PDA

View Full Version : Old art forms.

pdawg_shooter
11-01-2007, 08:51 AM
Had high hopes for this forum but looks like there aint many of us out here. Guess folks would rather fight leading and low velocity limits rather than do the extra work. Its a shame that such a great old art is going by the wayside!

KCSO
11-01-2007, 09:36 PM
I paper patch for my sharps relica and an original Sharps but I just haven't had time to visit here yet. Don't give up yet. I will stop in after deer season. Hopefully by then with photo's of a dead deer.

Jon K
11-01-2007, 10:16 PM
pdawg_shooter,

Not so! Just cause thre is not a lot of trafffic, doesn't mean the PP forum is not working.

Myself, maybe I been slow to post, but I haven't been idle. I bought :

-BACO .441 PP Mould(even spelled it correct)
-Loading and Shooting Paper Patched Bullets by R.S. Wright
-100% 9# paper(blue paper)
-glass eyedropper

Many thanks to bigborefan & Powderburnerr lots of good info.
As usual Dean always posts accurate un-biased usable data.

The BACO mould pours like a dream, and if it shoots as good.......
I poured 150 Boolits, weighs 544 grains in 40/1 alloy.
Cut & wrapped some, but haven't had a chance to load & shoot some. I haven't been up to going out to shoot, just recouping for surgery Oct 1(Bladder Cancer). I figure I'll be out to the range in the next week or 2.

My interests in PP is BPCR, and have only glanced at the posts for smokeless, so I haven't taken part in those.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l101/Jon_K_2006/DSC_0001-4.jpg

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l101/Jon_K_2006/DSC_0001-3.jpg

I will start with 80-82 grains of Swiss 1 1/2 in my 45-90 Starline brass, .5 ml lube sandwiched between 2 .030 poly wads.

Jon :castmine::lovebooli

powderburnerr
11-01-2007, 10:55 PM
Jon,
You might consider trying fiber wads with pp bullets , sometimes the poly wads scrape too good and leave harder fouling .... I also had a little slumping problem with mine at 40-1 .
the lightest charge tried though was 100 gns of 2F kik, I have got some poured in 20-1 now and 16-1 to see if it will help , I also am going to shoot some of the soft ones in the 70 and see how they do at lower pressures..I would be interested in your results ...........Dean

Jon K
11-01-2007, 11:43 PM
Dean,

Thanks for the tip, I guess I'll also pour some 30/1 & 20/1 for testing. I read the other posts, but figured I'd start @40/1 since it has a ways to bump up(I'm wrapping to .448). I'll try fibre wads, and also want to try milk carton wads over powder.

Let me know how the 16/1 & 20/1 work.

Thanks,
Jon

freedom475
11-02-2007, 01:48 AM
I spend a lot more time with my sharps rifles in the winter, I just have more time on my hands.

I'm glad to see this forum and look forward to doing some PPing this winter after hunting season ends. Don't hunt with my Sharps as much as I use to ( with a range finder and an Axtel sight it kind of takes the sport out of hunting) with all the practice and load work-up it It turns into a shoot not a hunt If you can see it you can kill.

I also have a paper cartridge sharps carbine in 54cal and I hope this might be the place to get some tips on it'.

I haven't posted in here yet but I always stop in for the read, even before I was a member.

Jon K I hope all is well with you after your surgery. Those are some real nice pics! makes me want to get out the razor.

Jon K
11-02-2007, 03:27 AM
freedm475,

Everything came out ok, caught it early, so it wasn't agressive enough to migrate. Thanks.

This is the place to get tips to get started. I am just getting my feet wet, and find it easier to get started with tips from others using the same equipment and specs, its apples to apples comparison, so I don't have to reinvent the wheel so to speak, maybe just tweek it a little to make it work. And have fun doing it in the process, since I have been facinated with the paper patch anyway. I believe this is the next step in casting to expand your knowledge and experience.

Have Fun Shooting,
Jon

EDK
11-02-2007, 04:41 AM
I got to talk to Powderburnerr (Dean) and Kurt (from Shiloh web site) and Mr. Bryan at the Quigley shoot plus got Randolph Wright and Orville Loomer's books on paper patch. (Thanks again for the drawing of the factory 50 boolit.) There's a poster called cas on shilohrifle using a Kalynuik mould for a 50/90 like mine and he has shared some information also. I'm still trying to figure out what I want in a mould.

Sometimes you have to go to several web sites for information. Or go to Quigley and do a little talking and a lot of listening. Just try not to shoot too close to bobw---he shoots a 50/140 paper patch with a 30 inch barrel. It knocks down the grass and rattles YOUR fillings when HE shoots...and hits what he's aiming at!

Anybody with suggestions for my 50 mould, feel free to jump in.

:castmine:

pdawg_shooter
11-03-2007, 09:01 AM
I dont do black powder, lazy I guess. I have patched everything from 22 through 45 cal and really like it. One of my favorite loads is the Lyman 311446 (152gr) over 58gr of AA2700 in my 06. Shoots just under 1 inch for 5 at 100yds. Using an alloy of 14.3 BN makes a good deer and coyote load.

powderburnerr
11-03-2007, 11:46 PM
Jon ,
I shot some 20-1 in the BACO bullet and at 105 gns it started to show a little promise but not real good yet . 112 didnt help it at all . so i am going to run the 105 load with a couple different variables . see if that helps..Shooting some of the 40-1 stuff in the 70 was pretty good about 1.5 moa to 2 moa seems to be a little touchy on how it is shot. .....Dean

bigborefan
11-04-2007, 07:58 AM
Jon K,
Glad to see you took the plunge with the BACO PP mould. I don't think you'll be sorry. The Shiloh website had a thread about it that got me interested. I had been using a tapered PP bullet that was closer to groove dimensions and wanted to see what all the talk about bore PP bullets was about. In my limited experimenting with the BACO bullet, I have found that it likes the heavier charges over the lighter ones. Loads in the 90-94 grains range have worked great in my 45/90 so far. If you wipe between shots like I do, you can get away with no lube wad. It shoots about the same either way. By the way, nice pictures. They look good enough for a magazine or book cover picture in an article on paper patching. Good luck with your new bullet.
Darrell

Jon K
11-04-2007, 12:00 PM
bigborefan,

I have been following the PP threads here and on the Shiloh forum. I liked the info and pics you posted there.
I just loaded some 20/1, 30/1 & 40/1 for testing, I'll try them out this coming week. I do wipe between shots, I have my test loads w/.5ml lube sandwiched between wads. I am starting out w/84.5 grains Goex Express FFG. I'll try loading some w/o lube.

Thanks for tips,
Jon

Jon K
11-09-2007, 11:45 AM
Got to shoot some PP loads yesterday, I almost didn't go to the range after reading some posts here and on the Shiloh board. I realized I need to recut PP, I wrapped up to straight od of the boolit, should have wrapped over the Ogive, not all were the same size to make things worse, but I figured I need to learn the hard way, so here goes:
Loaded 20:1, 30:1, 40:1 with 84.5 gr FFG Goex Express, 45-90 Starline brass (new/annealled), .5ml lube between wads, boolit seated .200 in the case.

Looks like this boolit design likes the harder alloy 20:1 showed the most promise. The load looks too light, the case did not seal. I will make adjustments to paper wrapping & size, along with more powder next time. Here are the pics@100yds...........

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l101/Jon_K_2006/DSC_0002-6.jpg
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l101/Jon_K_2006/DSC_0001-6.jpg

Adjustments and 200 & 300 yd test next time.

Jon

powderburnerr
11-09-2007, 01:22 PM
20-1 worked a lot better for me as well ,, but i still need to go harder .. one of the guys on the Shiloh forum mailed me he was using #2 alloy and 18-1 with even better results .. of course that is with a little more powder . your 40 -1 group is 1/3 of mine ,, I also had a friend in Penn send me a picture of a recovered bullet from 40-1 and it showed rifling marks all the way to the nose .. I would have to say it slumped ... your 20-1 looks good ... Dean

The Dust Collector
11-09-2007, 10:25 PM
It's all about being independent. I've never really cared about what someone else does, or thinks for that matter. Rolling your own is a labor of love, either you have the will or you don't. To my dismay many people think that all things must come easily and quickly or they're not interested. Their loss! I've not purchased " Store bought " bullets for a very long time and have not missed them in the slightest. The Few, The Proud, The Knowing. We can be our own click. Over time others will find this forum, and maybe find intrest, THEN we will be there to guide them, and then we may increase our tribe! Have faith and stay the course!
DUST

BTW Cherry, I haven't forgot the pics.

Jon K
11-09-2007, 11:24 PM
I did have fun and enjoy rolling my own.........[smilie=s::cool::lovebooli:castmine:

Jon

pdawg_shooter
11-10-2007, 10:46 AM
Hell, anyone can buy a Sierra or Burger and make them shoot. Taking a bucket of old wheel weights, a bit of paper and getting the bullet to be just as accurate and preform as well as the best jacketed bullet is very satisfying, to me anyway. And when that deer or hog or elk drops I fell real proud of myself!