PDA

View Full Version : Athens Ohio casters

hagel
10-04-2013, 06:21 AM
Just trying to find out if there are any casters near Athens Ohio. Thinking about trying to put together a local group just to share info, kick tires, tell lies and drink coffee.

So, anybody out there?

birddog1148
10-04-2013, 07:07 AM
I used to live in Junction City, up on Lake Erie now.

hagel
10-05-2013, 12:33 PM
So, uhh....you're a real good swimmer?

Seriously, where abouts up there are you? Anywhere near Victory White Metals?

birddog1148
10-05-2013, 08:03 PM
So, uhh....you're a real good swimmer?

Seriously, where abouts up there are you? Anywhere near Victory White Metals?
Actually I am (or was) a good swimmer, have a varsity letter from the University of Toledo, and competed in Athens against OU many years ago. Not sure where Victory White Metals is, Sandusky is half way between Cleveland and Toledo and is where Cedar Point is.

country gent
10-05-2013, 08:13 PM
Northwest ohio here actually Toledo area.

hagel
10-06-2013, 10:05 PM
Wife is from Cleveland. East side actually. I used to work a steel mill in Elyria back when mastodons roamed the earth. It was a long time ago.

So anyhow, what do you cast?

Actually I am (or was) a good swimmer, have a varsity letter from the University of Toledo, and competed in Athens against OU many years ago. Not sure where Victory White Metals is, Sandusky is half way between Cleveland and Toledo and is where Cedar Point is.

birddog1148
10-07-2013, 05:47 AM
I have several .30 molds that for several rifles, a 12 slug mold, 8x57 mold (still need the .329 sizing die), and a 9mm /380 mold. I am still a noob though.

hagel
10-07-2013, 09:09 PM
Yep, I've cast **** off and on over the years. Never anything serious though. Getting ready to change all that.

madsenshooter
10-08-2013, 12:18 AM
I'm from the little town of Murray City, in the middle of Wallace O'Doud wildlife area. Nice of that city guy to leave the state enough money to buy up that coal company land. I'll bet the Sunday Creek Coal Company was real pleased. When I worked at Hocking College many years ago I saw maps that had the whole area classified as wasteland, and the deceased O'Doud didn't pay wasteland prices for that 6000 acres. It'd be nice if we could get a group started to shoot cast bullet matches, nearest Cast Bullet Association club is in S. MI. Besides living around here most all my life, I was going to school at OU in the 90s where I spent too much time with back issues of the American Rifleman at Alden library!

I'm also an old printer, with some knowledge of typemetals, and a mechanical inclination. I have some very interesting mold cutting cherries too, but only a few. I'd be happy to drink some of your coffee, drop me a PM.

hagel
10-08-2013, 06:34 AM
Murry City, that's only about 18 miles from Athens. Hell, for this list that makes us neighbors. Yep we should get together. Won't be soon though. I got a long honey do list and a lot of work getting everything set up to start the bullet casting business.We will need to get together though. I like the idea of setting up some sort of local group that shoots old slow cartridges. I've got one of those H&R 38-55 target rifles they made for a couple of years. Also got one of their 30-30s. Got the 38-55 set up with Williams target rear sight and the stock front aperture. Set the 30-30 up with a Williams target rear and a blade front. Bought some NBC bullets and tried a few Cowboy loads using 4895. Never really got either of them sorted out though before life got in the way. I need and excuse to do that.

Do an advanced search for my posts on here and you'll get a better idea of what I'm up to right now. Kind of interested in those mold cherries. We will need to talk.

madsenshooter
10-08-2013, 11:36 AM
The cherries are from an old fellow no longer with us, by the name of Don Eagan. He sorta catered to the benchrest cast bullet shooters. Lubing would be a pain as the bullets are tapered. His solution was a tapered sizing/lube die for the Lyman 450. His designs were something else, he made use of the G2 drag function and they've won a lot of matches. Here's a pic of the cherries I have and one of what sort of 100yd groups one can get with his bullets. Nose pour bullets rule, if you ask me.

I shot a 118yr old Krag mostly, but have a Garand, a Swiss K31 that's a super shooter with Eagan's bullets, and some other odds and ends. One of the Krags goes to Camp Perry each year, but I've not shot cast there yet.

When you have some time, drop me a PM and I'll send my phone # back to you. I already checked out what you're up to, right up my alley! I do so love playing with molten metal! Been addicted to it since I watched great grandpa make sinkers using an old blowtorch to melt the lead.

Iron Mike Golf
10-08-2013, 12:12 PM
Hi. I'm from the Akron/Canton area and have vacationed and bow hunted the Hocking region a few years back. Real nice area down there. Kinda place I could retire to.

A cast boolit shoot sounds fun.

hagel
10-09-2013, 09:34 PM
Well, it will probably be next summer before I have time to even think about a cast bullet shoot. Just do an advanced search for Hagel as exact name and check the posts box to see what I mean. Of course by then I should have plenty of cast bullets.

I'll start poking around to see if I can find some range time.

Hi. I'm from the Akron/Canton area and have vacationed and bow hunted the Hocking region a few years back. Real nice area down there. Kinda place I could retire to.

A cast boolit shoot sounds fun.

madsenshooter
10-10-2013, 10:42 AM
At his point I have to declare my availability to be the one and only "official" product tester for your company. All other volunteers will have to be "unofficial". I'll try to keep an eye on developments, be sure to let me know when the machines are running. They're probably not as fascinating as a Linotype, but still interesting I'm sure. Might keep me around for several cups of coffee. In the meantime, if you need any help with a project, I work for boolits.

Pb Burner
10-10-2013, 12:16 PM
I'm not in Ohio, but close to you. I'm about 45 miles east of you. I'm between Parkersburg and Marietta. My wife and I "did" like to ride bicycles. Our favorite place to ride was the bike trail from Athens to Nelsonville. Last two summers life has got in the way and the bikes are kinda "dusty".
Also my favorite hunting handgun came from a little 3 "chain" gun store by you(Nelsonville store).
I've followed your threads from the beginning. Sounds like you are making great progress. I've never posted because I'm a fairly new caster,(long time reloader), and really, had nothing constructive to add in. Just drooling at the thought of a automated casting machine..lol I think your way ahead of me!
As for the cast boolit shoot, I would love to attend if you get it together and I get a break in my schedule, but I mostly shoot handguns for recreation and a little hunting. Closest thing I have to what your talking about is a recently acquired 1894/44mag, not much experience or luck with it yet. Looking for a mold for a 30/06 now, that's never had cast shot out of it, but I'll change that soon.
I would LOVE to see your machines run someday. If you need a tester, PM me, if I can help in that respect it would be fun. Also have a few buddies that reload, will drum you up a little business when you are up and running!
I wish you the best of luck in your new business venture!

Ohio Rusty
10-10-2013, 05:49 PM
I'm a little farther north than most of you. I'm in Hocking county. 10 miles to Nelsonville, 10 miles to Logan or 10 miles to New Lex. Right smack dab in the middle of them. I haven't had much time to play as I've fortunately been working steady and working 6 days a week. I'll take it while I can get it -- the future is no longer a sure thing. I only reload for a couple pistol calibers. Both the wife and I like to do the blackpowder thing. I shoot a smoothbore musket and she likes to play with her .45 flint rifle and her .80 caliber flint blunderbuss !! Definitely a hoot to shoot !!
Ohio Rusty ><>

Firebricker
10-10-2013, 06:24 PM
Rusty, I killed my first turkey right around New Lexington nice area. FB

hagel
10-10-2013, 09:38 PM
My wife has a blunderbuss too. This one is the real deal. We took it to the museum in Marietta and the fellow there that does old guns went through it and explained where all the parts came from. Apparently way back when they never threw anything that had a little life left in it away. Instead they just recycled the parts into the next firearm. This thing is scary old though. We never have shot it.

I understand the busy thing. One of these days we'll have to get together. My wife would really get a kick out of seeing your wife's blunderbuss.

hagel
10-10-2013, 09:40 PM
Once I get the machines singing and dancing I'll throw together a few videos. Can't wait!