PDA

View Full Version : The Yorktown

shaper
10-04-2013, 01:45 PM
My son n law, grandson, and the rest of the Scout troup will be spending the night on the Yorktown tonight. I am very envious, but happy for them. They will never forget this trip.

Bad Water Bill
10-04-2013, 03:22 PM
Truly an experience of a lifetime.

Garyshome
10-04-2013, 03:28 PM
I am going on the Yorktown this month! Something I always wanted to do.

waynem34
10-04-2013, 03:34 PM
Wow! That is one badarse Essex class aircraft carrier! I looked it up on wikipedia.It was in the movie Tora Tora Tora and The Philidelphia Experment lol I know i cant spell.There have been 5 ships named york town one was detroyed in the battle of midway.Also Eleven Battle stars!@.Five in vietnam.It was on the enternet so it must be true.

gbrown
10-04-2013, 03:43 PM
A truly magnificent fighting ship. Served long and proud. It's great that these great monuments are there for the younger ones to see. We have the USS Texas and I still remember it as a young boy. I took many a class on fieldtrips to it, as well as the San Jacinto battlefield, which it is moored at.

savagetactical
10-04-2013, 05:19 PM
A truly magnificent fighting ship. Served long and proud. It's great that these great monuments are there for the younger ones to see. We have the USS Texas and I still remember it as a young boy. I took many a class on fieldtrips to it, as well as the San Jacinto battlefield, which it is moored at.

The old Texas is in bad shape, I know they are trying to do another restoration to save her and its going to cost millions. I hope they finish it as it is the only surviving dreadnaught on the planet.

richhodg66
10-04-2013, 05:49 PM
I've toured it many times, but not for a while. I know Patriot's Point was looking on hard times financially and there was talk about them scrapping the Clamagore. My wife's grandpa was one of the crew that Christened the Clamagore.

I'm supposed to be going to Charleston in a month for my 25th class reunion, I may have to find time to go see the Yorktown while I'm there.

GOPHER SLAYER
10-04-2013, 06:19 PM
I was stationed at the Naval Air Station boat house, San Diego in the early 1950's and when the Yorktown [number 10] came to port she tied up at pier abel which was a short distance from the boathouse. Our son went to collage at the Citidel in Charleston in the late 1990's and on one of our visits we toured the old girl. It brought back lots of memories.

bob208
10-04-2013, 06:20 PM
there has been talk of sinking the u.s.s. Olympia. Dewey's flagship at the battle of manila also it carried the ww1 unknown solder home.

Bad Water Bill
10-04-2013, 08:06 PM
I had a survivor of the Yorktown in my squadron. All he ever said was when the fighting began he was a young man with BLACK hair.

When He was finally pulled out of the sea his hair was permanently SNOW WHITE. At about 30? he looked as wrinkled and sunburned as a person that spent 70 years living in the desert.

And now we have a president that thinks the WW2 vets should not be allowed to visit the memorial.

How about having his legacy start off with "I was the first black president to be impeached and removed from office with ZERO benefits for any time I spent in ANY political office."

shaper
10-04-2013, 09:58 PM
I had a survivor of the Yorktown in my squadron. All he ever said was when the fighting began he was a young man with BLACK hair.

When He was finally pulled out of the sea his hair was permanently SNOW WHITE. At about 30? he looked as wrinkled and sunburned as a person that spent 70 years living in the desert.

And now we have a president that thinks the WW2 vets should not be allowed to visit the memorial.

How about having his legacy start off with "I was the first black president to be impeached and removed from office with ZERO benefits for any time I spent in ANY political office."
I hve the same thoughts Bill.

Moondawg
10-05-2013, 08:16 PM
Ya'll that are not to awful far away need to come down to Corpus Christi, Texas and tour the U.S.S. Lexington. It is the oldest aircraft carrier in the world, and the last Essex Class to be decommissioned. The Lex was one of the first Essex class to be launched, and was in almost constant service from 1943 until the end of 1990. It starred in the movie Pearl Harbor. The tours are all self guided and it will take 4-6 hours to see everything on the ship, plus a movie is included in the admission.