PDA

View Full Version : Success and no so success.

Adam10mm
11-02-2007, 02:57 PM
Did a 2.5:2 WW to lino melt today. Finally got to melt again. Been so long. First range trip since late April will be on Sunday.

Wanted mainly to try my new 10mm mold I posted samples of a few weeks ago; the 230gr SWC. Look great. No rejects so far. I double check them when I lube.

Had temp between 650-675 for the most part, dropped down to 600 towards the end. Tried to sneak some Lee C459-500-FN in there. Did ok. Bugger of a time with temp on those big ones. Handgun I do very well in. One or two casts and I'm dropping great boolits.

The monsters for the 45/70 were not so good. I had too much trouble with my 405-FN from Lee I just gave up and sold it. First they were wrinkled. I know, mold/melt too cool; mold in this instance. So for the next dozen I drop some, go for the next ones and while I'm waiting for those to form in the mold, I drop the bad ones from the previous drop back into the pot. I'm just warming the mold at this point. Melt in the mold, set it atop the melter to heat up quicker, same thing. I need to get a hot plate.

Had a few good ones. Most were wrinkled, some were frosty. Good enough for shooting though. Perhaps 14 decent ones that should hold up well to shooting. I just can't seem to get it right with these 45/70 boolits. I know 500gr are a lot to ask for but I'd think it would be easier than this. Geez.

The 10mm dropped at .4005 to .401 at 217-220gr (mold is .401/225gr nominal). With WW they drop at 230gr.

The 45/70 dropped at .458-.459 ranging from 468-471gr, IIRC the gas check is about 8.1-8.3gr so about 476-479gr. Not too shabby, probably 480-490gr with lube and check.

Of course I'll shut up now and post pics:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/freakshow10mm/Boolit%20Casting/DSC02753.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/freakshow10mm/Boolit%20Casting/DSC02750.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/freakshow10mm/Boolit%20Casting/DSC02749.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/freakshow10mm/Boolit%20Casting/DSC02752.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/freakshow10mm/Boolit%20Casting/DSC02751.jpg

Bret4207
11-02-2007, 03:13 PM
Gotta let that 45/70 mould get hotter. Frosty is ok, good in fact. See how much they are filled out than the shiny ones? Thats the important part. Also, on the ripped out bases- Are you using a ladle or bottom pour? If BP add a big sprue puddle and if ladle hold the spout in contact with the mould longer. If it gets so it's taking forever to cool the sprue use Bruces damp cloth method. Works like a charm for me.

Adam10mm
11-02-2007, 03:56 PM
Using the Lee 20# bottom pour. The ripped out bases I'd like to clean up a bit but not critical to me as this is a GC mold.

The one on the bottom pic, third from the right is absolutely perfect. The rest aren't.

I fill the cavities with one solid lift on the handle. I fill the first and keep the spout open as I move to the second cavity. The sprue is one continuous chunk and is pretty thick (IMO) on top. I like a big sprue.

I'll have to search and learn about the damp towel. I gotta run off to work now.

Thanks for the tips and encouragement.

Bob Jones
11-02-2007, 05:45 PM
One other idea. I've found with bigger boolits that the RATE of pour is critical to getting a good cast. My Lee bottom pour gradually gets crudded up and I take a bent paper clip and stick it up from the bottom of the spout to clean it out, which often ends up greatly increasing the rate of pour. Might check that out as well.

dubber123
11-02-2007, 06:20 PM
One other idea. I've found with bigger boolits that the RATE of pour is critical to getting a good cast. My Lee bottom pour gradually gets crudded up and I take a bent paper clip and stick it up from the bottom of the spout to clean it out, which often ends up greatly increasing the rate of pour. Might check that out as well.

Absolutely correct. I have found the very same thing, and it varies from mould to mould. I think with too slow of a pour, the big bullets are starting to solidify as you are pouring. I also run my Lyman Mag 20 on full tilt all the time. I have cast 540 grain 45-70's with great results. I'd fiddle with higher temps, and a faster pour. Let us know how you make out.

ktw
11-02-2007, 09:15 PM
I've run into some molds that need to be smoked and some that absolutely do not. If you get it wrong, they can tend to look something like your 45/70 bullets. Try it both ways.

I also get better results (more consistent fill-out) with some of my 45 molds by placing the sprue plate in contact with the spout on the bottom pour pot.

-ktw

Adam10mm
11-02-2007, 09:23 PM
The 45/70 mold isn't smoked. The 10mm one is by the previous owner, but he never got to cast from it. I'll have to try it.

leftiye
11-02-2007, 11:08 PM
Not to sound like a broken record, but I've never had trouble with 45 cal and 58 cal booits (even hollow bases). I think the reason is that I keep the mold on a hotplate (small one = mold heater made from small lee pot & covered) between casts while I inspect & clean up sprues etc. Can make mold hotter or cooler by turning temp up or down. Very few molds are at the correct heat in a method like this without extra heat.

Adam10mm
11-02-2007, 11:27 PM
Not to sound like a broken record, but I've never had trouble with 45 cal...booits (even hollow bases).
I'm pretty sure bragging is against the rules here.:mrgreen:

I have the same post over on Glocktalk Reloading. Seems I need to increase the temp by 100degrees. I was running at 600-650 and I should be at 700ish.