PDA

View Full Version : What should I do?

338RemUltraMag
10-05-2013, 10:23 AM
Guys,

I have been in contact with an ebay purchaser of my 22 cal checks. He has not been able to seat my checks at all. So I asked him to send me a few bullets and the checks back and I can measure the shank and make a check that will fit easily. Well, the guy sent the checks and bullets and it is obvious why he couldnt get the checks to work. I have a picture of the bullets he sent, now my problem starts here:

Should I try and help this guy cast a decent bullet or just refund him the money? He has to be doing everything wrong, and I WANT him to be successful, I just dont know if I can help him through email and on the phone.

http://i1270.photobucket.com/albums/jj609/joshaaronelli/gun%20and%20game%20pics/20131005_101102.jpg

blikseme300
10-05-2013, 10:29 AM
Wow, I don't think email or phone call will be enough to help. Refund will be a simpler solution, IMHO.

huntrick64
10-05-2013, 10:32 AM
It's a no-brainer to me, help the guy out. Send him 20 of your bullets, 10 with the checks seated and 10 without so he can see what he is shooting for (pun intended). Put a note explaining the problem is in his casting and point him to some of the excellent internet sources for casting or point him to the lyman casting books. He will be customer and friend for life.

btroj
10-05-2013, 10:50 AM
His mould has some issues. Lots of flashing and junk all over those bullets. The check shank barely exists.

Yeah, he needs a new mould.

338RemUltraMag
10-05-2013, 11:22 AM
s***t,

I recieved the checks and bullets last night, we have a few problems here, I am going to to refund your money for these checks. Now, looking at these bullets there are a few problems, I think you are a new caster and I would love to help you get these bullets to a shootable condition. The first problem I see is your mold is not closing all the way and you are getting heavy flashing. Second is fill out, a few of these guys have some voids, this is an easy fix and may fix itself if we get the flashing taken care of. Third is the flashing on the base of the bullet, and this is what is keeping my checks from working, and honestly I am not sure if you could get Hornady or Lyman checks to fit.

I mean ZERO disrespect in this reply and ho estly want to help, here is my email, please contact me and we can get these casting issues taken care of.

Josh

338RemUltraMag
10-05-2013, 11:23 AM
This was my exact reply, the ball is in his court now.

btroj
10-05-2013, 11:29 AM
I think a refund is a very nice decision by you. Tells me you stand behind your product even in cases where the product wasn't at fault.

I wonder if he was having the same issue with Hornady checks, bet he was.

mdi
10-05-2013, 02:45 PM
Agree with huntrick64. This feller needs some help with the basics of boolit casting, and who better than a member of Castboolits?

PS Paul
10-05-2013, 02:54 PM
Perfect response. You offered a solution after offering sound advice. You lightly and gently showed him where and why his boolits wouldn't work and you made a personal pledge to help him, if he would take you up on it.

Provided this person is a reasonable person, he will take advantage of your offer. MY experience has been that many folk simply are NOT reasonable people and some take personal offense when one points out the "flaws" in their game.

I hope this person does take you up on your offer to help, and provided they do, you point them to this forum.

Good man!

John Boy
10-05-2013, 03:12 PM
338, send the fella these links:
* http://www.lasc.us/brennan_3-4_howtocastbullets.htm
* http://www.longrangebpcr.com/8Phases.htm
He needs help from the beginning to end

Mohavedog
10-05-2013, 03:25 PM
338 - Your customer is inexperienced and clueless in how to pour a proper cast boolit. You have taken the time to show him where he has erred and offered help to correct the "problems" (plural). You have showed him that your gc's are not defective. So, as you said, the ball is in his court. If he heeds the advice and gets help to make a decent boolit you may have made a good future customer. If he/she is a hardhead and won't admit his boolits are the problem, then a refund is going out of your way to accomodate him. I agree, there isn't a properly sized gc on the planet that will fit those boolits. Mohavedog

338RemUltraMag
10-05-2013, 04:18 PM
As a shooter and caster I hate to see people fail in this fun endeavor, if he accepts my advice I would love you guys to offer some advice and such because I sure dont know it all! I will get him on the basics and see what comes of it.

plainsman456
10-05-2013, 05:27 PM
You done Good.

BBQJOE
10-05-2013, 05:43 PM
Wow!
I don't think I could cast bullets that awful if I tried. I mean even if no one had even showed me how, I would have probably done better than that.
You are quite generous in your offers. I foresee quite the project in getting this guy up to speed. I wouldn't be surprised to learn he was casting from melted down car batteries.
If it becomes a PITA, personally, I'd just give him a refund and be done with it.

dverna
10-05-2013, 07:24 PM

You handled it well and I applaud you!!!

He probably sent you his best bullets so you can imagine what garbage he is working with. Someone like this cannot be helped. This is a cruel statement but hear me out. You CANNOT teach common sense. When a person does not have it, they are hopeless. Anyone with any common sense will know those bullets are useless. do not waste your time with him.

My dad ran his own business and he once told me "There are customers you do not want".

Don Verna

338RemUltraMag
10-05-2013, 10:42 PM
I got a reply in email form, I gotta try and help him out, anyone have good links that I can send him back?

I am new to reloading and I bought the mold from green mountain molds on ebay and have contacted them about the mold, since you sent me the last email. what do you mean about voids in the bullet. I understand the flashing. this is the only mold I have this problem with. I thought the .225 resizing die would fix it. i'm guessing now that i'm wrong. I was thing that if I push it through the resizing die and then used your gc's , they'd fit. I need all the help I can get because I have no one to ask these kind of questions. Don't get out much due to being paralyzed. Just saying I appreciate all your constructive criticism. thank you and God bless

warf73
10-05-2013, 11:28 PM
Wish we could find out where he lives as I'm betting there is someone from this forum close by to help him out. I would guess a few hours with this fellow and he would be set.
Sounds like he wants to learn, I would link www.castboolits.gunloads.com as a link and we as a community could help him.

sthwestvictoria
10-06-2013, 03:51 AM
Nice work 338RUM, very supportive of you. For links to read these come to mind - the always excellent Ingot to Target by Glen Fryexll:
http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_textonly2.pdf

This neat little tutorial with plenty of pictures "The Evolution of the Wheel Weight"
www.m1911.org/ezine/casting.htm

And remember we have the NRA cast bullet handbooks hosted here on this site:
www.castpics.net/subsite2/ClassicWorks/default.html

alfloyd
10-06-2013, 04:32 AM
"Wish we could find out where he lives as I'm betting there is someone from this forum close by to help him out. I would guess a few hours with this fellow and he would be set."

+1 on what warf73 said.

If he in in Northern Utah, I will be more than happy to help him.

Lafaun

Mk42gunner
10-06-2013, 04:53 PM
The guy obviously has internet, and interest, so send him a link to Castboolits.

Robert

oldfart1956
10-06-2013, 09:04 PM
God bless those of you that go out of your way to help those in need. Whether new caster or old and befuddled. Please try to get him here and if he's willing hook him up with a mentor. If he's near enough to Greencastle, Pa. he's welcome here or I'll go to him if need be. He mentioned he's paralyzed....I'll carry him into my home if need be. Audie....the Oldfart.

500MAG
10-06-2013, 09:06 PM
Please find out what range he shoots at and the days and times he goes so we can remain safe.

popper
10-07-2013, 10:14 AM
many folk simply are NOT reasonable people That is MOST folks. It does appear that you customer is reasonable and needs help. sthwestvictoria has some good links to productive hints. Possibly some good PMs would help. Request he post some of his problems/questions here - he would get immediate assistance.
Edit: After some rumminating on this post, due to being paralyzed, It is none of my business as to his capabilities or desires, BUT - is it SAFE for him to be doing casting? Help, yes. Injurious help? Nope.

338RemUltraMag
10-07-2013, 02:43 PM
many folk simply are NOT reasonable people That is MOST folks. It does appear that you customer is reasonable and needs help. sthwestvictoria has some good links to productive hints. Possibly some good PMs would help. Request he post some of his problems/questions here - he would get immediate assistance.
Edit: After some rumminating on this post, due to being paralyzed, It is none of my business as to his capabilities or desires, BUT - is it SAFE for him to be doing casting? Help, yes. Injurious help? Nope.

Popper,

I have spoke with the gent and he is a smart and intellegent person, he just needed some guidance. I sent him here and told him to ask away and we would help as much as possible. As far as being paralyzed, well, I thought I would never see a double amputee run in the olympics. Let him decide his limits, I am all for personal accountability.