PDA

View Full Version : General purpose mold for 30-06

Cmm_3940
10-01-2013, 02:55 AM
I'm sure this has been done to death, but after searching the forums, I still have questions.

I am looking for a general-purpose mold for loading 30-06 in the 170gr range. I have a M1903 Sporter and a Winchester model 70, and am looking for a single mold that works well for both. I am currently looking at the Lyman 311041 and the much cheaper Lee 90368. I figure on using this for all-around use, from plinking, up to critters the size of a whitetail (but NOT here in Ohio, of course... :sad: ) I'll be using the 30-06 for things that need a bit more punch than I can get from my 5.56x45s.

I hope this adequately describes my situation. Will the Lee mold suffice, or does the more expensive Lyman (or other) mold offer enough improvement to justify the added expense?

Lead Fred
10-01-2013, 04:47 AM
I so dont like Lee molds. Ive got one for 30 cal 170gr Ive never used.

marvelshooter
10-01-2013, 07:23 AM
Give the Lyman 311291 a look. It is a 170 grain round nose gas check boolit. I shoot it in a '03A3 with good accuracy. I have a single cavity and I am watching for a double to come available only because the single is a little slow.

Horace
10-01-2013, 08:22 AM
Lyman 311291.

Horace

Char-Gar
10-01-2013, 08:35 AM
Yes lyman and other makes of molds are worth the extra price vis-a-vi the Lee. 311291 is an excellent design and a good choice.

aspangler
10-01-2013, 08:54 AM
I so dont like Lee molds. Ive got one for 30 cal 170gr Ive never used.
Want to sell or trade it? PM me if you do.

Wayne Smith
10-01-2013, 12:29 PM
If you are careful and treat it carefully a Lee mold will make you thousands of boolits. If you slam - bang them around they won't last. I'm choosing single cavity Lyman molds for my 03A3 because I intend to make some BruceB soft points with them and that is easier with an iron single cavity than any other way.

Char-Gar
10-01-2013, 01:04 PM
Used with care Lee molds will produce thousands of bullets. Used with care Lyman and other makes will produce hundreds of thousands of bullets. In truth, I don't know if a good mold has an upper limit as I have never got to that point, but I have cast a couple of hundred thousand out of several of them.

Any mold can be destroyed with careless use. I have molds that I have used for 50 years and are still as good as they day I acquired them.

Lee molds are what they are, i.e. low end products that work for limited period of time. If the specs are right and they fit your firearm they will do as well as any product. It is the quality of material that limits their life span. The aluminum used by NEI and currently used by NOE, Mountain Molds and others is much better and more costly stuff. It machines better and last longer. Not all steel is the same and not all aluminum is the same.

When it comes to bullet molds, you are paying for longevity. How long you want a mold to last is an individual choice. I like stuff to last and last and last and take pleasure in that fact. My reloading presses are 20, 50, 60 and 80 (2) years old. My powder measure are all at least 50 years old. Most of my reloading dies date back to the 50's and 60's. My newest dies are dated 1980.

My wife on the other hand, has a disposable mind set. She gets tired of things, discards them, just to have something new. I find that appalling, but keep my mouth shut (mostly) as long as she stays away from my stuff.

StratsMan
10-01-2013, 02:24 PM
Another current production mold to consider is Lyman 311332... It's a little over your target weight of 170 grains, but not much (180)... I shoot it's Big Brother, the -334, but that's not in production anymore and it's farther outside your desired weight range... but they shoot well...

Four-Sixty
10-01-2013, 03:00 PM
I too feel the Lee molds have a life span. That being said, I did buy two of the 170 grain RNFP recently. The first one had the alignment pins come loose after about 200 rounds. I tried to peen them in, but I did not do it right.

I got a second one and it was free of the usual flash from the production process. I lightly cleaned it, smoked it and it started dropping great bullets from the first throw. I think I had a rejection rate of like 3% from my first 100 casts. I only hope this second holds up more than a couple of hundred rounds...

bhn22
10-01-2013, 03:30 PM
I'm really fond of the RCBS 180 gr FN. It's always done everything I've expected of it. I use it in everything anymore.