PDA

View Full Version : Air pressure on a lynam 450?

prs
10-07-2013, 09:48 PM
I wonder about this just about every time I add a hollow stick of lube. Put the new stick in, crankit down firm and lube MANY boolits fully without forther pressure screw turns. The hollow sticks are smaller than the bore and the hollow is larger than the center threaded rod, thus the source of trapped air to compress. Loading 45ACP tonight with 452460. and NRA 50:50 lube I lubed 43 boolits without cranking following a refill. That goes real fast. So, have any of you rigged air to you Lyman lubesizer?

prs

wrench
10-07-2013, 11:52 PM
I've been experimenting with air pressure on an RCBS LAMII, can't say I've quite got the system worked out yet. I melt the lube and pour it into the sizer, made a spare piston for the air to act against. I'll follow this thread with interest...:idea:

EDG
10-08-2013, 12:05 AM
I thought about connecting a pump handle grease gun full of lube to mine.
Add air pressure to a grease gun and you might be able to lube bullets for a year without adding lube.

bruce381
10-08-2013, 02:37 AM
would love to but how? no threads on the top to thread anything into, I guess I could tap it?

HATCH
10-08-2013, 07:49 AM
would love to but how? no threads on the top to thread anything into, I guess I could tap it?

I would machine a cap that fits on the top that has two threaded holes in it.
You then drill two holes in the top of the lube tube and use bolts thru the threaded holes in the cap.
The drilled holes can be smaller and the bolts can have the threads machined off the very end so its just a smooth rod.

Walter Laich
10-08-2013, 11:40 AM
not directly related to the OP but I also melt and pour the lube in mine--that way the lube chamber is fully filled and I don't have to crank it down as much before lube starts coming out

prs
10-08-2013, 12:34 PM
not directly related to the OP but I also melt and pour the lube in mine--that way the lube chamber is fully filled and I don't have to crank it down as much before lube starts coming out

That is exactly how I go about it with my black powder lube, but I have been using NRA 50:50 of late and do NOT want to stink-up the whole world by heating alox, it stinks pretty good even when cool (smells like old rotten gasoline).

prs

wrench
10-08-2013, 04:07 PM
Regarding how to get the air into the sizer...I ordered a new cap from RCBS, and the hole in the middle is nearly the exact right size for an 1/4" pipe tap. I tapped the hole, and screwed in a brass fitting to attach my air line to.
That was the easy part.

prs
10-09-2013, 08:39 PM
...... but how to get your extra piston to return once reservoir is empty?

prs

wrench
10-09-2013, 11:26 PM
I made a little 'T' handle with an all thread coupler on the end, when it gets empty, open the cap, screw on the handle, and pull out the piston.
See? I've thought of everything.
(Except how to make it work like I want it to):groner:

Frozone
10-10-2013, 01:30 AM
I started looking into an air powered motor.
a simple bracket to hold the motor, a regulator, and a coupler and everything else stays the same no changes to the lube unit itself.

The draw back? Darn motors are expensive.

GP100man
10-13-2013, 09:39 AM
How`s about doing it like a Star with a spring ??