PDA

View Full Version : PP a Mosin Nagant .315

kungfustyle
10-09-2013, 01:21 PM
Hello,
I've been reading this forum about paper patching and thinking about giving it a try. I have a Mosin Nagant that slugs at .314. So I need to cast/size to .315....No one makes a die this size and if I paper patch I've seen that you should run it through a size die to finish....why do that if I had a size die that worked????
I guess my question is do you need to size it after you pp the boolit?
and I've read that the paper patch adds .01 to the boolit...does that mean that I need to start with a bullet that is .304 or so, who makes that one?
I really want to give this a try.... where do I start? Thanks for your help.

bigted
10-09-2013, 06:49 PM
welcome to the forum. I do not patch for the Mosin but patchin is patchin and it goes sumptin like dis for my personal success.

1- I drive a slug of pure lead thru the barrel so I know the exact size of my barrel rifling.
2- then I take a case that has been fired in the chamber in question and after belling the mouth slightly I measure the case neck.
3- now with these measurements I take the important one which is the case neck size which gives a narrow easy way to find out what the chamber looks like at the throat area.
4- take a boolit that is as close to or over by .001 to .002 of bore diameter ... the smaller measurement of the barrel slug ... and find a paper that will fill the case ... after rolling 2 wet wraps and allowing to completely dry ... without sizing the case first ... and patch to over the o-give enough that the fired boolit will not shuck the patch upon firing.
5- before loading this patched boolit I take some case sizing wax from Redding and smear it on the sides of the boolits.
6- I also take a full case load meaning that I always load cornmeal ahead of my powder charge to fill to the boolit base with the fill and this allows the boolit to set upon the c/m and thusly it helps protect the boolit base from the fire and pressure.
7- load your boolits out far enough that the paper is just about .005 off the rifling so it does not have a great jump in free air before it contacts the rifling.

as to the sizing the patched boolit after wrapping I don't.

as to the sizing of any boolit to your desired size ... a feller here named 'Buckshot' makes spiffy push thru dies along the lines of the Lee push thru dies and... having a few of his werks ... I can emphatically recommend him for such. he can make em for any size you can imagine so contact him for your preferred size and at around 30 dollars each they are a wonderfull addition for the experimenting with different sizes.

as to boolit type and where to find em ... any boolit of grease groove design ... will do the task ... I shove oversize boolits thru my Buckshot dies to wind up with a grooved boolit of the correct size to patch and upon drying the paper ... they shrink around the grooves and make shucking a patch an unlikely proposition.

as for where to start? well just jump in and start. there is no place any better then the next to start at. and if you wait for the best opportunity then you will never start. you can buy boolits from baco to size down and the paper from baco as well and the die from Buckshot and the time from yourself. ... JUMP IN !!!

docone31
10-09-2013, 07:35 PM
I am guessing that if you first size to .309, then wrap twice around, and let sit untill dry, You will have .317. At least I did for my Enfield.
I am pretty sure your Mosin will like .317. My Enfield takes the same jacketeds the Mosin does.
You can also lap out a die to .315, or .316, but I suspect you will find .317 works well. Especially after you have fired about 20rds. Makes the barrel shiney.

kungfustyle
10-09-2013, 10:24 PM
Thank you for the input looking forward to trying it out. As usual with this forum...Class act. Again thanks, Jeff

Nobade
10-10-2013, 10:07 AM
The chamber neck on most Mosin rifles is pretty tight, and usually won't admit a boolit bigger than about .315". This is a very good thing - whatever size a case fired in your rifle will take is what size you want to shoot for. In my case, I sized the core to .304" and patched it with 15# green bar paper for a final size of .315" which was a nice snug slip fit in the case. So I never had to touch the cases with dies. Just decap, recap, and load again. Use the proper powder charge or combination of powder and filler to set the seating depth so the patch engages the rifling when the bolt is closed and you are good to go. I didn't do a final size on the patch, just use the right paper to give you the size you want. But if you needed a .315" boolit, Lee makes a .314" push through sizer that after springback will give you one that size.

-Nobade