PDA

View Full Version : How much can I size down a .542 maxi-ball

RWE
10-07-2013, 08:23 AM
Part of my ongoing saga to get a Kodiak Express with a tight bore shooting.

I have a maxiball mould that spits them out at .542. Thing is, I have a bore of .532 and groove at .542.

Looking at getting a Lee push sizer (the 0.510) and having it reamed out (Lee could make one, but their custom shop is on hold, apparently).

Just curious if I'll be fighting with it too much and should get a custom mold built, or if I can get the .542 down to a suitable size.

Figure it would be easier since I'm working pure lead.

I have a pedersoli sizer and can get them down to .538, but it's still too tight of a fit.

FWIW, I have a custom rod tip and short starter on the way with a proper angle, and would prefer as tight of a fit as prudent, but would like to get the diameter down to not make loading a major effort.

Maven
10-07-2013, 11:00 AM
"Looking at getting a Lee push sizer (the 0.510) and having it reamed out (Lee could make one, but their custom shop is on hold, apparently). Just curious if I'll be fighting with it too much and should get a custom mold built, or if I can get the .542 down to a suitable size."

RWE, Look up Buckshot and send him a PM with the above information. He'll tell you whether a sizing die in the size you need is feasible, and will make one for you, if possible, at a very reasonable price.

runfiverun
10-07-2013, 12:01 PM
quite often the sizing isn't the issue.
I have pushed 453 boolits through a 430 sizer, the outcome mostly resembled a boolit.
I don't know what it would shoot like as I tossed it back in the pot.
as you squeeze things down you elongate them usually with unintended and unbalanced results.

my opinion is to get a mold/sizer combination of the correct design and diameter to begin with.