PDA

View Full Version : New Push Through Lubrisizer

gregg
08-23-2005, 02:47 AM
http://www.meachamrifles.com/
What youall think??????????????????????????

Char-Gar
08-23-2005, 07:42 AM
Looks like a straight forward design that should work OK. My interest would all depend on the quality of workmanship and the price. I am already set up to nose first size and lube, but it requires two seperate operations. Having more time than money, this gizmo would have to offer some significant advantage over the way I do it now. I would be interested in getting some user reports when available.

imashooter2
08-23-2005, 08:03 AM
How does it keep from getting lube all over the bullet nose?

Willbird
08-23-2005, 09:08 AM
I'm going to guess that one applies pressure with the handwheel, which by a very fine thread makes adequate pressure without requiring high torque, and then one backs it off a bit before pushing in a new bullet.

Bill

StarMetal
08-23-2005, 10:22 AM
I will have to agree with Willbird. As far as the quality Charger, well shoot you can see that in the picture. Take a look at the one ring with the little lube holes in it, that's pretty good machine work. The thing looks very well made to me. This is something like I talked via phone to Buckshot about, but we couldn't come up with something that was as simple as this. They beat us too it. To me, though, it looks slow, yes much faster then the method Charger does his bullets, but alot slower then the Lyman/RCBS setups. Another thing I can't envision it sizing a 22 cal bullet and then a 45 cal??? That is the ram, he doesn't say anything about changing rams out per caliber, just the sizing rings. Let's say the ram is small enough for 22 cal and that it is used for all. Well would it indent a bigger cal bullet, especially when more force is required to push it through? What's to say the ram, if it is small enough for 22 cal isn't centered on the base when you start pushing the bullet? After all the window in that tool has to be big enough for 22 cal up to say 45 cal. If the ram isn't small enough to push a 22 cal all the way through, then how does a bigger ram do it? Or...does it NOT push the bullet all the way through and the next bullet behind it do that??? Lots of questions. If it does rely on the next bullet to push the one in front of it through, how do you get the last bullet out?

Joe

Char-Gar
08-23-2005, 11:51 AM
I nose first size and seat gas checks (anealed) in a Lyman/RCBS sizing die held in the gizmo in my RCBS A2 press. I then take the die out, put in my Lyman 450 and lube in the same die. Requires no pressure, hence no distortion and works like a champ..just a mite slow.

floodgate
08-23-2005, 12:10 PM
This is based on the old hand lube pump/sizers made by Harry Pope and other Schuetzeners around 1890-1900. Like the Stars, the lube section is matched to the grease grooves for a specific bullet, and the nose extends on out the side of the tool. Meacham has a top reputation; he was one of the first to make reproduction Hi-Walls, and is still one of the best. floodgate

Buckshot
08-27-2005, 06:46 AM
...........That's a neat setup. The nosefirst lube-sizer we had discussed previously (on AIMOO I think) was to utilize the existing and common RCBS and Lyman type dies, rather then users being required to spend a couple hundred bucks on new dies.

The working drawings I have on hand (2 versions) require a press T slot pushrod, like Lee for each diameter again like Lee of any other push through die. A boolit is pushed up into the die while a valve is opened to flow lube to the lube grooves while the slug is present.

The 2 versions deal with differences in pressurizing the lube for delivery to the slug. The ideal would be the ability to operate it as quickly as you can set a slug on the pushrod and lower the handle for each one. Subsequent slugs pushing the prevous ones up and out into a reservoir.

Alas and alack :D varous and sundry other life and project issues have put such a development on the back burner for the foreseeable future. S0 far as I'm concerned anyway!

..............BUckshot

Willbird
08-27-2005, 07:32 AM
Also Buckshot I think the system should have a SLIGHT reverse flow to the lube after the grooves are filled, like .005-.010 movement on say a 1/4" piston, this I would think would prevent lube from getting smeared on the bullet before you hit it with the pressure.

Bill

StarMetal
08-27-2005, 12:05 PM
I've wrote the company with lots of questions about their lubrisizer. I of course asked the price. So far no answer. One question was how do you get one ram to work with all caliber bullets, that is, 22 cal, then switch to sizing 45 cal? We all know that Lee push throughs have a ram that pretty closely matchs the size of the bullet, just a few thousandths smaller. Even with that setup sometimes gaschecks don't come out good. So I asked the company to explain that. I also asked them to explain what ejects the bullet from the tool. If you look at the picture the ram doesn't look long enough. So does that mean the next bullet pushes the one in front of it out? Back to the Lee push through again, we know that the sizing area of it is very short in lenght. The next bullet through is merely pushing the loose bullet ahead of it out the die. Now in this new tool if there bullet that just got sized is still under tension from the sizing ring the next one pushing it out may get the nose flatten or some type of damage. We'll see if they answer my email. If not, I'm persistant, I'll call them. I'm seriously thinks about making one of these as I've been studying the photo alot and taking measurements. Buckshot is right, I've talked to him one time about this and we did discussed it on the old forum. Another thing too the company says it uses either hollow sticks or bulk lube. Well that made me wonder how that giant screw compresses the lube to make pressure if there is no threaded shaft down through the lube reservoir. Lots of questions as you see.

Joe

Bret4207
08-30-2005, 08:06 AM
As Floodgate pointed out this setup is very similar to the old Pope style lube pumps. These were meant more for lubing than sizing as Pope believed in shooting boolits as cast, diameter-wise. The neat thing with these is you can lube a tapered design. I assume the boolit goes in one end, is lubed and then ejected out the way it went in. Neat units, but if Meacham is making them I'll hazard a guess and say it'll be at least $150.00 for the pump and $40.00 per die.

Bret4207
08-30-2005, 08:08 AM
Went and looked at the picture again and now think it mounts in a press and works like a Lee. Shoulda looked again first I guess. I'll bet I'm not far off on the price.

beagle
08-30-2005, 09:51 AM
floodgate...Herters made a copy for a while of the old Pope lube pump. We had one for a while and it worked but not something you'd choose for a lot of bullets.

Orygun Mark's nose first rig which Charles is using works best for me although it takes a seperate operation. I've had no problems since using it./beagle

This is based on the old hand lube pump/sizers made by Harry Pope and other Schuetzeners around 1890-1900. Like the Stars, the lube section is matched to the grease grooves for a specific bullet, and the nose extends on out the side of the tool. Meacham has a top reputation; he was one of the first to make reproduction Hi-Walls, and is still one of the best. floodgate

StarMetal
08-30-2005, 10:11 AM
Okay fellows, Steve answered my email and here is what he said:

Joe,
When it becomes available, the lubrisizer will be in 45, 40 or 38 cal and a different body and punch will be needed for each caliber as well as appropriate sizing rings.
Prices have not been set. we are running fulltime to keep up with die orders and haven't gotten parts programs for all of the lubrisizer.

I'll put your e-mail address on our mailing list and notify you when it is ready.

Steve Meacham

So...I agree with who it was that said it's not a sizer for doing alot of bullets fast and that I was right about the size of the ram not being suitable for all caliber sizes.

Joe

boogerred
08-30-2005, 11:31 PM
id read something about meacham rifles yrs ago and i thought they made 45-50 cal BP rifles and also some specialty tools for those long range BP silhoette shooters. i think we all agree thats not a tool for a 9mm or 45 acp shooter. good looking piece of steel tho.

MaxJon
02-07-2011, 07:46 PM
Got me thinkin now about my homemade one! Gotta like that nose first!!
:cbpour::cbpour::cbpour:

stubshaft
02-07-2011, 09:36 PM
Did he give you any idea of the price?

GrizzLeeBear
02-07-2011, 10:52 PM
Wow, you do realize this thread died over 5 years ago, right?

JIMinPHX
02-08-2011, 01:37 PM
There have been a few others.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=65949

Post #8 on this thread shows my version.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=86638

scrapcan
02-08-2011, 02:08 PM
Jim,

Did you get further in the build of your prototypes?

It would be interesting to try to fab that thing up with a lee bullet feeder to see if it could be done.

I would like to see you make a few and offer it here. I would have to try to sell/trad/beg/borrow/etc... the money to buy one.

JIMinPHX
02-08-2011, 07:23 PM
That project is on the back burner. I don't think that I can compete with the price of a Star & still give enough added benefits to make my rig worth building. Some day when I have some time on my hands, I may fool with it some more, but I don't expect that to be any time soon.

brad925
02-08-2011, 11:20 PM
$69.99 for the die body with lock ring and punch. And $62.49 for the lube pump assembly. $14.00 for the two wrenches and $19.49 for each sizer die.

HARRYMPOPE
02-08-2011, 11:24 PM
Meacham has a top reputation; he was one of the first to make reproduction Hi-Walls, and is still one of the best. floodgate

I have two of his Pope re-de cappers and have used them for over 15 years.Top quality.

h