PDA

View Full Version : 311299 won't chamber in 30-06 rem 760

farmbif
10-02-2013, 03:39 PM
I am fairly new to reloading with home cast boolits but have been reloading everything I shoot including shotshell, pistol and rifle for 39 years now thanks to my dad (may he rest in peace) getting me involved when I was a kid. I am having problem chambering 30-06 reloads topped with booloits cast with lyman mould 311299 lube sized in lyman 4500 with H&I .310 size die. COL is exactly what is called for in Lyman 49th manual. The cases are resized within spec and checked in Wilson case /headspace gauge. Possibly someone with more experience has some suggestions.

Blammer
10-02-2013, 03:41 PM
check the nose diameter on the seated projectile, when sizing it you may have "squashed" the nose and made it a bit fatter.

Are there engraving marks on the nose of the bullet?

Jailer
10-02-2013, 04:01 PM
I run mine through a Lee .310 sizing die to size and seat gas checks before I run them through the lubesizer.

Make a dummy round and mark it up with a felt pen if you're having a hard time seeing where it's hanging up.

Piedmont
10-02-2013, 04:11 PM
You may just need to seat it deeper. See where there is burnishing/engraving on the bullet or case. You may want to mark it all up with a magic marker and try to rechamber, then look it over after extracting. It is also possible that you bumped the nose up in your lubrisizer when sizing. If that is the case the nose will be heavily engraved.

243winxb
10-02-2013, 09:10 PM
Are you expanding the necks with a Lyman "M" die or something else? COL may be to long, like said by others.

jgt
10-03-2013, 05:41 PM
Are you using a small base die set? Remington automatics and pump guns need a small base die to size the brass with. The standard die used for bolt action guns won't work for reloading.

farmbif
10-03-2013, 09:45 PM
THANKS FOR ALL THE GREAT ADVICE, THIS WEEKEND I'LL HAVE A CHANCE TO GET BACK TO IT AND MARK THE BULLET WITH AMRKER AND SEE WHERE IT IS CATCHING, I HAD SIZED WITH A STANDARD LEE SIZING DIE BUT I DO HAVE A rcbs SMALL BASE DIE SET AND WILL TRY LOADING A ROUND WITH THAT AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS, THANKS AGAIN

knifemaker
10-03-2013, 10:46 PM
Farmbif the odds are that your problem may be the ogive is hitting the lands due to being seated to far out as stated by others above. As for the small base dies, I would stick with the standard dies unless you are sure the case needs to be sized smaller in the rear portion in order to seat in the chamber.
I have a 760 Rem. that I have been reloading for many years and I use a standard set of RCBS 30-06 dies and have no problem with the case not being sized correctly.

dondiego
10-04-2013, 10:46 AM
My Rem. 760 needs to have the case sized completely in order to properly chamber. Any brass that is partially sized or not completely run into the sizing die will not chamber easily even if the brass was shot out of the same gun.

milkman
10-04-2013, 11:47 AM
You might try dropping a sized, but not loaded case into the chamber. That will tell you if its the brass or the boolit.

mdi
10-04-2013, 01:16 PM
One essential for reloaders, and especially cast bullet reloaders, is a micrometer. You gotta know what you're working with (bullet diameter and case measurements).

Moonie
10-04-2013, 03:37 PM
Are you using a small base die set? Remington automatics and pump guns need a small base die to size the brass with. The standard die used for bolt action guns won't work for reloading.

Not had this problem with my sons 742, full length resize with standard Lee 30-06 die and everything chambers perfectly, every time. Granted I've not used the boolit in question in this thread just stating that you don't always have to have a small base die. I don't use them for any of our various caliber AR's either.