PDA

View Full Version : Issue with Lee 452-200-SWC 6 cavity mold

Jayhawkhuntclub
10-07-2013, 01:29 PM
This mold generally works well. I have a little over 1,000 bullets from it so far. the first 500 shot very well. HOWEVER, I do have one issue that has started. I have been getting some lead bleeding between the sprue plate and the mould. This is using range scrap. The bolts that hold the sprue plate in place are tight. And this seems to happen only on the middle cavities. It's not a lot: paper thin and only a few thousands of an inch out. What it does is gives me bullets that don't like to drop. And it of course leaves a few spots of fins below the bevel base. I haven't shot any of these that dropped with the fin, so I don't know if it'll affect accuracy.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

kevmc
10-07-2013, 01:55 PM
lead deposits on the bottom of sprue plate/top of mold?????
Sprue plate bolts too tight causing plate to flex...........

I'd make sure mold is clean on top and then work with sprue plate bolt...

Springfield
10-07-2013, 01:57 PM
Get some Bullplate Sprue lube and most or all of the fins will go away.

R.M.
10-07-2013, 01:59 PM
I've seen many 6 banger molds with warped sprue-plates.

tomme boy
10-07-2013, 03:25 PM
Yep, warped plate. Had a couple do this.

prs
10-07-2013, 03:43 PM
Sometimes the fitment of the sprue plate is too tight between its hinge end and the slot that rides in on the latch bolt. When the mold gets hot, the plate expands even more and it buckles a bit. If the plate is bent, replacement is needed, but if straight when cool you can open the slot in its end to fit the latch bolt a tad on the loose side when cold. If you get a new plate, check it for fit before use.

prs