PDA

View Full Version : PC bullet questions

jacobslagle018
10-07-2013, 01:13 AM
Hey everyone. I have been lurking here for a little bit and finally signed up. I just wanted to ask the experts here a few questions. I'm about to cast my own bulleys for the first time and plan to PC for lube.

First question is...Does it matter what the hardness of the lead is? If PC is basically indestructable and won't leave leading in the barrel, can the lead be almost any hardness? My lead will be mined from locak ranges and melted down.

Second question...Do you put in gas checks with bullets that are PC?

Thanks again for the help!

KYShooter73
10-07-2013, 10:50 AM
You didn't mention the caliber. For common handguns you should be good to go soft and no gas check, rifle...maybe not depending on velocity and twist. I do check 9mm sometimes as it seems to give me better accuracy.

jacobslagle018
10-07-2013, 10:59 AM
Sorry about that. I will be loading for 9, 40, and maybe 223. Also I have read a lot of threads on PC methods, but is there an accepted tutorial as far as the baking process goes? That's the one part of the process I think I need to read more on.

KYShooter73
10-07-2013, 11:15 AM
I put up a tutorial for electrostatic spray here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?209151-Powder-Coating-101-Electrostatic-Method

You should be fine with your 9mm and 40, .223 will need a better suited alloy and gas check if you push them to any speed at all.

jacobslagle018
10-09-2013, 12:51 PM
Awesome tutorial! One more question. If I am just making round nose bullets, and I dont cover the base will that be ok or do I need to bake them and then do the base? Thanks again for all of the help.

KYShooter73
10-09-2013, 01:05 PM
Uncovered base is fine. It never touches the barrel anyway.

Garyshome
10-09-2013, 01:17 PM
Your boolits need to be sized properly or you will get leading in the barrel. PC'ing is nice but a lot of work.

prickett
10-09-2013, 11:29 PM
First question is...Does it matter what the hardness of the lead is? If PC is basically indestructable and won't leave leading in the barrel, can the lead be almost any hardness? My lead will be mined from locak ranges and melted down.

I can answer in the context of using the Piglet method to PC. Hardness DOES matter. You may be able to shoot softer lead than you could with conventional lube, but there IS a point where lead can be too soft.

I tried pure lead in a 9mm and it leaded the barrel badly and keyholed the target at 7 yards.

fastglock
10-10-2013, 02:32 AM
Uncovered base is fine. It never touches the barrel anyway.

I say yes to low velocity such as 45ACP or reduced 40sw or subsonic 9mm.

No to higher velocities and/or loads that uses fast powder.

At one time I was using jacketed bullets with exposed lead base in my 9mm Major STI race gun. I would still get lead in my comp. So I would have to disagree a little ( by half only :guntootsmiley::guntootsmiley:)

KYShooter73
10-10-2013, 02:40 AM
Nahh, I don't disagree with you really. I would think you would start needing checked or covered bases around 1400fps. Just a guess though. I do pop can gas check my 9mm sometimes.