PDA

View Full Version : Made a NEWBIE mistake today - need advice

retread
10-04-2013, 08:03 PM
I was loading 44 Mag today and restocked the primer feed on my Dillon 550 with a full tube of large rifle primers. Normally use large magnum pistols primers of course. Did not notice the mistake until that tube was gone and reached for another. Oops. I have been loading 18.7 gr. of AA #9 over a Lee 429-240-2R rated at 240 gr. but actually throws a 260 gr. Fairly hot load but no signs of excessive pressure in the past. My gun is a Ruger Redhawk with a 7.5 inch barrel. Since I am up there with that load already will the LRP push me where I don't want to go?

Input please.

500MAG
10-04-2013, 08:12 PM
Did they seat flush? They normally wouldn't and that can be dangerous.

joesig
10-04-2013, 08:19 PM
Sorry to tell you what you already know but it is the best path: Pull and redo.

Gently deprime and wear safety glasses if you don't already.

I would be shocked if the cylinder spun and even so, not a safe combination.

retread
10-04-2013, 08:25 PM
They did seat flush. I think I know what I have to do but hate wasting primers but that is a small cost compared to the possible alternatives.

snuffy
10-04-2013, 08:53 PM
They did seat flush. I think I know what I have to do but hate wasting primers but that is a small cost compared to the possible alternatives.

No waste, push them out, re-seat in some rifle loads. May not be as sensitive as if they were never seated, but they'll still work.

Don't listen to the panty waists about them firing when decapping. Primers require a sharp blow to fire. Just don't jab the primers with the decap punch, slow and easy does it..

retread
10-05-2013, 12:24 AM
Thanks to all for the comebacks. Appreciate the input.

Jay

R.M.
10-05-2013, 01:53 AM
Pull the boolits and recharge with a lesser load.

44man
10-05-2013, 08:27 AM
I would pull them down. LR are .010" higher and if not flush you can get a slam fire against the recoil plate out of line with the bore. Forcing them flush can damage the compound, could get a hangfire, failure to fire or even a stuck boolit in the bore.
Even if they work, you will have accuracy problems.

koehlerrk
10-05-2013, 12:04 PM
Nearly did that myself last week... noticed that the primers I almost put into the tube were large rifle and not large pistol... fortunately I stopped real quick.

Yeah, I'd say pull them down and replace the primers.

Shuz
10-05-2013, 04:38 PM
Here's what I would do.....You are on your own here, but if it were me, since you said the primers were seated flush, I see no reason to pull the boolits and start over. Another suggestion would be to fire the rounds in a rifle chambered for the .44 magnum. My understanding of the difference between large rifle and large pistol lies in the dimension of the cups, front to back and the thickness of the cup material. Again, since you said the primers fit flush, the only problem you might experience is a FTF because your Ruger's firing pin didn't dent the primer enough. I do not know for sure if there is any difference in the amount of priming compound between the two, but I seriously doubt that there is. Besides you were using a large pistol magnum primer, so a large rifle magnum primer may have the same composition. As others have said the safest thing to do would be to pull the boolits and gently deprime, but again since the primers are flush I see no real danger and I would just fire them in a gun as strong as a Ruger.

PS Paul
10-05-2013, 04:45 PM
Did an experiment some time back with LR primers in .45 Colt. They did not seat flushut I loaded one at a time with a medium-power load over 4227. Just for kicks.

Cylinder turned in my BH, but accuracy was just out the window. POOR.

It is wisest to either pull and re-use primers (this can be done safely) OR shoot in a single-shot gun. Just my opinion, based on my own experience, that's all. YMMV.