PDA

View Full Version : fall farming about to hit

Ron r
10-01-2013, 09:31 PM
getting ready to put winter wheat in the ground

and start cutting soybeans

Reg
10-01-2013, 10:55 PM
Wheat is all in here, dry land corn is all done. Waiting for the irrigated corn to dry down now.

Ron r
10-01-2013, 11:43 PM
we didn't get any corn in it was to wet

Sweetpea
10-01-2013, 11:52 PM
we didn't get any corn in it was to wet

Back when I was a young teenager,I helped a family friend with his farming a bit.

We had a very wet fall, and he left his corn in until May, when we could pick it, and it was relatively dry.

One farmer in the area picked at the normal time. When he took a load to the elevator, they checked the moisture content, and told him it would cost him six dollars to deliver his load.

He had a heart attack, and died right on the scales.

429421Cowboy
10-02-2013, 12:04 AM
Yep, that time of year! The wheat is in now, just waiting on the last of the corn, potato harvest should be about wrapped up and not sure about the sugar beets. About time to put in the haying equipment, we are just waiting to see if we get one last custom job, all of ours is in the stack now.
It has always amazed me being on my family's ranch down in Kansas that we run some cows with too, that they are able to plant a corn crop, harvest it and still have time to put beans or millet in and get a crop from that as well. Here it is all we can do with the moisture we do get to actually get the one crop off a field!

41 mag fan
10-02-2013, 09:22 AM
Good ...get all the dang crops out...esp here in IN. It's hunting season and standing corn deters the deer from staying in the woods.

mroliver77
10-02-2013, 10:38 AM
Corn and beans are coming out in a fury! The corn on our place is probably the best in history! Of course the price took a dump.
The Hessian fly date is Sept 22 so they can put wheat in as soon as the beans are out.

buckwheatpaul
10-02-2013, 01:03 PM
Finished putting winter rye and wheat in last Saturday.....minutes before we got a gentle 1-3/4" of rain......it has been a dry and hot summer in NE Tex.....Wish the rest of the farmers such good luck!