PDA

View Full Version : 2 New Lee Molds for My 1858 Remington

Maven
10-03-2013, 02:48 PM
After firing the revolver targets for record in Pat Iffland's September CBA ML postal match, I noticed that the cast .451" RB's (Lee mold) weren't leaving a lead ring behind as they were seated in the [Euroarms] 1858 Remington's chambers.* Although they were fairly accurate, the absence of the lead ring bothered me. After cleaning the gun, I decided to slug both the chambers and the bbl.: Both came to .451". Thinking a larger projectile was needed, I looked at both Lee Precision & Titan Reloading's offerings and ordered both a .454" RB mold and a 452-160-RF, a "ballette" listed under 45 ACP, 45 AR, 45 Colt (http://leeprecision.com/bullet-casting/hand-gun-bullet-molds/bullet-mold-double-cavity/). Both new style Lee molds arrived quickly and in perfect condition thanks to Titan's efficient shipping. I just got finished casting, culling, and weighing the droppings of both molds and am pleased with how well they work. Moreover, both the RB (137grs. in fact) and ballette (165grs. in fact) fit my revolver's cylinder with ease. Btw, I intend to test the latter seated normally and reversed (easier to seat that way) to see if there's any difference in accuracy. Whether the larger RB and ballette (sized to .452", but .453" as cast of "pure" Pb) are more accurate than the .451" RB's remains to be seen.

*Armi San Paolo

As for the molds themselves, the 452-160-RF was perfect, needing only minor deburring of the sprue plate. The .454 RB mold, however, shouldn't have left the factory as the blocks wouldn't close tightly. Pushing the locating pins out a bit more and in farther did nothing. Removing them to allow the mating surfaces of the mold to be trued, and then replacing them (to their original length) didn't work either. As a last resort, I took the now reassembled mold, sans sprue plate (also needed deburring) and squeezed it in my bench vise hoping to eliminate the problem; which it did! The now casts perfectly and uniformly with only the slightest hint of a seam on the RB (front cav. and only if I pour with the ladle in contact with the sprue plate).

Good Cheer
10-03-2013, 10:59 PM
Thanks for the info and vise idea.

Maven
10-04-2013, 12:19 PM
You're most welcome! But please realize it was a last resort, which in this case, ended [very] well.