PDA

View Full Version : Anti-seize for breech plugs?

Sweetpea
10-03-2013, 11:22 PM
Is there any reason to use the high-dollar stuff the T/C and the like sell in a little tube, or am I just fine using the automotive grade stuff, like I've been doing?

I came across about 6 jars of it years ago, for free...

smoked turkey
10-04-2013, 12:33 AM
I find the automotive "silver" anti-seize to be messy and I don't much like working with it, but that said I use it and have not had any trouble with it in preforming its necessary duty. I can't bear forking out the money for the high-dollar stuff either.

fouronesix
10-04-2013, 12:36 AM
I picked up two or three of the little tubes of the T/C anti seize breech plug stuff a couple of years ago for 10 cents ea in a wallyworld sale bin. It simply looks like fine teflon particles suspended in a regular oil to me. I tried it a few times and couldn't tell any great advantage. I've tried quite a few different things over the years, but found heavy synthetic grease to work best.

The automotive stuff I'm familiar with isn't that cheap and is different in that it usually has very fine particles of something like aluminum suspended in a thicker oil or grease. It does work extremely well for preventing galling and seizing of high pressure/high torque threads.

nanuk
10-04-2013, 01:00 AM
I've used standard HP wheel bearing grease for awhile, and I always use lots, and have never had a breechplug get stuck in my inline.

did I mention I use lots?

I always touch off a handful of primers before loading powder for hunting.

waksupi
10-04-2013, 11:54 AM
I use the automotive type all the time. Breech plugs, and vent liners. A tube is more than a life time supply!

Green Lizzard
10-04-2013, 12:16 PM
i use my home made bullet lube, i have found that it dont matter as long as all the thread are full (use a lot)

Hardcast416taylor
10-04-2013, 01:16 PM
I believe the automative type you mention is made by Permatex corp. I used the daylights of this type when I worked on fittings when dealing with steam and molten irons in a foundry. I continue to use this stuff, silver color be darned, on my choke tubes in shotguns and my muzzleloaders that have plugs to remove for cleaning, or on about any other part on guns or farm equipment when I don`t want things to seize up. Birchwood Casey makes a type of this lube called choke tube anti-seize. Same stuff actually, just has a brand name on it, probably others out there with different trade names on them.Robert

fouronesix
10-04-2013, 01:32 PM
Here 'tis. One of the automotive types that works really well for intended purpose. After use look in mirror, check face, nose, hat, clothes, etc. :)

OverMax
10-04-2013, 01:40 PM
What ever. So long as it works is the main thing.
I've used Permatex silver anti-seize for so long its little 2-1/2 gram tube actually outlasted the business I bought it from. {how's that sound for a reference.} And I still haven't run that tube dry yet.

shredder
10-04-2013, 01:47 PM
Personally I get a lot of blowback when I use any type of grease and I have tried them all. Since I clean with hot water, and the grease just melts all over everything with the fouling, a mess ensues.

I now use the pink gas fitter's high pressure tape. 1 layer wrapped around the threads and no blowback, easy out, no mess at all. Just what works for me.

waksupi
10-04-2013, 03:35 PM
Personally I get a lot of blowback when I use any type of grease and I have tried them all. Since I clean with hot water, and the grease just melts all over everything with the fouling, a mess ensues.

I now use the pink gas fitter's high pressure tape. 1 layer wrapped around the threads and no blowback, easy out, no mess at all. Just what works for me.

I would worry about shooting that gun. It sounds like it isn't breeched correctly.

Pb2au
10-04-2013, 05:06 PM
In my short lived experimentation with a Remington inline, I used automotive anti seize and it worked fine. Just a dab will do it.
Ironically, I just sold my inline today.

randyrat
10-05-2013, 01:40 PM
I could not live without my Permatex anti seize. Same stuff that is in the pic above. I use it on everything around here that is metal on metal including my muzzle loader breach plug. With the salt on the roads around here anything attached to the under side of the vehicle has Anti seize on the threads and when needed it comes off without twisting bolts.

Hardcast416taylor
10-05-2013, 02:45 PM
Information FYI. I buy my Permatex anti-seize by the 1 lb. can. If you allow the can to sit unused for a month or more the yellowish oil in the mixture will seperate and rise to the top just like cream on milk. All you need do is stir it back into the can with the brush in the can lid or a piece of wood. The anti-seize will tend to go dry and grainy without this oil mixed back in, this problem probably doesn`t happen in the small sized tubes.Robert

John Boy
10-05-2013, 03:23 PM
Have used the Permatex Anti-Seize on the nipples for my percussion cap & ball revolvers for years. I clean all my black powder firearms with a steam hand cleaner - dry and oil wipe. The nipples are removed - cleaned and new anti-seize applied about every 6 months, whether they need it or not.
I shoot 200+ rounds a month and never have had a frozen nipple

fouronesix
10-05-2013, 03:25 PM
In my short lived experimentation with a Remington inline, I used automotive anti seize and it worked fine. Just a dab will do it.
Ironically, I just sold my inline today.

:):)
I don't even know why I posted in this thread which was obviously "aimed" at addressing inline breech plugs. I bought a really good inline about 15 years ago and quite shooting it about 14 years ago. Finally sold it about 2 years ago- like many, was just curious about what all the hype was about. Just cleaning the thing including fiddling with the breech plug each time along with no great advantage to the type of hunting or shooting I like- got real old, real quick.... so out the door and no regrets. Really, for anything like a nipple or vent liner you could apply any type anti seize with a toothpick. So now I just use a small dab of heavy synthetic grease for that.

I use the automotive anti seize for other purposes like my truck and tractor.

10 ga
10-05-2013, 11:54 PM
I use the copper type and "silver" type anti seize on the nipples, cleanout plugs and ventliners and use the PTFE tape, (white, yellow or pink, whatever fits in 2 wraps) on the breech plugs, anti seize is OK there too. I have 6 smokeless MLs and 8 smokers and if you don't use antiseize or PTFE ya get stuck parts. I have also helped a lot of ML shooters, BP & sub and SML, get stuff unstuck and the 50-50 ATF-acetone for penetrating soak and a good air wrench or a hammer and breaker bar will get most loose. Having a good fitting tool is important and I regularly have to "make" a tool, socket, fitting to fit some part to get stuck stuff loose. 10

Wilkie
10-06-2013, 12:35 AM
Information FYI. I buy my Permatex anti-seize by the 1 lb. can. If you allow the can to sit unused for a month or more the yellowish oil in the mixture will seperate and rise to the top just like cream on milk. All you need do is stir it back into the can with the brush in the can lid or a piece of wood. The anti-seize will tend to go dry and grainy without this oil mixed back in, this problem probably doesn`t happen in the small sized tubes.Robert

You buy by the 1lb can! I clearly don't shoot enough.....

Lefty SRH
10-06-2013, 09:08 AM
I don't have an in-line but I have a flinchlock with a touch hole liner. I've just used the Bore Butter to lubricate the threads. I put it on the threads of the nipples of my Ruger Old Army when I had it.

FergusonTO35
10-09-2013, 09:13 AM
I've been reading this with interest because I'm trying to figure out what my breech plug regimen should be for my NEF Huntsman. Last night I cleaned and lubed the rifle no problem. I soaked the breech plug in the hot water I cleaned the rifle with, then scrubbed as much of the fouling off as I could. I then gave it a good squirt of WD-40. I applied Hoppe's gun grease to the threads inside the barrel. I stored the rifle with the breech plug not installed, I figure there's no reason to do so. Does this sound like a good idea? It seems like if the breech plug is not installed it can't seize up in storage.

Rattus58
10-13-2013, 06:40 PM
Is there any reason to use the high-dollar stuff the T/C and the like sell in a little tube, or am I just fine using the automotive grade stuff, like I've been doing?

I came across about 6 jars of it years ago, for free...I use typical automotive thread compounds all the time but if you shoot alot, have threads or breech plugs that are old you can still get a stuck breech plug from time to time. What I do with my inlines is I keep in our case (white) a box wrench that I just make sure keeps the plug loose and I've also a ratchet and extension to make sure. Teflon tape and anti-sieze seems to solve a lot of problems as well and I've been using pink plumbers tape for years now as well.

Aloha... :cool::grin:

Muddydogs
10-14-2013, 11:41 AM
I've been reading this with interest because I'm trying to figure out what my breech plug regimen should be for my NEF Huntsman. Last night I cleaned and lubed the rifle no problem. I soaked the breech plug in the hot water I cleaned the rifle with, then scrubbed as much of the fouling off as I could. I then gave it a good squirt of WD-40. I applied Hoppe's gun grease to the threads inside the barrel. I stored the rifle with the breech plug not installed, I figure there's no reason to do so. Does this sound like a good idea? It seems like if the breech plug is not installed it can't seize up in storage.

There are no issues storing your rifle without the breech plug. I store mine apart because the first thing I need to do before assembly is to dry the oil out of the bore. I would suggest doing away with the WD 40 and using a good gun oil to protect the bore.

I also us the auto anti seize stuff on my plug and nipple threads. I put some of the anti seize in a small bottle then cut the handle off a small parts grease brush which I also keep in another bottle. The brush makes it easy and mess free to apply a little anti seize to the threads.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
10-15-2013, 10:50 AM
I have used the Permatex silver and copper , I started with the choke tube anti size they recomended at gander mountain when i got my first inline , it had to go backn and have them fix the lockup the break action NEF would unlock durring recoil , they also got to get the breach plug out as it was glued in good , they did both the gun smith said use some real anti size , i used the copper permatex after that and all has been good for many years , yes it is messy but better messy than stuck

if you go to napa they sell a small can of the anti seize with a cap that has a brush , even that may be a lifetime supply if you don't take it out of your shooting box and use it for other things then loose it like i have

the only danger i see in storing things separate is that like so many guns at gun shows missing magazines for sale things stored separate get lost

jonk
10-18-2013, 10:05 AM
I just use whatever grease I have on hand. Never an issue.

John Allen
10-18-2013, 10:25 AM
I use Never seize as I have a big can from restoring cars. I have not had any problems.

double8
10-19-2013, 07:40 PM
I built a rifle years ago....Zouave type, home made, not a kit. I used Teflon tape when I put the breech plug in. I took it apart for the first time a month ago. A little force with a breech wrench backed that plug right out.

double8
10-19-2013, 07:44 PM
There are no issues storing your rifle without the breech plug. I store mine apart because the first thing I need to do before assembly is to dry the oil out of the bore. I would suggest doing away with the WD 40 and using a good gun oil to protect the bore.

I also us the auto anti seize stuff on my plug and nipple threads. I put some of the anti seize in a small bottle then cut the handle off a small parts grease brush which I also keep in another bottle. The brush makes it easy and mess free to apply a little anti seize to the threads.
I've been using Marvel Mystery oil in my barrels for 40 years.....no rust, ever. It's a mystery, but it works.!!

Rattus58
10-19-2013, 09:13 PM
I've been using Marvel Mystery oil in my barrels for 40 years.....no rust, ever. It's a mystery, but it works.!!Yup... and follow it up with Lucas has been working for me too...

altheating
10-19-2013, 10:31 PM
I use Blue Monster thread seal tape. Not messy and no blow by through the threads.

44man
10-22-2013, 10:20 AM
NO WD-40 ON A GUN unless you like rust and seized parts.
Nipples, etc, lock up from BP leakage in threads.
I have two pint cans of anti seize, one moly based and one copper, either works on guns but for spark plugs in aluminum engines I use only the copper for electric conduction.
The reason anti seize works best is it has particles in it to fill gaps in threads.

OnHoPr
10-23-2013, 05:59 PM
I have been using the automotive anti-seize grease after the (came with) gorilla grease was emptied on the encore and it works just fine.

shredder
10-23-2013, 10:01 PM
I would worry about shooting that gun. It sounds like it isn't breeched correctly.

You mean aboth my remington 700 ML and my TC break action? Not likely, they are very high quality rifles. The tape I use seals the threads off better than any grease.