PDA

View Full Version : Gas checks won't fit

Buck-N-Rut
10-01-2013, 12:08 AM
I had a single cavity Lyman 358156 and the gas checks went on fine through lee 358 sizer. I traded that mold for a double cavity 358156 but the base isn't the same size. It looks like the gas checks should go on but the base is a tad too big. What the heck? Any solutions? Help would be appreciated.

dromia
10-01-2013, 04:00 AM
You could try bevelling the base of the boolit's gas check shank, Al Nelson at NOE does a nifty little tool for this and/or you can flare the gas check by seating a suitably sized ball bearing on it and tapping with a hammer.

Is it the boolit over all that is bigger or just the gas check shank?

Is the mould closing completely, do the locating pins need resetting?

You could also play around with a cooler and/or softer alloy. Just because a mould is of the same design does not mean that it will perform the same way as another mould of the same design.

44man
10-01-2013, 09:22 AM
Common problem. I have some boolits I need to tap the check on by tapping on my bench, others I need to press them on in a die I made. The worst is when they are too loose.

Buck-N-Rut
10-01-2013, 10:26 AM
Just the gas check shank is bigger.

Wayne Smith
10-01-2013, 12:26 PM
Anneal your gas checks and push a ball bearing into them. This opens them up enough to be forced on the larger shank.