PDA

View Full Version : Getting Started. Focused on 7mm Rem Mag.

BoolitBullet
10-06-2013, 02:00 AM
Hello All,

I am just cutting my teeth on reloading. My aim is to shoot my 7mm rem mag more (a lot more) without going broke and to shoot it when I want, i.e., not having to wait for the local stores to replenish their ammunition stock. Reading the Lyman 49Th Edition Reloading Handbook, it made mention of casting. Seems another good way to shoot for less. This led me to purchase and start reading the Lyman 4th Edition Cast Bullet Handbook (I am on Chapter 9). Diving into the forums here, I tried to find out if casting for this caliber is even a good idea. I've tried searching the older threads, but still haven't found exactly what I am looking for. So, I guess I'll have to ask you masters of casting directly.

Is casting for a 7mm rem mag a good idea?

If so, do you have any recommendations on equipment? Reading the Lyman handbook, I think I need, in no particular order, a melting pot, a boolit mold (or is it mould), mold handles, an ingot mold, flux, a hammer for the sprue plate, boolit lube, and a sizing die. Did I miss anything? Right now, I am leaning towards a Lee Pro 4 pot. Do I need any other reloading dies other than my current Lee full size resizing die, collet die, dead length bullet seating die, and factory crimp die to properly seat the boolit into the cartridge case?

I have no idea which mold is the right one for me. Being new to reloading as a whole, the whole bullet/boolit selection process is somewhat daunting. Do I want a lighter boolit (130 gr), or a heavier 160 gr boolit (160 gr)? Do I want a round nose, flat nose, semi-point, truncated cone? :| I can't say that Chapter 4 of the casting handbook left me very confident here.

Another question, reading the handbook, it seems that boolits are happier flying slower than their jacketed cousins. Does this mean that long range shooting/hunting is compromised with boolits?

Finally, please, point me any previous threads that you would consider required reading for the beginner reloader/caster .

Thank you for any help. Now to get back to reading the handbook...

Wally
10-06-2013, 07:55 AM
Yes, it is. I shoot a Rem 700 7mm Rem Mag. I use the Lee 125 Cast-GC and the RCBS 168 SP-GC with 15.0 & 18.0 of Unique with Std Large Pistol primers. Last weekend I was popping plates with them ay 200~300 yards. I make my own GCs with a Freechex II tool.

I use an RCBS die set and a Lyman "M" die to bell eth case mouth....I also use a C & H Taper Crimp die...just to remove the bell from the case mouth. I size the bullets to .285".

The secret is to load the bullets "long" so they engage the leade...so I have to shoot them single shot.

BoolitBullet
10-06-2013, 12:52 PM
Wally, Thanks for the info. With these loads, do you require specific boolit harness? Can you get away with using WW?

Wally
10-06-2013, 01:28 PM
I've shot some cast in the 7mmRemMag. There isn't a lot of info around, but yes WW will work. I add a little tin and water drop everything. I've only shot the RCBS 7mm 140gr Silhouette boolit, but have some of the NOE 150 FN Hunter boolits to try when I make the time. I have an article from the early 90s that makes Unique look like a good choice, and the 7mm Lee mould as well.

I don't think that boolit shape is as important as fit. With the quick twist of the 7mms, you'll be limited to velocity potential while maintaining accuracy, but being able to shoot 1800-200fps for not a lot of $ beats leaving the rifle in the rack.

Amen, I keep my velocity to 1,800 or less. Unique or Red Dot worked so well for me I never tried anything else. I load Single shot and Tip the bullet point up and lower it slowly then carefully chamber it..to keep the powder in the same position in the case. Last weekend I was consistently (defined as 50% + hits) hitting a 4" wide steel plate at 200~300 yards...all at 6¢ a round..cheaper than a .22 RF... The secret it to load so the bullets are in contact with the lead...my 700 has a long throat

Wally
10-06-2013, 01:33 PM
Wally, Thanks for the info. With these loads, do you require specific boolit harness? Can you get away with using WW?

WW metal dropped in cold water from the mold...as hard as WW but less brittle--even make my own Gas Checks...a Freechex II tool.

BoolitBullet
10-06-2013, 02:11 PM
Wally, what is your recipe for gas checks? You find that they perform as well as the manufactured ones?

BoolitBullet
10-06-2013, 02:53 PM
...[B]eing able to shoot 1800-200fps for not a lot of $ beats leaving the rifle in the rack.

I highly agree!

Wally
10-06-2013, 04:59 PM
Wally, what is your recipe for gas checks? You find that they perform as well as the manufactured ones?

Aluminum flashing .008" or .011" ..Yes, absolutely. The Hornady are too tight on the RCBS 168 SP-GC bullets, so the noses got deformed when I seated them. No problem when using aluminum GC.s.... Also I save on the cost of the Hornady GC's...that adds up very quickly.

runfiverun
10-06-2013, 11:44 PM
gator checks fit my rcbs 168gr mold rather nicely.

300yd pin shooting is a breeze with the 7mm's using cast boolits.
the velocity doesn't have to be in the 3-k range to tip them over or to shoot decent groups at that distance either.

Beerd
10-07-2013, 11:44 AM
BoolitBullet,

Very reasonable approach.
Buy the books.
Read them.
Ask questions.

Now if you could just find someone local to work with. Where are you located?

Garyshome
10-07-2013, 12:03 PM
You know pistol is an easier way to start?

BoolitBullet
10-07-2013, 03:36 PM
Hello Beerd,

I've read the Lyman 49th Edition reloading book and refer back to it constantly. I've just about finished with the casting handbook. Good point about finding a local caster. I'm in the Fort Collins area here in northern Colorado. If anyone out there wants to help me out, I'd be very appreciative.

Garyshome,

I am curious what makes pistol easier. Isn't it the same process regardless of the firearm involved (with exception of the GC)?

Thank you all for your help.

histed
10-07-2013, 09:16 PM
Not meaning to hijack this thread, do any of you hunt with these loads? I, too, am totally new to this and shoot a 7mm mag. My apology if this breaks protocol.

Wally
10-07-2013, 10:18 PM
Not meaning to hijack this thread, do any of you hunt with these loads? I, too, am totally new to this and shoot a 7mm mag. My apology if this breaks protocol.

I don't, but they would be just fine for small game...

MarkP
10-07-2013, 10:48 PM
I would recommend Trailboss powder, no need for fillers and the velocity will be in the ranges as stated in the replies above. No searching for load data and or guessing how much RedDot to use.