PDA

View Full Version : Is it a sin ?

mag_01
11-01-2007, 06:28 PM
The other day while at the range shooting pistol I bent down to pick up some discarded brass --- Brass all over the ground all kinds (reload-able) ---- and I wondered is it a sin to throw brass away ----- In a time when prices keep climbing it sure looks like its wrong. ---- Aww maybe I'm just getting old. --- Mag_01

Bret4207
11-01-2007, 06:32 PM
As Mr. Franklin said, "A penny saved is a penny earned". I think it's common sense.

mooman76
11-01-2007, 06:46 PM
No it is not a sin for these generous people to give me their brass!

jonk
11-01-2007, 06:59 PM
Believe it or not, a lot of shooters don't even know about reloading! They don't know it exists! But it isn't right of them to leave a mess lying about.

Single Shot
11-01-2007, 07:08 PM
In order to be a SIN, the people discarding brass would have to view shooting as a Religious Experience.

Brass discarders are obviously shooting store bought, produced for the masses ammunition.

Therefore their shooting can not be a Religious Experience.

However,

Those of use that cast boolits and reload ammunition, GO FORTH AMONG THE MASSES AND SAVE THIS ERRANT DISCARDED BRASS.

We treat it with respect and teach it the way by inspecting, cleaning, and Baptizing (resizing) it to erase it's original sin and give it a new spiritual life.

After this brass has been REBORN, it would then, and only then, be a sin for us to shove it aside and discard it back unto the ground.

All life is precious. Even the useful life of this Reborn and virtuous brass.

At least until the brass succumbs to the dark side and SPLITS away from us.

Bob Jones
11-01-2007, 07:43 PM
Don't know how it is where you are, but two years ago there was brass everywhere at my range, I was able to squirrel away quite a bit. Today, you have to get there at just the right time or there's nothing. Lots of other folks getting into reloading or selling it for scrap, bit it's darned hard to come by these days.

Stopped by the local gunshop last weekend and they wanted 10 cents apiece for Lake City .223 brass, it was 2 cents a year ago.

leftiye
11-01-2007, 08:04 PM
The sin is being stoopid enough to shoot store ammo!

testhop
11-01-2007, 08:07 PM
yes yes i belevie it is a sin to leave reloadable brass but you will never see me comiting
this sin even if i dont use them i give the cases to any body who can use them

mag_01
11-01-2007, 08:43 PM
All well said gentlemen

floodgate
11-01-2007, 09:31 PM
Bret:

I prefer:

"A penny saved is a penny out of circulation."

OR:

"A penny saved is the hundredth part of a dollar."

floodgate

oneokie
11-01-2007, 10:00 PM
HeHe, spent the day counting and bagging my range pickups.

100 30-06, or 30-30 to a quart freezer bag.
500 9mm
300 40 S&W
200 223
100 38 spl., or 357

10 lbs range scrap to a plastic coffee container.

Plus all the odd ball stuff that adds to my cartridge collection.

Ask me how I know.

Kraschenbirn
11-01-2007, 11:03 PM
Because of my flexible work schedule, I'm usually able to get to the range during midweek when there's no one else around and every trip yields a bonus in discarded brass. Last month, I picked up 47 rounds of once-fired, boxer-primed 30-06 military...from the ejection pattern, I figure someone must've fired off a full bandoleer of Garand clips but I couldn't find the 48th empty.

What I don't keep for my own use, goes into a 5-gallon bucket under my reloading bench and once I've accumulated enough to make the trip worthwhile, I stop by the my local metals recycler and trade for salvaged lead. Waste not, want not!!

Bill

pumpguy
11-01-2007, 11:29 PM
Because of my flexible work schedule, I'm usually able to get to the range during midweek when there's no one else around and every trip yields a bonus in discarded brass. Last month, I picked up 47 rounds of once-fired, boxer-primed 30-06 military...from the ejection pattern, I figure someone must've fired off a full bandoleer of Garand clips but I couldn't find the 48th empty.

What I don't keep for my own use, goes into a 5-gallon bucket under my reloading bench and once I've accumulated enough to make the trip worthwhile, I stop by the my local metals recycler and trade for salvaged lead. Waste not, want not!!

Bill

I bet if you offered the members here the stuff you are recycling, you would make even more than you would at the recycler.

kodiak1
11-02-2007, 12:34 AM
if it is a sin to pick up brass at the range me and my whole family are going to h-e double L in a hurry for a long long time.
Ken.

The Double D
11-02-2007, 12:36 AM
In my part of Montana Gophers are shot from the comfort of the front seat of the pick-up with .22 LR while driving around on the prairie. (It's legal). Brass accumulates on the floorboards. It's like a status symbol that you leave it to impress your gopher hunting buddies. The Wife gets annoyed by it. I have been known to kick a handful out in a parking lot where big City ecotourists and Canadians congregate just to watch their eyes!!!

With the way scrap prices are I may start saving that stuff.

MT Chambers
11-03-2007, 12:35 AM
I never pick up range brass when anyone is looking, instead i wait for everyone to leave and then I dive on it. Sometimes I have to wait 4 or 5 hours, and it's cold up here(Canada).

JeffinNZ
11-03-2007, 06:04 AM
I presently have more .223 brass than I am ever likely to use through pickups. Long way it continue.

Jim
11-03-2007, 07:46 AM
Since I've retired from the construction industry, I've had a lot of mornings free before my shift starts at my new job. About half the time, I go out to the club range and scrounge for brass. I'm amazed at how much I'm finding. 3 lb. coffee cans full at a time! Now, I'm looking for people that need brass to get started reloading. Besides, I'm running out of room to store it.