10-2013, 09:22 PM
Nope I have never even had a reason to carry ten in the field.

dragon813gt
10-10-2013, 09:22 PM
I hunt w/ three because that's the allowable limit. I've never had to fire more than one.

quilbilly
10-10-2013, 09:32 PM
Wear sneakers instead of boots if you can. They will make you quieter and slower so you will see more.

turmech
10-11-2013, 04:48 PM
Most of the time one will be all you need especially in the woods (IIRC you said your hunting the woods). In that range after the first shot there gone rather you hit them or not. Occasionally even in the woods you may get a second shot. 3-5 would be a more than adequate.

Several years back I shot a nice 8 point. He buckled at the shot and ran around 100 across a field before I lost sight of him in some tall grass. I was fairly sure he fell there. I was about to unload my gun and climb down the tree stand when at the very same spot I loss sight of him was another 8 point buck. Thinking it was the same deer I shot that deer and hit him high paralyzing his hind end. I shot again and put him down. To my surprise I had shot 2 bucks that ended up dieing less than 20 yards apart. The two guys I was hunting with came out of their stands (at around 7:00 am) to where I was hunting thinking a war broke out on opening day.

Speaking of that I am of the mind set if their still standing put another one in them. Bad for the meat recovery, but I would not take chances of loosing a deer. A good friend once shot the biggest deer of his life (according to him). Deer fell at the shot right at dark. He walked over to whit in 20-30 yards the deer and saw it was down. He could not get to the deer without chest waders due to the deer fell on the other side of a deep ditch in the marsh. We met at the trucks put on our waders on and never found the deer. Strange as it sounds I believe he hit him in the horns and knocked him out. I came to this conclusion by the fact he kept telling me how big they were in the scope. Most times if your concentrating on something other than the kill zone you will miss and most likely hit what keeps grabbing your attention. Coincidentally we killed a deer on that farm a few years later with strange left side to his rack and what looked like a tumor at the base of that antler.

Moral of the stories are 1 shot is often enough, but I will load a couple more if the gun will hold them.

randyrat
10-11-2013, 05:26 PM
I hang my cloths outside for a few days before hunting and then put my outer cloths in a plastic bag with baking soda to help soak up any odors the day before and put them on before i go into the woods straight from the bag. Never wash your deer hunting cloths with regular soap like Tide, just don't, it has brighteners that deer could possibly see.

Pass on the deodorant for the day. I sprinkle baking soda under my arms and in my boots also for deodorant
Safety, safety all the time, wear some blaze orange even if you don't have to. Bring some water in your vehicle to wash the gut cavity and let it dry and cool quick, spread the cavity with a stick so it cools quicker. Keep the carcass in the shade before you butcher.

BEFORE you shoot study the area around you and know what is beyond your target area, more safety..I've passed deer up because I thought i seen a flash of blaze orange in that direction, a deer just is not worth the risk of shooting someone.

Next is knife safety- be careful your hands will be bloody and slippery, bad time to cut your self.

Its about sure as the sun will rise, your gonna have to go #2 about the time you get settled in and the sun comes up, bring some TP..Go cross wind and watch for deer, they will check it out.

starmac
10-11-2013, 05:44 PM
Go cross wind and watch for deer, they will check it out.

Would that be considered baiting?? lol

bikerbeans
10-11-2013, 08:09 PM
7acres,

Probably too late for this year but since you didn't grow up hunting I would suggest you take a hunter safety course. Without previous hunting experience a lot of the states require a HS course before you can buy your license. Many of the bigger sporting/gun retailers provide these classes.

Also, you said you replaced the floor of your permanent stand so I am assuming this a wood/nail/screw homemade platform. If it were me I would go to manufactured ladder stand or climber (depending upon the size and type of your trees) because in addition to rot, trees continue to grew and tend to compromise the integrity of the wood platform. The store bought metal stands can be brought in after the season so they aren't left to weather in the elements plus you can move them if you find the deer are traveling in a different spot on your property. Of course you have to lock a climber or ladder stand because the dishonest can move them as well.

Good luck and be safe.

BB

300savage
10-11-2013, 08:46 PM
load six in your gun and put the other four in your pocket. you can never have too many bullets..

pmer
10-11-2013, 09:18 PM
A nice shot for me is when the deer walks by and they are slightly quartering away. Aiming for the off shoulder works very good.

Orange is a good thing for your safety. I wear an orange coat and hat and have had deer at the base of my tree stand.

A short whistle can stop a deer if it is moving, might get a better shot that way. Sometimes you have to be patient and wait for a better shot. And don't shoot at deer at tops of hills ETC.

My season starts in November and I'm shooting the scoped Redhawk more and getting the ML tuned up. Still need to get the 32 Winnie out.

canyon-ghost
10-11-2013, 09:29 PM
7acres, since you are shooting from a stand, I'd say range estimation and gravity figure in. Shooting up or down at an angle doesn't require you to estimate the length of the shot, just the distance from the tree base to the animal.

It's measured from the vertical, not the diagonal. Meaning that it only counts the distance that gravity has to act upon the shot. So, most shots will go high when shot at any kind of angle from purely horizontal.

I'm not sure if that's too complicated to be useful but, typing doesn't let me talk with my hands, lol.

Good Luck,
Ron

starmac
10-11-2013, 11:38 PM
Have we talked you out of hunting yet.lol

GaryN
10-12-2013, 01:21 AM
Um, let's see. Words of wisdom for a new hunter. Don't eat no yellow snow. Don't eat smart pills (self explanatory) that the deer leave behind. Have fun!!! If it were me I would cover up that stainless barrel. I have seen guys walking around with them and they show up big time.

7Acres
10-12-2013, 05:28 PM
I've got a rope rigged as of yesterday. I lift the gun up with the muzzle pointed down. Today I added a capped milk jug to raise, pee, and lower if need be. Lots of great advice guys. I'm soaking it all up!

turmech
10-12-2013, 07:59 PM
I never worried about my pee. Living in the populated north east I figure if deer freaked out every time they smelled human urine they would die young of heart failure. One of my best stands is 250 yards from by back door. I would say that those deer are use to the smell of humans. I have had to zip up in a hurry on more than one occasion to pick up the gun. I guess if your hunting somewhere fairly untouched by man the smell of human urine may be more alarming. To be honest I am not even sure they can tell human urine from some other animal urine because it sure does not seem to bother them around here anyway.

Blammer
10-12-2013, 08:02 PM
take the whole stinkin box of 50 with you, you may need it. :)

seriously, if you don't all the better but when you need ammo to down a wounded animal and it's way back in the truck, you wish you had it and then you'll wish, "dang! why didn't I get the version with the bayonette lug an the bayonette! I could use that now!" :)

Boyscout
10-12-2013, 08:50 PM
Stick with the vest. Your head will be moving, even if slowly, as you wait and watch. Rifled slugs should shoot well out to 75 yards as long as you have decent sights. Do not use sabots; they will not stabilize in a smoothbore.

No greasy food, the last thing you want to do is stink up your area. Deer do not seem to mind urine though. Carry at least a quart of water and drink it. If you have to drag any distance, you will appreciate it. My brother once had some does come in and lick where he had relieved himself an hour earlier.

DO NOT TROPHY HUNT YOUR FIRST YEAR. IT ADDS TOO MUCH STRESS FOR MOST HUNTERS AND ESPECIALLY NEW HUNTERS. IF YOU CAN SHOOT A DOE, DO IT. YOU CAN'T EAT ANTLERS! 42 deer later I still get as excited about taking does as I do bucks. Meat with memories we call it at dinner.

MtGun44
10-12-2013, 10:14 PM
Lots of valuable "process" info here.

Keep in mind that I plan on spending a morning in the woods enjoying the quiet, the fresh air, the birds and
squirrels, and maybe a few deer wandering by - and maybe one that I want to and am in a position
to shoot. If the deer don't come by, I still had a wonderful morning, so I'll have a 90%
perfect day.

This is why they call it "hunting" not "shooting".

Bill

btroj
10-12-2013, 10:18 PM
Success is not measured by the animal taken, if one is taken.

Hunting should be about the experience, it is much more than shooting an animal.

Like Bill said, it is hunting, not shooting.

Relax, have fun, and bask in the moment.