PDA

View Full Version : What is it about coyotes?

novalty
10-02-2013, 08:24 AM
Early this morning around 2:00am woke to the sound of a couple coyotes yipping and crying. Sounded like they were right in my back yard. Flipped on the flood light and all I could see were my father's herefords laying down in the field. Shined my mag-light across, but didn't pick up any extra sets of eyes. I don't know what it is about coyotes, but hearing them gives me the instant feeling I need to go out and shoot them. Whereas my father's cows looked like they were more irritated by the flood light being turned on, than having the coyotes near.

cricco
10-02-2013, 09:10 AM
Got a cow that's about to calf? Coyotes around here will hang around until the cow gives birth. I've seen them rip a calf away from momma that was only half out.

GRUMPA
10-02-2013, 09:24 AM
The wife loves chickens, now we have them penned up and the yotes still try and dig under the fencing at times. A couple of times I've watched a group of yotes walk in the back, take up strategic locations behind the trees while 1 walks back and forth in the back trying to bait the dogs to chase it. That happens a lot around here and folks loose a lot of pets that way.

The calf part I never witnessed but it's open cattle range here and almost anytime of the year I can look out the front window and see more than 100 of them and the population doesn't seem to decrease, so I guess the calves are doing OK.

Yotes around here get kinda thick at times, amazing how much practice I get when they get called in every now and then.

GabbyM
10-02-2013, 09:42 AM
Several of the dairy farms around here have taken to keeping a Donkey in the pasture with there cows. Donkeys have an instinctive dislike for coyote. They'll wait until the yotes are pre occupied with taking down a calf then charge blindsiding them. From what I hear when they're done with a yote it's in several pieces and flat. Since this is Amish country they've taken to breeding the Jacks with draft horses to make some very attractive big mules. Don't see them working the mules so I'd guess most are marketed off. At any rate those Jacks earn there hay and oats.

Coyotes around here are silent. rural population is very heavy with the small Amish homesteads. Coyote are known to keep silent when around dense populations. Amish hunt the coyotes with dogs or varmint rifles. Dogs actually do a serious bit of population control. Several dog breeders with gather for a hunt. creating a huge dog pack. When they tear through a section of woods it's mayhem. They just let the dogs do the killing and generally don't' even bother bringing guns. We are starting the last eight ten years or so to see a few gray fox back in the area. Yotes killed them out when they first came in during the 1970's as the deer heard spread into this area. I went about twenty years without seeing a single fox. Now it's about a monthly occurrence to catch one in headlights. All for keeping lots of pressure on coyote populations. I never shoot at the foxes here. Just not enough of them yet.

novalty
10-02-2013, 10:34 AM
Well a couple acres of my back yard is part of my father's field. This past summer was the first time I've seen a gray fox in a long time. First caught site of him one afternoon when a bunch of crows were sqauwking like crazy and flying low to the ground. For some reason they were chasing him off. Later that same week he surprised my wife when she was hanging laundry at dusk--came out in field about 30 feet from her. This was when I first got a real good look at him, and he had a nice bushy coat. A week or so later it came out again at dusk while my kids were playing our little Wallyworld special pool. Our beagle scared it off at first, but it circled around and came back about 10 minutes later. We haven't seen it since mid-July now.

300savage
10-02-2013, 10:47 AM
what is it about coyotes? well God knew rednecks were going to need something to blast in the off season, and he made them dastardly enough that it is immensely satisfying..

yep He loves us.

MtGun44
10-02-2013, 01:38 PM
I like 300Savage's view of the situation!

Just remember that every morning a predator wakes up and thinks "I need to find something to kill." Every day.
Your pets are just more food to them.

Bill

300savage
10-02-2013, 02:57 PM
hmmm,, mtgun i aint far off that mark myself..
right after a cup of coffee though, ive mellowed some.

leeggen
10-02-2013, 03:11 PM
We keep a donkey with the goats plus a great Pyr. dog. Between the 2 we haven't lost a goat to the yotes in 10 yr. Fun to watch the donkey and dog when a yote is close by, the dog goes 1/2 way between goats and yote then the donkey takes point between dog and yotes. The yotes just hang their head and walk away to look else where for a meal.
Also have a great pry and a Basingee that take a chase to the yotes. The basengee is the alfa dog in the yote community. He whipped the alfa coyote about 6 yr ago and he is still in charge. the yote hunt in a dif. area as these 2 will not allow it in our hollow.
CD

novalty
10-02-2013, 03:20 PM
Well my father separates out his cows that are pregnant and puts them in his barn when they are looking like they are getting close to calving. The herefords seem pretty resiliant to coyotes, and with about 25 of them they do a good job fending for themselves. Neighbor had a pig get in the field this summer, and they nearly killed it chasing it off.

10x
10-02-2013, 11:39 PM
Early this morning around 2:00am woke to the sound of a couple coyotes yipping and crying. Sounded like they were right in my back yard. Flipped on the flood light and all I could see were my father's herefords laying down in the field. Shined my mag-light across, but didn't pick up any extra sets of eyes. I don't know what it is about coyotes, but hearing them gives me the instant feeling I need to go out and shoot them. Whereas my father's cows looked like they were more irritated by the flood light being turned on, than having the coyotes near.

This is a coyote in my backyard

coblake
10-02-2013, 11:57 PM
Hell, try wolves all night, when you are in a tent.

10x
10-03-2013, 12:06 AM
Hell, try wolves all night, when you are in a tent.

That would be entertaining.
I spent a summer working in Swan Hills, Alberta during a time when the grizzly population was at an all time high. Walking down stream beds to sampling sites carrying seine nets that reeked of fish and wearing hip waders was stressful. Just as we got the gear packed to hike into one sampling site on the Swan river we hear a grizzly roar. I turned to my partner Tom to see his reaction and there he was sitting in the truck in his hip waders and rolling up the window. He refused to go out on that site and we had to abandon it.

M-Tecs
10-03-2013, 12:12 AM
what is it about coyotes? well God knew rednecks were going to need something to blast in the off season, and he made them dastardly enough that it is immensely satisfying..

yep He loves us.

Hey I resemble that remark!!!!!!!!!

FISH4BUGS
10-03-2013, 09:06 AM
We listen to the coyotes sing on many nights. I don't shoot them, but the logger across the road does. He has gotten a couple of pups this year with a .222 (that's very sporting now isn't it?) but they are still here. I am concerned for the cats that are out all night but that's nature at work if the coyotes get them. The got a bunch of mary's chickens next door but she finally learned that free range chickens are not all that bright. She pens them up now.
Personally I live with them and enjoy their singing....now woodchucks are another story. Jihad against woodchucks does not accurately describe my battle with them.
There is something inherently pleasing about dumping a 36 round magazine full auto on a woodchuck running from the garden.

popper
10-03-2013, 10:06 AM
Most of the coyotes I've ever seen were hanging on fence lines. I do remember the shadow of the bear sniffing the tent in Coulter Bay when I was a kid.

oldred
10-03-2013, 12:53 PM
I hate Coyotes! The dang things were unheard of in this part of the country until just a few years ago but now they are all over the place here! We lose calves to them and nothing is safe outside, they yelp and howl down by a spring a couple of hundred yards from my house but only at night so I rarely see the stinkin things, I turn on a flood light and shoot at the B-tards but basically the light only illuminates the area enough so that I see that nothing else would be hit (I have managed to at least hit a couple of them). Just last night I was making plans to ambush these mangy scum, the plan is bait down by the spring, better lighting, closer in by way of a hunting blind and a 12 ga Rem 870 with mag loads but it won't make a dent in the population if I kill a dozen of them. Kill one and a dozen more will come to it's funeral and stay!

km101
10-03-2013, 04:00 PM
What is it about coyotes?

They will eat anything that you don't want them to! Doesn't matter if it's livestock, pets, kids, crops, fruits or vegetables! I have seen them eat or try to eat all of the above! They are cunning and can work in packs or alone to achieve their goals.

And they sometimes carry disease such as rabies or mange. But they make good targets and are smart enough to make hunting them a satisfying sport! So they are a hazard, a pain in the butt and a good sporting animal all in one!

oldred
10-03-2013, 04:09 PM
They are cunning that's for sure and you certainly got the pain-in-the-butt part right too! The thing is I NEVER see them here in the day time it's always after dark, I hate them so much I had considered poison but only briefly because of the danger of something else getting it but I will bust a cap on one without hesitation if I can see the danged things.

novalty
10-03-2013, 07:40 PM
Oldred, I have heard that they don't react to red colored flood lights. A local hear has set up a bait trap with motion sensor connected to a flood light, and said they would take off if you used a standard white spot light, but if you used a red one they would remain there. He has even set it up with a drive-way alarm that buzzes in the house, so he gets a heads up if he is sleeping.

dragonrider
10-03-2013, 09:46 PM
Here in Ma coyotes use to be rare, not any more, I used to hear them howling out in the wood behind my house almost every night, apparently they move on haven't heard them for a couple of years. In another part of town a friend of mine has them in his yard almost every night, he shot two one night as they were after his dog. Several times a year I almost his some with my truck. I hear about them all over town but not behind my place anymore. The wood behind my place is several thousand acres of state park and there is a lot animals out there, deer, turkey, rabbits, lots of raccoon etc. Should be prime feeding ground for coyote but I don't hear them anymore, I suppose they are still out there just howling where I cannot hear them.

starbits
10-04-2013, 02:34 AM
Had coyotes wake me at 2:30 this morning yipping up a storm. They were about 30 yards outside the fence and were driving the dogs nuts. Used one of Wiljen's flashlights on them and they shut up instantly. Watched two of them slink off by their eye reflections. Too many houses around here now a days to do any shooting from the house. I need to move some place new.

Starbits

Just Duke
10-04-2013, 03:04 AM
We need a farm and ranch forum. I'll ask the powers that be.

cricco
01-20-2014, 01:00 PM
I've hunted coyotes for years, and earned a bit of a name in my area as "the guy" for coyote problems. If your goal is simply to thin them out, I have found one very good solution. First, you need a meatsicle. You take some scraps, blood, guts, etc from a deer, a cow, or what have you. You fill a Rubbermaid trash can about 10-12 inches full. Then add water to just cover the scraps. Leave it overnight to freeze. Then you take the meatsicle to the pasture, field, etc. Dump it where you can see it with a scope, from your living room. Put a driveway monitor on a wooden stake near the meatsicle. When you hear it beep, start dropping them. Of course, this only works in rural areas where neighbors don't complain, but it works.

quilbilly
01-20-2014, 02:05 PM
Here is a case of mixed emotions for you. About four years ago we had coyotes all over then the mountain lions showed up (the state came in and had to "remove" five within a mile over a three month period) and ate all the coyotes. I guess lions think fresh dog is a fine meal. Didn't see or hear any coyotes for two years - not even a track. The coyotes started to come back and then last spring a female lion denned in back of our place and had three kittens. Coyotes and deer are gone again along with the beavers that flooded the creek. We had a great garden last summer with the deer gone.

Hawkeye45
01-20-2014, 03:43 PM
Had one "mark his territory" on the corner of our tent when camping in SE Oregon. Sure had my lab sitting at the tent flap on guard.

Mr. Ed

DRNurse1
01-20-2014, 04:05 PM
Scuttlebutt here is the insurance folks started the coyote population surge around here. Personally, I do not think they are that smart (insurance companies) and the coyotes simply moved in when the deer herds enlarged (follow the food and all that).

I have heard of mountain lions North of me but no tracks or stories down here. Truly said they are a formidable target and great for long range practice. That .222 idea is mighty sporting, but I hate to clean up or track so I recommend .308 and 30-30, but that comes from a pistol shooter.

I have seen an increased fox presence (I travel a lot at night) but only red, no grey, and I have yet to hear coyotes near me. And the deer herd is not shrinking much, though a couple of my neighbors are happy about the ease of filling their tags.

Gussy
01-20-2014, 04:20 PM
I've used a .222 for 30+ years. With SX bullets, they don't exit if you want a good hide. Many dogs have died trying to out run that .222.

dagger dog
01-20-2014, 05:23 PM
They protect them from the evil fur hunters and trappers here in the Hoosier state , season runs from October to March.

Watched a small bitch coyote drag down a spring fawn, thing was bawling to high heaven, the mother come busting through the brush with another fawn (it's twin) in tow and proceeded to stomp the living $#@* out of the coyote, all the time I was running toward the trail and hollering to try to spook it off, the coyote finally give it up and turned tail. Watched those two fawns all that summer along with their mother.

Can't figure out why the DNR classifies them as furbearers, they are getting to be a problem, one guy I talked to that raises a few beefs and some sheep told me he traps 20-25 a year.

CastingFool
01-20-2014, 09:02 PM
Last year, a friend who raises beef cattle lost one, maybe two calves to coyotes. We used to hear them howling in the winter, but not so much the last two years. I thought they had moved on, but apparently, not. Our two outside cats came up missing last November, and I managed to shoot a coyote with a 12 ga slug during deer season. We have had coyotes come very close to the house on several occasions, but never when I can get ahold of my rifle quickly enough.

DLCTEX
01-20-2014, 11:45 PM
I have witnessed coyotes killing calves on three occasions with me running toward them yelling. I also have worked on a ranch where we lost many calves to packs of coyotes . Some calves weighed over 400 pounds. We had large numbers of coyotes here until the red mange reduced their numbers drastically. Before the mange one trapper took 42 coyotes from one irrigation circle of peanuts. Seems coyotes love peanuts. When I lived about 25 miles outside Houston in a heavily populated area I saw as many as at least 100 in one 80 acre peanut field one night with a spotlight. People just would not believe there were so many in the neighborhood.

canthitsquat
01-21-2014, 12:15 AM
My Ruger #1 Varmint model with a Hornady V-Max 75gr. bullet going 3800+ fps, will flat destroy a "Yote.

MaryB
01-21-2014, 01:20 AM
There is still a bounty on coyotes here in my county, I get them in the backyard all the time, have dropped 6 with my 9mm pistol at close range(under 40 feet). Had a pack of 12 or more last fall hanging around.

ole 5 hole group
01-21-2014, 12:29 PM
There is still a bounty on coyotes here in my county, I get them in the backyard all the time, have dropped 6 with my 9mm pistol at close range(under 40 feet). Had a pack of 12 or more last fall hanging around.

Heard about Minnesota doing that a couple years ago - you must live in Chippewa County, as I think that is the only County offering a bounty of $10.00 per coyote. Right now a prime pelt is bringing $45.00 on the carcass from a lot of fur buyers and that price is a little lower than last year at this time of year.

For those interested - Minnesota does not require a license to harvest coyote - whether resident or non-resident, but does require a license for fox etc.

montana_charlie
01-21-2014, 01:57 PM
I am happy to hear coyotes singing at night. As long as they are around, it proves that wolves have not moved into the neighborhood.

My cows (and calves) have never had a problem with coyotes, but wolves would be a different story.

CM

smokeywolf
01-21-2014, 02:46 PM
We have plenty of yotes here in the suburban areas neighboring San Fernando Valley, CA. I hear them in the hills every night when the wolf and I go for our midnight walk. They're close enough so that when they manage to get hold of a cotton tail the yipping and squealing sounds like a Chinese fire drill.
Although we walked up on one a few weeks ago, they rarely cruise the neighborhood.

Back in the late 70s I had a small 3/4 Arab mare that was fast and agile. Used to chase yotes on horseback, just for sport; she loved it. If we came on a yote she'd focus on it and if I shifted my weight forward just a little and kissed her up, off we'd go.

smokeywolf

kootne
01-21-2014, 08:00 PM
I think some of you fellers need to get replacement stock from Montana range cattle. I had an ag related business in SW Mt. for nearly 20 years, worked with farmers and ranchers on a daily basis and this is the first I've ever heard of song dogs taking calves. Go out sometime and try to take a newborn calf away from an old range cow and she's liable to shove 5 gallons of snot up your rear end before you can get back in the truck.
kootne

starmac
01-21-2014, 09:32 PM
I have seen yotes take a calf while the cow was calving, it usually ended up ruining the cow. I am sure there are cases of them getting a young calf, but never witnessed it.
I knew sheep ranchers that kept a ******* or two to handle yotes, and even some that kept llamas.

montana_charlie
01-21-2014, 09:34 PM
she's liable to shove 5 gallons of snot up your rear end
Now THAT one made me snort ...
I liked it so well I may use it myself, someday.

starmac
01-21-2014, 09:57 PM
Try one of them big thicket raised brahma crosses some time, you sure don't have to mess with a calf for it to get exciting once in a while. lol

MaryB
01-22-2014, 01:33 AM
Yellow Medicine County, not sure if they renewed it for 2014.

Heard about Minnesota doing that a couple years ago - you must live in Chippewa County, as I think that is the only County offering a bounty of $10.00 per coyote. Right now a prime pelt is bringing $45.00 on the carcass from a lot of fur buyers and that price is a little lower than last year at this time of year.

For those interested - Minnesota does not require a license to harvest coyote - whether resident or non-resident, but does require a license for fox etc.

starmac
01-22-2014, 01:45 AM
I heard utah had a 50 dollar bounty a few years ago, I don't know if they still do or if it was the whole state or limited to a few counties. I have never seen hunting (year round shoot on site style) and trapping put a dent in established populations. Even back when it was legal for the ranchers to use cyanide bombs they could never clean them out.

William Yanda
01-22-2014, 12:05 PM
My Ruger #1 Varmint model with a Hornady V-Max 75gr. bullet going 3800+ fps, will flat destroy a "Yote.

Are you saying your name is ummm, misdirection?

white eagle
01-23-2014, 11:49 AM
The wife loves chickens, now we have them penned up and the yotes still try and dig under the fencing at times. A couple of times I've watched a group of yotes walk in the back, take up strategic locations behind the trees while 1 walks back and forth in the back trying to bait the dogs to chase it. That happens a lot around here and folks loose a lot of pets that way.

The calf part I never witnessed but it's open cattle range here and almost anytime of the year I can look out the front window and see more than 100 of them and the population doesn't seem to decrease, so I guess the calves are doing OK.

Yotes around here get kinda thick at times, amazing how much practice I get when they get called in every now and then.

I witnessed that one time while deer hunting late in the year
I was on a ridgeline looking down into a draw for deer when I saw 3 coyotes
two did exactly what you said staged themselves and the third went around a tangle of multiflora rose and pushed out a rabbit to the waiting yotes
Quite interesting really..Oh I did call one back and interrogate it with my 280 rem.

ole 5 hole group
01-23-2014, 02:09 PM
Go out sometime and try to take a newborn calf away from an old range cow and she's liable to shove 5 gallons of snot up your rear end before you can get back in the truck. kootne

Or - try milking a range cow. Participated in a couple of home style rodeo's and one event for extreme dumb arces was to try and obtain a pint of milk in a small bucket from a range cow. Bull riding is much, much safer.

montana_charlie
01-23-2014, 02:49 PM
Or - try milking a range cow. Participated in a couple of home style rodeo's and one event for extreme dumb arces was to try and obtain a pint of milk in a small bucket from a range cow. Bull riding is much, much safer.
Doing it in a competition almost guarantees it will fail. Too much stress ...

Realistically, people don't usually try to milk a dairy cow while she is standing out in a pasture.
To expect that to work with a range cow is rather naive ... unless you know your cows.

I have had several who would have stood still for it (I think), and I have milked quite a few - without any fighting - while confined in a headgate.

I have a 4 year-old Angus bull (right now) that I can reach under to jerk burrs out of his pizzle hair ... out in the pasture ... and he ain't no dairy animal. He isn't even 'trained' to do anything, either.
We just have this understanding ...

CM

Frank46
01-23-2014, 11:43 PM
We have them here in Louisiana. My area is a lot of cane fields so they hide in them during the day. Now that all the cane has been harvested their hiding places have dwindled somewhat. But this is still bayou country and they hide down there. When I take the dogs out late at night you can hear them talking. My pit bull Bob goes nuts so I have to bring him in. They are starting to build more houses in this area so their hiding places are fast disappearing. Frank

DLCTEX
01-24-2014, 12:07 AM
The coyote knows the cow will leave the calf to go to water and just waits until Mama is away and then makes his move. They will also attack in pairs or a group. While one draws the cow away the others attack the calf. They will attack relentlessly in a tag team manner until the cow is exhausted, or the calf is dead. The cow will give up after a while if there is no response from the calf. The coyote has all day or more to wait. They are very intelligent and if you fool him once and miss, you may never get another chance.

horsesoldier
01-24-2014, 02:04 AM
Got this one in a trap today. 300 yards from the house.Big male. You might have to zoom in on it, I didnt want to panic him before I dispatched him.Bridger number 3 trap, hay set with a dead chicken buried in the middle.http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m538/Andrew338win/Coyote_zpseba52eb7.jpg (http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/Andrew338win/media/Coyote_zpseba52eb7.jpg.html)

10x
01-24-2014, 10:06 AM
Got this one in a trap today. 300 yards from the house.Big male. You might have to zoom in on it, I didnt want to panic him before I dispatched him.Bridger number 3 trap, hay set with a dead chicken buried in the middle.http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m538/Andrew338win/Coyote_zpseba52eb7.jpg (http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/Andrew338win/media/Coyote_zpseba52eb7.jpg.html)

I am impressed. Coyotes are one of the most difficult animals to catch in a leg hold trap. They are very wary and learn quickly. In my youth we could not use snares as we were more likely to catch the neighbors dog. I released the same dog from my coyote sets a number of times when trapping using bait. Coyotes will kill and eat a dog they find in a trap as well.

Three44s
01-24-2014, 10:50 AM
First off: Horsesoldier ........ THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!

I am with DCLTEX on coyotes!

I have yet to meet a coyote that was a vegetarian by choice! I have seen them eat vegies in a pinch but otherwise ....... it's MEAT!

Now, every coyote is not a stock killer and certainly cows bent on ironing your socks will put coyotes off but as DCLTEX points out every mama HAS to go to water someday ......... and "junior" can't or won't always go.

I have witnessed or seen the aftermath of tons of takedowns by 'otes on calves.

But I'll just point out one that blows the Montana tough cow image out of the water:

We had a cow calve out from the main bunch and this is pretty normal ....... they don't like crowds when they are having a pain in the $@$@!

When we found her, the three .......... offenders were still there trying to get their teeth sunk into the calf and the mother was standing over her trampled calf ...... trampled by her ...... the coyotes were playing a draw game to try to enrage her to chase them while the other two were rushing in to get the prize.

Give me your toughest cow and tell me she'd make out fine in that situation.

I have had snot blown into every pocket I have ever owned by our cows ....... and the coyotes are still a threat!!

Another rancher, long since deceased SWORE that coyotes were NOT a problem ......

........... until one fine day, he rode up on a coyote that had a hold of one of his calves ....... on range no less ..... bigger calf.

The rancher bailed off his horse and there ...... the two, rancher and coyote were playing tug of war ........ the calf between them ......... it, the "rope".

Rancher converted!

You'll never get that "last" coyote ........ just like LEO will never get that "last" crook ........ but I say ...... you have to push back ...... I like coyotes on gopher duty ....... but I don't any use for an Alpha pair of stock killers.

Three 44s

DLCTEX
01-24-2014, 11:17 AM
If you have a bad yote problem then let me make you a deal on a few seed stock with red mange. Just introduce them into your population and let nature take over.

horsesoldier
01-24-2014, 05:37 PM
Trapping is hard work for sure. I think this is set number 9 or 10 that I made, and the only one I have caught so far. I was happy to get out of washington so I would have the opportunity to learn how to trap with snares and footholds. Now I just need more access to farm fields so I can get more!

helice
01-24-2014, 06:32 PM
Before we moved out of sub-urban Southern California we saw yotes almost every night. I had a little dog who had delusions of grandeur. He tried to take on a Rottweiler once, but he was a trembling mess when the yotes were near. I used to call walking a dog on a leash "Trolling for yotes". They worked in groups of three or four and they seemed to love house cats. An older woman who lived west of us had her leashed dog dragged off by a pair. She eventually had to let go the leash or get pulled along. When they caught some cat near our bedroom window there was the most spine chilling screams that seemed to last a lot longer than necessary for a killing. I found the front half of a cat carcass one morning. Took off the collar and delivered it to address on the tag. The lady of the house joined me in a mutual hatred of these opportunistic k-9s. They were thick in the San Bernardino suburbs.

Randy C
01-25-2014, 11:25 AM
10x we had the same problem, Coyote would sit in the yard and look through our glass back screen door, my wife shot at it and It run off our cat knocked the 22 over and moved the sights, those 22s have been on target since the sixty's and seventy's dam cat did it to every one we have there was blood on the ground so she hit it.

Idaho Mule
01-25-2014, 02:37 PM
Trapping is hard work for sure. I think this is set number 9 or 10 that I made, and the only one I have caught so far. I was happy to get out of washington so I would have the opportunity to learn how to trap with snares and footholds. Now I just need more access to farm fields so I can get more! Get in touch soon Andrew. I'm going out to smash some recycled wheel weights into one or more today. Good job on the trapping. JW

10x
01-25-2014, 05:51 PM
10x we had the same problem, Coyote would sit in the yard and look through our glass back screen door, my wife shot at it and It run off our cat knocked the 22 over and moved the sights, those 22s have been on target since the sixty's and seventy's dam cat did it to every one we have there was blood on the ground so she hit it.

never trust a cat...

Randy C
01-25-2014, 11:24 PM
Cats and woman are the same.

GabbyM
01-25-2014, 11:29 PM
Cats and woman are the same.

if that's true. Then why don't I like cats?

OMG I'll have to sign onto one of those lib sites to find out why I'm confused.

Menner
01-25-2014, 11:47 PM
Well I have never had the pleasure of having to deal with coyote's I am 50 yrs old and until about 5 years ago have never even heard of a coyote in the state of Delaware. We got em now and the state just pasted a season on them from Sept 1st to Feb 28th The state biologists estimate that there are 100 to 110 coyotes in the state now De. is pretty small and I don't know how much damage 100 coyotes can cause but I have a feeling that they think that there are a lot more than that or they would not have opened a season. I talked to the fur bearing supervisor (Biologist) last Oct. and he told me that he had never seen a live one in the state but had seen road kills and coyotes shot by farmers for attaching their animals he said that they are getting more prevalent and to expect a season soon.
I have a Remington 700 VLS in 204 Ruger that is one bad little SOB pushing real close to 4000 fps, last time I benched it, it shot a sub 1" 5 shot group at 200 yrds ( I am sure the dummy behind the stock did little to help it LOL) I have a friend that traps foxes and coons and we are going to try and setup on a coyote before the end of Feb.
Wish me luck
Tony
Everything I hear, read or see about them is that they are smart as H*** hopefully these have had no hunting pressure so they will help us a little and come to the call

GabbyM
01-26-2014, 12:19 AM
Yes Menner they are smart. They also do not yelp when in proximity to humans so you do not here them unless you go out into the wilderness.

No one notice coyotes around Learna Illinois back in the 1990's. A girl in my daughters class was attacked by yotes as she took out the trash after dark. Next day locals held a yote drive. filled the beds of two pickups with yotes from a single square mile. Over populated and hungry.

Menner
01-26-2014, 12:45 AM
hopefully we can get a handle on these things before the get to thick all the hunters I have talked to are motivated to hunt them and get rid of them they are as far as we are concerned an invasive species and I have heard that they will play H*** with the Deer pop

MaryB
01-26-2014, 04:41 AM
Twice this winter the coyotes have been in the pines across the road as I took trash out. They have gotten wary of me after being shot at a few times and killing one. I am on the edge of town and they come through my yard on the way into town looking for stray pets.

Yes Menner they are smart. They also do not yelp when in proximity to humans so you do not here them unless you go out into the wilderness.

No one notice coyotes around Learna Illinois back in the 1990's. A girl in my daughters class was attacked by yotes as she took out the trash after dark. Next day locals held a yote drive. filled the beds of two pickups with yotes from a single square mile. Over populated and hungry.

trapper9260
01-26-2014, 08:53 AM
I trap coyotes and got 4 this season.There pelts are not a bad price this season.I have some around my house and hear them once in awhile and talk to my coydog also at times.They are smarter then some people I know and like that is stated that once you smart them up then they are hard to get.One year I had one got caught in my foothold trap and only held by one toe and got out of the trap before i could get a 2nd shot and then did not had any luck but on a farm down the road I had a snare in the fence line and got him that was one month later. the only reason i know it was the same one was the scare on his foot and then when caught in the foothold he lost some fur on his tail.When you have a the main male and female that is not given any problems in the area they will keep the rest out. But the older ones are the ones that is hard to get because of they where smarten up and you will have the young of the year that is the dumb ones.They are the easy ones to get.But they do learn fast.i found out more about them with at the time my 2 coydogs .i got them as puppies trapping coyotes in a foothold trap that one got caught in and the other stated with his brother.lost one to lung cancer and now the one left is just over 12 years old now.the vet said at the time i got them they where about 6 1/2 weeks old.

Randy C
01-26-2014, 03:58 PM
Trapping is one thing I must learn, there are times that they sit in the yard most time they are on the run.

trapper9260
01-26-2014, 05:31 PM
Trapping is one thin I must learn, there are times that they sit in the yard most time they are on the run.

Trapping is a fun way of getting some thing because they make you think more like the animal you are after and need to read there signs also.You also get to understand the animal better to get them.I do not only trap coyote but also fox,coon beaver,badger,mink,muskrat,river otter,skunk,possum

cricco
01-26-2014, 05:59 PM
My friend has a dairy farm just up the road from me. He's had coyotes take calves many times. Once, I was at his farm when he showed me a full grown heifer with her face chewed off. She had been on the ground calving when coyotes took the calf as it was half way out. The others went to work chewing on the heifers face. We shoot piles of them up there.

DLCTEX
01-26-2014, 06:11 PM
We had coyotes killing calves on a place with wheat field and heavy brush. Traps took care of 6 or 7 quickly by setting traps by the carcasses. We had one that lost a toe in a trap that had a large track. We continued to trap for it without success. It would even wipe the dirt off the trap pan without springing the trap. We boiled the trap in water with a few mesquite beans, set another trap near the rear where the yote had been feeding, then set the boiled trap near the head of the carcass using a ground cloth that had been stored in a bucket with feed lot dirt along with the pancovers. Next day we had the biggest coyote I ever saw by far. Usually a trapped coyote will cower when approached and offer no resistence even when tied and thrown in back of a pickup. This one was aggressive to the end.

Randy C
01-26-2014, 08:58 PM
Trapping take s more devotion and time I'm short on time right now but I could buy a few things I need for later.

trapper9260
01-27-2014, 02:29 AM
You just set as many as you think you can check in the time you have.Also state law here is that you can not set with in expose bait of 20 feet.It is to stop from getting birds of pray. If you get them after a a dead animal and you just find it work on set some snares if they are with the law in you state in trails and you will be good to go also the others will not be spook from seeing one of the pack caught near the bait.