PDA

View Full Version : Leverguns, cast bullets and buffalo

JFE
10-08-2013, 09:00 PM
Last month I returned from a trip to a remote part of the Northern Territory and hunted on Hunt Australia’s concession in Arnhem Land. The camp was great - it really was a well thought out remote bush camp. The rifle I took with me was a Browning Model 71 that I had converted to 45/90. The bullets I chose to use were RCBS 500 gr FNGC, cast from an alloy with a hardness of approx 15 BHN. The rifle in this configuration was only completed a few months earlier and I was keen to use it on something substantial and in Oz they don’t get any bigger than buffalo in NT.

We had followed this particular old bull for a few hundred meters and luckily there was an immature bull quartering towards him that diverted his attention away from us. The old bull was ambling along - he was alert but oblivious to our presence. However he was still moving along quite briskly and changed direction often as he occasionally stopped to feed. His constant movement made shot placement tricky. More importantly, he was heading for dense cover. I would have liked to have closed the gap further, but from where we were was open bush, the air was still and the ground was like corn flakes. I decided it was now or never and, with the bull still moving, from a distance of 70mtrs I sent a 45 cal 500 gr FNGC towards the front end of the old bull.

The hit was audible but the bull didn’t seem to feel it and I was wondering whether I had hit it at all. The bull immediately swivelled around looking for where the noise had come from. Once it turned around I could see blood on the offside shoulder from the exit wound. The first shot had gone through both lungs and was a complete pass through.

We were in a burn with essentially no cover, apart from what little cover was offered by the relatively narrow trees, in this sparsely wooded area. Although hit, clearly he still had a lot of fight left in him and wanted to deal with whatever caused all his pain and suffering. I kept cranking out 45/90 shells as quick as I could operate that lever. When the rifle was empty the bull faltered, then started to wobble and finally started to collapse. With my rifle now empty I dropped a loaded shell on to the carrier and closed the action. I ran towards the bull, quickly thumbing additional cartridges through the loading gate as I ran and approached the animal from behind. I administered another 2 shots at close range, mindful that most accidents occurred when supposedly dead buffalo spring back to life. However he never recovered and expired fairly quickly. The 2 additional shots weren’t necessary but were cheap insurance.

These animals have heavy bone structures, dense muscle and their hide thickness has to be seen to be appreciated. They can absorb a lot of lead, particularly if the first shot is not well placed and still can, even when it is well placed.

The cast bullets performed reasonably well. You can see a photo of a recovered cast bullet and it shows that it held together and expanded well. Of note, this particular bullet didn’t encounter any heavy bone – it travelled about 30 inches through hide, muscle and paunch. A picture below shows just how thick the hide can be on a mature bull.

If I were to do this again I would use the same alloy for the first shot but for subsequent shots I would use a harder alloy. Once the shooting starts I think non-expanding bullets are called for to maximise penetration as you need to do the best you can with whatever shot is presented.

For me it was nice to take a battle scarred old bull like that using an old style gun with open sights in an old black powder cartridge and bullets I cast myself. No doubt anyone trying to do it this way is handicapping themselves and they have to accept that and work within those limitations, but that’s hunting to me. I enjoyed this hunt and all that went into it and it was a good way to baptize the 45/90.

I hope you enjoyed the story and pics.

dk17hmr
10-08-2013, 09:09 PM
Very nice.....keep shooting until they don't have any fight left in them, that is exactly what I try to do, although I haven't had the chance to hunt anything near as dangerous yet.

missionary5155
10-08-2013, 09:41 PM
Greetings JFE from the other side of the Big Blue.
Congradulations ! Thank you for writting about this fine hunt. Not much better than to have a lever gun loaded with your ammo. That is one fine looking Buff you have. Very enjoyable story !
Mike in Peru

Idaho Mule
10-08-2013, 09:59 PM
JFE, congrats on the hunt!!! and thank you for all the details. That shows some impressive performance from your cast loads from your rifle. I am glad the hunt went so well for you. I bet that buff could have been mighty tough to deal with if your first shot wouldn't have caused the damage that it did. Again, congrats on a great hunt and thanks for the write-up and pics. JW

Grendel99
10-09-2013, 01:42 AM
Nice write up and pics. That's a beautifully expanded bullet too! How do water buffalo taste?

JFE
10-09-2013, 04:10 AM
Thanks for the comments.

Taste wise its kind of like beef. I did let some back straps set in the fridge for about 10 days, then cut them thinly, applied a dry rub and bbq'ed them lightly. It was pretty reasonable then but still a bit chewy.

The local aboriginals won't touch old buffalo and really prefer scrub bulls (wild cattle) over buffalo.

waksupi
10-09-2013, 11:25 AM
Very good!

Rattlesnake Charlie
10-09-2013, 11:37 AM
Congratulations JFE! Fine rifle, fine ammo, fine buffalo, and mighty fine write-up.

Piedmont
10-09-2013, 12:41 PM
JFE, How fast were you pushing those 500 grainers?

JFE
10-09-2013, 04:25 PM
JFE, How fast were you pushing those 500 grainers?

That bullet takes up a lot of space as you can see in one of the photos. I haven't put the loads across a chrono, but according to Quickload they're doing around 1750 fps. I was conservative and set max pressure at 40K psi even though these rifles can be pushed to higher levels. Another 5 or 10k psi only adds 50-100 fps and not worthwhile chasing in my view.

CPL Lou
10-09-2013, 05:12 PM
Thanks for sharing your hunt with us!

CPL Lou

Fisher
10-09-2013, 05:32 PM
Congrats JFE, what do your buffalo weigh when dressed?

JFE
10-09-2013, 05:44 PM
Congrats JFE, what do your buffalo weigh when dressed?

I'm no expert but guys who have hunted both reckon that they are about 20% heavier than Cape Buffalo.

Idaho Mule
10-09-2013, 10:30 PM
JFE, we have the same problem with BIG bull elk and moose. The racks are sure cool looking, but the meat is about as tough as your boot-heel. JW

TXGunNut
10-09-2013, 10:58 PM
Great hunt and a story well told! Nicely done, thanks for sharing it with us.

DanWalker
10-09-2013, 11:34 PM
NICELY done sir!

luvtn
10-10-2013, 05:49 PM
With meat that is potentially tough, it is time for a crock pot. Nice hunt. Made all the more satisfying by working up rifle and load. Thank you for sharing with us.
luvtn

Grendel99
10-10-2013, 06:50 PM
Cook it low and slow or beat the **** out of it with a meat mallet, or both :) That rifle, load, and bullet alloy combo looks like the perfect Elk medicine.

Gibbs44
10-10-2013, 08:33 PM
Great shooting, and great story. Too bad you didn't recover a boolit that had smashed a shoulder, that would have been interesting to see how it held up.

You could always get a meat cuber for the next one you have a chance to take.

Thanks for sharing.

NLS1
10-10-2013, 09:00 PM
Great write up and fine animal! Sure love a good lever gun story, thanks for sharing.

Dan

sharpsguy
10-10-2013, 09:17 PM
I like it! Well done and congratulations.

Djones
10-11-2013, 04:13 PM
Great stories guys! Thanks for sharing. I'm excited to get a chance at an elk someday with my 1895 cowboy chambered in 45-70.

David

Duckiller
10-11-2013, 04:33 PM
Congratulations ao a sucessful hunt. However as the owner of a Winchester Model 71 with a three digit serial number I must critize converting even a copy of a 71 to a different calber. A 250gr .348 bullet wil kill lions, tigers and bears and probably buffalo too. My biggest problem with your conversion is that you are one less person buying .348 ammo and maybe that much closer to it going off the market and being declared obsolete.

JFE
10-11-2013, 06:13 PM
Thanks for your comments and glad you enjoyed the story.

I even tried cooking some buffalo meat in a pressure cooker and it was still chewy even though it fell apart. It is certainly the toughest meat I have dealt with. The old joke about cooking the meat along with a stone is not far from the truth here. Perhaps really really slow cooking might work.

Actually I thought about the 450 Alaskan when I was deciding on the caliber, but the 45/90 was a lot more practical. I still think about a 45 wildcat on a full length 50/110 case....maybe one day.

Elk are on my bucket list too. Hopefully one of these days.

I still have a 348 and its a nice calibre but I doubt it would be enough calibre for buffalo, unless you really pick your shots. Even with a 375 H&H most users take 5-6 shots to put down an animal. One guy shot a buffalo in the neck with a 300 gr Nosler out of a 375 H&H and it stopped fully expanded after 9" of penetration. The bullet had hit no bone and the guide thought that the bull would have probably recovered and survived had he not finished it with his 458. On another bull the client used a 416 caliber and had taken a frontal head shot which dropped the animal. When it was being caped out the guide had found a previous wound that had healed over and a 375 cal bullet. It had expanded but failed to put down the animal !

Browningshooter
10-17-2013, 08:21 PM
Congrats! Nice write up and thanks for sharing!

taco650
10-17-2013, 09:44 PM
Nice hunt story. That set of horns will make an impressive hat rack for the man cave.

What powder did you use in your loads?

JFE
10-20-2013, 05:40 AM
What powder did you use in your loads?

Thanks for the comments and glad you liked the story.

The powder I used was Win 748.

eljefeoz
10-20-2013, 08:04 AM
Hi JFE, great pics and write up. Good the 748 and the CB worked out for the buff.
Best
El Jefe

yooper
01-18-2014, 12:06 PM
I don't know how I missed this previously. It's a GREAT story. It sounds like both the critter and its meat are pretty tough.:) And like another reader commented, those horns are VERY impressive and would make for lots of great conversation.
yooper

Pilgrim
01-18-2014, 03:48 PM
I've pondered converting a model 71 to .400 Alaskan ( .400-.348 Improved). I haven't found a write up on the cartridge or any loading data, but it seems to me that it would duplicate the old 450/400 Nitro Express in a lever action of reasonable weight. It would also have the ability to use .41 Magnum or .41 Special pistol cartridges for small game using an insert. Until I find some info on the cartridge, I'll hold off on buying a Model 71 for the conversion. There is a real shortage of elephant, and buffalo of any flavor in my garden, so there doesn't appear to be a rush on the project, but it pays to be prepared!! FWIW - Pilgrim

white eagle
01-18-2014, 05:46 PM
wow what an adventure
thats livin'thanks for sharing

JFE
01-18-2014, 07:16 PM
Glad you liked the story.

Pilgrim - the 450/400 was produced in several versions and would think that the 450/400 with the 2 3/8" case, if loaded to pressures appropriate for a modern model 71 or 1886, would make for an interesting conversion.

Pilgrim
01-19-2014, 12:21 AM
The .348 case blown out should give enuf powder room to equal the 400 gr - 2100 fps ballistics of the 450/400 - 3" or the 450/400 - 3 1/4" round. If I remember correctly the paper ballistics were 2125 fps +/- 25 between the two. The shorter case ( 2 3/8") gave a fair bit lower velocity. It was like the short .375 as compared to the H&H rounds IIRC. The ability of the Model 71 to handle upwards of 50k cup, plus our better powders more than makes up for the shorter case. Anyway, I'll keep looking for the info. I would bet that somebody has made that conversion. The 450 Alaskan reputation for recoil would lend some credence to a .40 cal vs the 45 cal. I had a Model 71 way back when and remember getting black and blue cheeks from as few as 15 - 20 rounds due to that stock comb and stock drop. I suspect magnaporting to reduce muzzle flip would help tremendously in that regard. I have absolutely no use or application for that kind of power, but....

JFE
01-19-2014, 12:54 AM
Incidentally the base diameter of the various 450/400 versions is the same as the 348 and its parent, the 50/110. The main difference being the rim diameter and thickness. Using a 50/110 as the base case to form a 450/400 2 3/8" case would give you plenty of powder capacity and readily available, strong brass (Starline). Forget the original loadings as you could handload the cartridge in a strong levergun to easily provide 4000 ft lbs. As you are probably aware you can use various FN 405 Win, 450/400 and 41 mag bullets and it would be quite a versatile cartridge.

The main issue with felt recoil in 71's is the poor stock design. It actually accentuates the recoil rather than dissipate it.

I have some info somewhere on the 40 Alaskan and Ackley version and if I can find the data I'll drop you a PM.

Pilgrim
01-19-2014, 12:10 PM
JFE - Thanks

Super Sneaky Steve
01-19-2014, 01:30 PM
This story makes me want to take the scope off my levergun. Thanks for sharing.

Silvercreek Farmer
01-19-2014, 09:07 PM
Awesome hunt! Looks to me like your boolits performed perfectly! All that chewy meat should make some good jerky, the chewier the better in my book.

My sister and brother in law are living in Melbourne and I hope to get down that way in 4 years or so. Probably won't get to hunt buffalo, but will probably blast a few bunnies while I am down that way.

JFE
01-20-2014, 07:30 AM
If you like chewy you will love buffalo meat.

If you do come to visit Melbourne you may not want to leave ! Just don't visit in summer in case you get a heat wave like we had last week - 4 days of 105-110F temperatures. It was very uncomfortable.

Prodigal Son
01-21-2014, 10:34 AM
Great story and good job shooting too. Sounds like a story right out of the 1800's all the right high lights!

Fenring
01-24-2014, 10:00 PM
Awesome results mate!

MT Chambers
01-27-2014, 06:51 PM
I use (and market) a 555grain GC bullet, in my '95 Cowboy Marlin 45/70, at around 1500fps they expand on moose but offer complete penetration and have not found the bullet in any game animal.

JFE
01-28-2014, 01:35 PM
Thanks Fen.

MT Chambers - Moose are a large animal for sure. Have you managed to shoot any thick skinned game with those bullets ?