PDA

View Full Version : Unanswered 6.5x55 questions

nitrohuck
10-08-2013, 08:45 PM
So most everyone here is well aware of the plethora of information (and arguments) surrounding the 6.5x55 cartridge on this website.

I have read and read, and plan on doing most of my load development using Unique and Red Dot, with the possibility of using 4198 or 4895 powders in the future.

The rifle I am using is an FSR M96, 29" BBL

Here are my questions:

1) Who here has experience with the NOE 269-145FN? There is tons of talk regarding the Cruise Missile, Lyman 466673 and others, but I have seen literally zero discussion surrounding the NOE mold... Now the NOE Mold for my K31 turned out to be a major winner, and I am wondering if I could expect the same luck from their one and only 6.5mm mold?

2) Is there any way to avoid having to buy a whole new seating die? My understanding is that the dies must be honed out to accept cast bullets sized @ .266" ? I do not trust myself to do this modification, what are the best methods for getting this achieved? This is the part that seems like the biggest PITA to me,

3) Who here has experience with Unique loads at 200yrds? I am looking for something that will hold the SR ten ring @ 200yrds for CMP events

I know this caliber has been beaten to death on this website, and due to that reason, I read as much as I can before I post up questions regarding the 6.5x55. That said, I am about to begin hoarding the necessary equipment to reload for the m96 and very much appreciate any clarification I can get.

zomby woof
10-08-2013, 08:55 PM
1. I have the 269145. It works very well. I have the K31 mold too. It's a winner.
2. I'm using the LEE seating die with no problems.
3. Hate Unique. I use IMR4198 with great results.

The M96 works great for CMP matches.

PS Paul
10-08-2013, 09:04 PM
Calling Larry Gibson!! Where are you?

Use a 7mm seating die. Then take a look at this Castpics article: http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/ByFireArm/default.html

nitrohuck
10-08-2013, 09:17 PM
Calling Larry Gibson!! Where are you?

Use a 7mm seating die. Then take a look at this Castpics article: http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/ByFireArm/default.html

Ahh a 7mm seating die, sounds like a good alternative as long as there isn't too much play? With the boolits often being seated so incredibly far out on 6.5 Swede loads one would think concentricity/runout could be affected for the worse?

Currently reading Larry's article, I do not think I will end up spending as much time on case prep as he recommends given that I have in my possession 150pcs of Norma brass, no '06 case reforming for me at the moment. The article is really helpful thus far though, thanks Larry!

Larry Gibson
10-08-2013, 09:34 PM
Ahh a 7mm seating die, sounds like a good alternative as long as there isn't too much play? With the boolits often being seated so incredibly far out on 6.5 Swede loads one would think concentricity/runout could be affected for the worse?

I guess some might say I have a bit of experience with the 6.5 Swede. A couple others would probably say I don't have enough.......let's let that dog lay....

I have the NOE Mould but most of my minimal load development with it so far has been with slow burning powders and higher velocities. I do use the Lyman 266455 or the 129 gr Kurtz GB bullet. Both shoot into 1.5 moa at 100 yards with 10 shot groups over 9 gr Unique at 1425 fps or over 6 gr Bullseye at 1155 fps. I use these in well fire formed cases with the flash holes drilled with a #28 drill. That keeps the case shoulder from setting back from the primer explosion and creating case headspace problems. It also allows the primer flash to fill the case quicker for more uniform ignition of the small powder charges (no filler used). I have not shot these at 200 yards but have plinked at the 200 yard berm with excellent and surprising accuracy. Wind can be a problem with these low end loads though.

I use a standard 7x57 Lee seater to seat most of my 6.5 Swede cast bullets. Most of mine are sized at .268 with noses at .266. This fits the tapered throat of my 6.5 chambers (4 Swede rifles). Concentricity is not a problem as the necks are sized with a bushing NS die giving .002 neck tension and the long seated bullets fit tightly in the throat which keeps them concentric with the bore.

Larry Gibson

nitrohuck
10-08-2013, 09:42 PM
I have simply been neck sizing with the Lee Collet NS die for my jacketed 6.5 rounds, with sub-moa results in that arena,

When it comes to cast, it sounds like I am going to need to perhaps change up that routine to allow for the larger sized boolits, no? Do you recommend I get a bushing NS die or do you think I can work with the Lee Collet NS die?

EDIT: Nvm I believe Larry's article has more or less answered this question for me, it seems the Lee Collet might work for me given that I also use my VLD case mouth chamfer tool,